Forum for kitesurfers
John Holzhall
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Killer advice

Postby John Holzhall » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 pm

Age, sex and certification are non issues when examining kiteboarding deaths...line length is the determining factor! Riders who launch on full length lines in strong often get worked. Guys like Rick Iossi have not yet warmed up to this concept...cyberkiters like Fokiter never logged hours on Multiple Line Lengths...but I have, and we've sold thousands of Multiple line Length sets over the years...
Maui School operator Alan Cadiz "Why do guys teach on full length lines, it's harder, it's just stupid"
Action Sports Maui School operator Dave Dorn "it's much easier on short lines (4,7, 10meter) why make something difficult harder" http://www.actionsportsmaui.com
For those guys who think it's just a Maui thing...here are some of the Florida guys...
Darryl Drown "The majority of range is in the line length...i sell more Multiple line Lengths than anyone" daryl@oceanextremesports.com
Doug at info@watersportswest.com "I won't sell a beginner a kite with out putting it on Entry Level Line Lengths"
A certification is worth half a hand job when the strong wind comes in, the right gear on the other hand is priceless...
http://www.kiteboardcenter.com
Attachments
graphlowre.jpg
graphlowre.jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
golowres.jpg
Tonisha on 4 meter lines 10 meter kite 20 knot winds 1st day
golowres.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

MOSES
Rare Poster

Postby MOSES » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:09 pm

John,

Whatsa matter? Sales down? Maui crew run you outta town?
Now you stoop to name dropping to sell your Multiple Line lengths?!
Let me tell ya what I think about em (and yes I've tried em)

Short lines change the performance of the kite period.
Instead of steady consistent power (with long lines) you get jerked around (like Hellfish buyers) and the power in the kite isnt consistent.
Jumps are pathetic and the kite sits far back in the window on the short lines.

There is a reason why most everybrand out there has the same length lines 27M+. The designers have found an optimal line length to maximize the kites performance and make it stable in the window.
The line lengths have remained the same (27m+) since kites have been mainstream. Designers have tried longer and shorter lines with poor results.

Instead of using diff line lengths why not just rig a smaller kite ?

Line length isnt killing kiteboarders, a lack of common sense and complacency is. Most accidents involve intermediate to advanced riders, doing stupid shit in ridiculous conditions. Poor judgement not long lines is the killer.
Stop bullshitting the newbies with your "fly one kite in any wind" rhetoric.
Stick to pimping the "betty hoops", which is a much better tool than 6 sets of lines.

MO

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

Postby John Holzhall » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:20 pm

Line length isnt killing kiteboarders, a lack of common sense and complacency is. Most accidents involve intermediate to advanced riders, doing stupid shit in ridiculous conditions. Poor judgement not long lines is the killer.
Stop bullshitting the newbies with your "fly one kite in any wind" rhetoric.
Stick to pimping the "betty hoops", which is a much better tool than 6 sets of lines.

MO[/quote]

just finishing the next book, would love to quote you...please post your real name...guys like you are why spots like Sunset Beach will be banned FOREVER!
So stop being a pussy, post your name so everyone can put a face with your killer advice...(I know who you are anyway)
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (157.94 KiB) Viewed 3422 times

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:35 pm

Regards,

I've attempted to address the importance of being important several times and was censored each time for my trouble.

My real name here is fokiten has been for years...

I'd just like to point out that here on the mainland that pictured position is commonly known as 11:00 o-clock.

No matter what one's name is.

Kind regards,,,and better luck my medium poster (pun intended)

fokiten
Last edited by fokiten on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: Killer advice

Postby abel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:43 pm

John Holzhall wrote:Age, sex and certification are non issues when examining kiteboarding deaths...
line length is the determining factor!
First sentence :thumb:

Second sentence ...mmmm......it seems to me that it is missleading.

Pushing the concept of your second sentence to an extreme case:

100% of kitesurf accidents are caused by using kites ! :o

C'mon !

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 pm

abel wrote:
John Holzhall wrote:Age, sex and certification are non issues when examining kiteboarding deaths...

C'mon !
You give him way too much credit able.

It's an outright lie that line length is the cause of kite deaths.

To disrespect the wind and insert yourself as savior is reprehensible.

It's the same old thing, kiss-ass blow sugar up your skirt industry pimps post the real offensive crap.

Too disrespect our dead is pretty low,,pretty reprehensible

fokiten

titanutah
Rare Poster

Postby titanutah » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:00 am

just for verification. not that I agree with the this system, but that looks like 2 o'clock to me. she is turning the kite to the right. the left wingtip is higher than the right and she is leaning to the right because her body is being pulled by the kite. thats 1 or 2 o'clock. guess it could be 11 though if she were bringing the kite up from 9. wtf, why am I even talking about this and who teaches like that? c'mon now thats just crazy. get a smaller kite.
Last edited by titanutah on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

Postby John Holzhall » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:01 am

abel wrote:

C'mon !
Look at the Rick Iossi death list...there have been no deaths on line lengths shorter than 20 meters...so go ahead, hang out on that side of the fence, but guys like Don Montigue and thousands of others who actually OWN and USE Multiple line Lengths disagree ...
the guy who just got Sunset beach closed down bought into killer advice... people say it's not the shops fault BULLSHIT...if he was on Entry Level Line lengths, the same mistake would still have happened...it is the result that would have changed...it's all about making the process sustainable
http://www.kiteboardcenter.com
Attachments
UBD1.jpg
UBD1.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

kitesurf73
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurf73 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:03 am

isnt hat more 12:30 1 a klock :)

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:07 am

John, What the hell have you done for the sport besides publish your books, and DVD (which really kinda sucks and is terribly edited both sound and video, not to mention your dorky dorky voice and tone), and plug every two seconds about your amazing KITES system. Rick doesn't earn a single dollar for all his work, maybe some compensation for his articles in mags, very deserved. I wish everyone would stop telling ricki his articles are boring, long, etc. If you have been on the forum for a little time you will know what his safety posts are about, and i think he has gotten major safety awareness to many kiters and prevented many accidents. By the way, very professional way of answering criticism above! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Makes us all want to run out and buy your line lengths!
Last edited by Andres_Santacruz on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”