loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby loeuftok » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:12 pm

john,
you did not answer jo's questions...
also how do you hook in the trim strap on a fully maxed out kite?
you probably have harms twice the size of my legs and weight only 40 kg...

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

Postby John Holzhall » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:07 pm

if you are struggling with the concept, you shouldn't do it...for me...I start by pulling in on the depower strap, that depowers the kite...I hope you agree...then pull the entire powerstrap towards you for addtional depower...at that point the harness line will release and I can hook into my depower, or even on the top of the power strap...

Breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Breeze » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Not to spike the juice or anything but I have had experience teaching with both the more traditional long line length method and also the MLL method.

I feel that both have their advantages.

Lone line length gives a more accurate tale of true kiteboading and is suitable when, and only when, a student has demonstrated good kite control.

Multiple Line Length Method:
Provides a much less intimidating introduction to a potentially dangerous sport while allowing them to indivdually learn for themselves -- which is crucial.

Launch: Look at the basic logistics. Shorter lines = less powered launch and safer execution. If the kite goes out of control and the student does not release (which can happen easily - any experienced instructor knows this) the window is much smaller and the kite hits the ground earlier. This was the biggest difference for me as the instructor watching my student launch a kite.Obvioiusly, the student should know what to do but in reality, sometimes they become overwhelmed and forget what to do.

Kite Control: It allows the student to learn essential kite control without the kite whipping through a huge window -- when out of control the short-lined kite is quickly in the water. (less scary and dangerous) Because of the short lines, the student is forced to learn good control with subtle movements.(short lines-less travel to kite,more reactive) (very important for later stages with the board)

Relaunch: with the kite in the water much closer to the student, the student can understand much easier the true characteristics of the kite. Then the student can use the instructed methods in a more understood manner.

Self Rescue: not much different here but again they can see what is going on with the kite easier with shorter lines. Also, possible tangles with a first timer is much better with 7m lines than with 20m lines.

Kiting is a dangerous sport and any claim that makes it not so is false. THere will always be potential for danger. Myself, I enjoy to ride 30m lines most of the time. In waves i might go to 15's. I also used 7's for practicing handle passes -- which i thought was very useful. MLL might not be for everyone experienced with this sport but they do provide a great introduction to someone wanting to learn about it in a more controlled,less scary setting. Short lines allow you to give suitable power to suitable skill.

THats all i gots to say.

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

Postby John Holzhall » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:11 pm

That is well said...in fact, you are the MLL man now...good luck...I think a lot of guys don't know that in Entry level riding, mistakes will happen...being "careful" or "paying attention" is just motherly advice that is worth half a hand job...the real advice is to create an atmosphere where the mistakes that are going to happen don't kill the rider or close the beach...you illustrated it well...mahalo JH
Attachments
golowres.jpg
golowres.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:14 pm

Breeze, I most definatly agree with that, after my lesson and learning to respect the power of the Kite on full line lengths. I had some fear instilled in me, and most of the time I had a chance to get out on the water I was alone, kinda like the first time I had sex...
I used MLL 7m & 13M to practice body and board dragging. I spent most of my first sessions practicing the Upwind board drag right out of John's book I called John a few times and he really stressed the value of learning how to Upwind Board drag even before I learned how to get up and ride.
He was right, it has helped me in gaining kite skills and body and board position. I was very impressed with the wealth of information and the well organized manor its presented in the book. I will always reccomend a beginner take lessons but haveing John's book and DVD to refer back to is extreamly valuable. I can remember after my lesson my head was spinning, refering to the book after the lesson really helped with the basics like line setup, launch, self rescue. :thumb:

Hel2bDoct0r!
Rare Poster

Postby Hel2bDoct0r! » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 pm

short lines are for newbs who dont know how to fly the kite correctly.

When wave riding, use the smallest kite possible; to make this work you must use long lines and a board with ample float..

:cry:

Breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Breeze » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm

hey hel2bDoctOr

you are totally correct in saying that short lines are for newbies that don't know how to control their kite. That's short lines' advantage to long lines in learning.

As for waves.....riding with small kite, long lines, and bouyant board is just one style; not THE style. I love riding that setup most of the time but also love riding a fast wave with short lines is another style. Remember... if a newbie can shut the power off on a big kite with short lines, it shows more skill than turing to power off on a smaller kite with longer lines.

i would like to hear you say that Lou is a newbie for using short lines....

There are many styles to kiting. NOT right or wrong. One can learn that with experience.

Xtream
That's a good point. When one takes a lesson, it is packed full of so much info that when one goes to try again it is tough to remember it all. Alot of people don't have to worry about this b/c they always have people to ask on the beach. But, for the pioneer kiteboarders who bring this sport to their home, and don't have any immeadiate help, it is helpfull to have a safER method of refreshing what they have learnt. i.e short lines. then move on to longer lines and stay with them if you want.

rushmarkrush
Medium Poster

linelengths

Postby rushmarkrush » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:41 am

Have you guys even tried the different line lenghts and experimented with them? Have you given lessons and used the shorter lines for beginners? There is NO question it is a safer method for beginners and can work for anyone in higher wind conditions. There is give and take with both sides of the argument, but anything to make the sport safer cannot be bad.
As far as what Holzhall has done for the sport.....a lot.....in my opinion there is no better book or DVD for beginners, besides the fact that he has kept kiteboarding from being banned on Maui. A lot of you guys have never seen John ride and don't know him personally.....he rips and is always helping new riders on the beach.......many advanced riders don't give new riders the time of day. Without the new guys, all the intstructors and sponsored riders would NOT have anything.
All this over kite line lengths......? Try it and consider the possibilites.
D2 knows what he taking about, if anyone does.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:50 am

Xtream wrote:Breeze, I most definatly agree with that, after my lesson and learning to respect the power of the Kite on full line lengths. I had some fear instilled in me, and most of the time I had a chance to get out on the water I was alone, kinda like the first time I had sex...
Do you have some way of altering the length of your penis?
:lol:

I used MLL 7m & 13M to practice body and board dragging. I spent most of my first sessions practicing the Upwind board drag right out of John's book I called John a few times and he really stressed the value of learning how to Upwind Board drag even before I learned how to get up and ride.
He was right, it has helped me in gaining kite skills and body and board position. I was very impressed with the wealth of information and the well organized manor its presented in the book. I will always reccomend a beginner take lessons but haveing John's book and DVD to refer back to is extreamly valuable. I can remember after my lesson my head was spinning, refering to the book after the lesson really helped with the basics like line setup, launch, self rescue. :thumb:
There is no argument, that shorter lines drastically reduces the chances of injury or accident when learning to kite.
Anyone who argues against this, is simply ignorant of the facts, and must not have tried to teach people using short lines.

There is definately a place in the sport and industry for people like John, regardless of how he may have presented his argument on this forum at times.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:42 am

kitepower wrote:
There is no argument, that shorter lines drastically reduces the chances of injury or accident when learning to kite.
Anyone who argues against this, is simply ignorant of the facts, and must not have tried to teach people using short lines.

There is definately a place in the sport and industry for people like John, regardless of how he may have presented his argument on this forum at times.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

Regards,

“Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.â€

Return to “Kitesurfing”