Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where are the old riders of the pkra?

Postby pk » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Where are the old riders of the pkra?
I mean all we now: Vari, Tobias,= surfing
Jaime Herrainz= testing kites
Some people say that they are old for the actual competition, I don't believe so; but anyway what about:
Lago,Solbach, Aragno, Gonzales, Catellan, Luengo, all of them are still ripping and with better style than some others of the top ten pkra.
How many time will last this new generation, one or two years?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitedude » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm

theres not much money being a kite surf pro rider so they have all moved on to a more reliable income.

Also i heard that the parties and the whole scene went down hill as the competitors where really to young to drink and have fun in half the places

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 pm

so we have to bring the fun back to the comps or events.

Maybe soon something great can be announced...stay tuned....

MIB
Rare Poster

Postby MIB » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:08 pm

dead?

what could be so impressive in this regard??
c
f..in insiders knowing everything always constantly.

kitefilm.com
Medium Poster

Postby kitefilm.com » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:31 pm

I think that the competition must change into more big air as one of the required features.
If not, no sponsors will pay the bill anymore, because people without a comprehensive wakeboard/kiteboard background will not be able to separate a backflip from a slimchance.
And therefore what looks lame to some is the supercool move to another.

Get back the variety in the heats so that you must do a number of tricks airs transitions kiteloops and so on to score high.
Not just go out so underpowered that you cant stay upwind, and do one big trick and you win the heat.

Thats my 2c.

But then again, i am an old school rider.

Best Regards
Ronny Basso
http://www.kitefilm.com

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 11/14 Enduro v2, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M, Alpha V1 8/10M, Hyperlink V1 9/12m, Chrono V3 13M UL Axis Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:32 pm

kitefilm.com wrote:I think that the competition must change into more big air as one of the required features.
If not, no sponsors will pay the bill anymore, because people without a comprehensive wakeboard/kiteboard background will not be able to separate a backflip from a slimchance.
And therefore what looks lame to some is the supercool move to another.

Get back the variety in the heats so that you must do a number of tricks airs transitions kiteloops and so on to score high.
Not just go out so underpowered that you cant stay upwind, and do one big trick and you win the heat.

Thats my 2c.

But then again, i am an old school rider.

Best Regards
Ronny Basso
http://www.kitefilm.com
Spot on Ronny :thumb:
All the wakestyle stuff can still be there, but the weighting should reflect variety and height. Listening to Mark Shinn talk about his experiences on the FUNK dvd, mirrors what you are saying.
I remember a post on here that said something about a major sponsor commenting to the PKRA organisers that they were in danger of disappearing up their own assholes, maybe that happened? :o
I hope comps return to reflect a greater sense of fun and show the exhilaration (height) of this awesome sport to others.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:12 am

Yeah,WAY too much emphasis on handle passes.etc.

Same with current videos. One handle pass after another.

What does a handle pass prove ?
Its just spinning around.....and around...and around.

However,to answer the question about the free riders. It is a facet of board riding sports these days,that riders that have an image and a reputation can get paid to travel and promote their sponsors without entering competitions.

Its a good thing in that, a good rider doesn't have to disapear off the radar,just because they are tired of competing.

Gary
Medium Poster

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:20 am

for me it's not only about big air or stop handles passes, it's more. let's get the guys to be more mature.. today they are all riding like Aaron is doing, you see one trick from Aaron and then you get 25 guys doing the same with no style... they all just copy they do not create.
the judges should check more the style and variety. look at guys like Andre Philipp, Mauricio Abreu and the wake style scene they got the style but do not compete because a stylee slim chance makes less points in a contest than a no style kite loop handle pass..
and then yes sure I agree it should jump higher so people would have interest watching a contest.. right now it's pretty lame to watch..
I've seen some images of venezuela slider contest.. it sucked bad compare to any slider contest in a wakeboard contest..
maybe after few years it's gonna become more mature. like snowboard contest where not everybody is doing the same trick to win the contest..
also the guys should make more money with prize money, they still have the same prize money as 3 years ago.. it should be more money on the contest so as a joe mama guy you would believe this is a real sport and watch it with more interest...

Nik_KiteAntigua
Medium Poster

Postby Nik_KiteAntigua » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:41 pm

The best riders have left the tour because it does not appreciate the CORE skills of the riders and appears to focus on HYPE instead. Riders like Vari, Phillip and even Shin became disenchanted with the judging at least a couple of seasons ago due to its lack of appreciation for style and innovation.

Dangle? You can’t be serious about big air type moves as being part of the core of the sport. Sending your kite proficiently to get big air is an intermediate skill level maneuver; plain and simple. It does not test the rider or push the limit (hence the board offs from shear boredom whilst airborne). Regardless of “appearanceâ€

peep
Medium Poster

Postby peep » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:38 pm

like any of those trust funded guys, have ever had a job. Pro kiting is only for kids who get shit loads of money thrown at them by there parents, there are so many Hadlows, Lentens and so on around this world with no Trust fund familes to send them to the best places in the world to kite 12months of the year.
kiting is such a progressive sport that if alot of guys had the money you would see a lot of fuckin great riders!

Return to “Kitesurfing”