Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

bow-shit

Forum for kitesurfers
kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bow-shit

Postby kitefrog » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:31 am

its all bullshit. and u all buy it.

stop it now

big deal a 2 kite quiver, not a three kite quiver cause the kite company adds a few contact points to the bladder with strings and changes the shape of the kite which costs the same anyway.

now a 12m costs 25% more, and all for no other than a few meters of dynema cord and a 6 or 7 patches of reinforced stitched on tages.

don't buy them. f*** off ocean dipshit, takcock, slingnut. airfart, cabshit, and worst. Flexifoil made it first, it was shit then and shit now.

We must stop it becoming viral and kite companies ripping us off. A kite cost them $100 (£70) to make.

Kitefrog

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:52 am

dear kitefrog,

come on, you can tell us...
is it not enough wind or not enough sex? or both?

good luck

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:00 am

Its funny how everyone says its all hype and marketing. I havn't seen one ad yet for a Bow, and all the hype is being spread by people like me who are just excited about new stuff, and have no hidden agenda.

The same talk was happening when 4 lines first came out. People like the frog were saying it was all shit, and real mean only need two lines, and 4 lines for beginners because if you know how to edge then what you need to depower for etc.

There are always people that are scared of change, so they make up names like "chicken loop" to try and stay in control and bag the people innovating. And then when everyone forgets about the bagging they go out 2 years later and follow like sheep.

I agree there is a lot of hype going on. Time will tell how much of it is bullshit, or more to the point people just getting too excited about new stuff.

The only thing to do is try. I can't beleive how many people have opinions on these kites when they obviously havn't used them. What gives?

cape kiter
Rare Poster

Postby cape kiter » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:17 am

My question to you sir is this?Have you even tried it?Probably not.Why bitch and complain about something that you don't even want to try,because believe me you would think differently.I have been kiting for a while and have flown everything from 2 lines to 4 lines and have taken advancement in a positive way.If you dissagree or don't like itI suggest you try it before you knock it.I suppose the next arguement is how boards are getting shorter and wider.
G

GAZZABA
Medium Poster

Postby GAZZABA » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:55 am

here is the thing; i don't own a bow and won't for the next year or so....

a good friend of mine does and I have been riding his 16 and 12 xbow several times. He rides his 2006 12 xbow powered on a 140 icon when I ride my 2005 CO2 14 150 and am underpowered. We have typically been riding the same gear... until now.

I took his 16 xbow out in 10 - 12 mph on his 140 icon two days ago and kept ground upwind without a problem. These kites are FAR more effiecient, hands down.

the thing; I have a full quiver and am not ready to sell to buy the newest gear at the fullest price. However, as new gear goes these kites are the best for the money... no question. A 12m bow will cover the wind range of my 14m co2 and 11m yarga without any question (period)... zero hype.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:07 am

GAZZABA wrote: He rides his 2006 12 xbow powered on a 140 icon when I ride my 2005 CO2 14 150 and am underpowered. We have typically been riding the same gear... until now.
There is absolutely nothing at all amazing about this, it just shows what a big mistake it was to make flat sizing the conventional way of measuring kites.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:12 am

The other good thing for the sport is that after a year or two of the sport's growth slowing down (sales etc.) people that have been kiting for a while like me have something to get interested in again.

All this forum talk, and new innovations will lead to people (that want to) buying and selling kites and giving the manucaturers a kick so they can keep on innovating. After Changing kites every season for the first 4 years, I have stuck with my slingys for the past 2.5. This obviously means that slingys are good kites, but also some the interest is starting to wane...

All I want to do now is get my ordered CB's and underground 5'8 surfboard and go in search of waves (I already ride a mutant). I haven't been this amped about kiting for ages. Its all good for the sport.

A lot of people will cross over from surfing this year when they see what can be done on a CB and surfboard.

captainkirk
Medium Poster

Postby captainkirk » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:28 am

Is the bow kite for you? Please take a moment to answer a few questions...

1) Do you enjoy fully depowered kiteloops that look super lame?

2) Do you get scared when a gust hits and are so shit that you need UDS-style chicken-shit depower?
3) Do you think "unhooking" is overrated and is for delinquents?
4) Do you cruise back and forth and do nothing?
5) Do you think "boosting" and landing softly actually looks hardcore?
6) Do you crave the complexity of bridles?
7) Have you always wanted a bar that has 3,000 moving parts?
8) Are you over the age of 50?
9) Have you been "learning" now for the past 4 years and have progressed like a snail?
10) Do you consider yourself a "good" kiter yet have trouble relaunching a kite in 15 knots?
11) Do you constantly talk about "aspect ratios", "angle of attack", line lengths, bar lengths, and canopy materials with your buddies to the point they walk away from you becuase you are boring them?

If you have answered YES to ANY of the above - then congratulations - you may have found your dream kite

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:05 am

Get over yourself, CaptainKirk.

Beam me up, please.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:05 am

Kirk

They are the best reasons I have seen yet not to by a Bow. (Seriously).

I have been saying alot about the Bow, but I have always said each to their, own, and try it. What pisses me off is people who are scared of change bringing down those who want to embrace it. If you dont like the Bow then what do you care if people like them for their reasons.

Just because the Bow offers more overall control (for more hangtime, depower, soft landings, easy kiteloops if you want them) it doesn't mean that everyone that owns one has to ride like a lamo. The power moves that you could do with a Bow could shit all over the other options with enough balls.

The bow gies you choices that other kites dont.

If you want power moves, then ride one unhooked. A 9m Bow will spank you much harder than an 11m Fuel in 25 knots if you want to be spanked. And if you really want to be spanked then use a 12 and unhook.

Tobias style kiteloops appeal to me too, but I don't have any interest in pasing the bar behind my back with a cool grin on my face 3 feet off the water.

It seems that some of the so called 'progressive' riders are actually just trying to relive days spent behind a boat. If a kite can get you higher and more out of shape, then why not use the power?

And with a name from Star Trek, I suspect that you might be more interested in angle of attack than me.

:wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”