Does ANYBODY still use a board leash?!

Forum for kitesurfers
phree
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does ANYBODY still use a board leash?!

Postby phree » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:19 am

I remember this topic setting off some hot comments here on the forum a few years ago so please keep it cool! :peace:

I understand that most riders are probably going leashless and that's great! Its a personal choice, for sure. :decision:

I think a board leash can still be a good thing for some riders. Of course a helmet is a must with a board leash and I think a retractable leash like the RLI reel leash is the way to go if using a leash at all. :anon:

Anyway, I'm just curious what spots are still seeing board leashes used. :whogives:

shredster
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Nobody

Postby shredster » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:32 am

No one uses a board leash in our area with kiteboards. I know some of the strapless board users do use them. :bye:

PiaKite
Frequent Poster

Postby PiaKite » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:03 am

Don't use a leash to ride.

However where I live part of the year, I must ride on the Illinois river. It's ringed by trees, has virtually no beach, and as far as I know, there are no other kiterboarders in Peoria. The only way to launch here is to self-drift launch. So, I'm getting a Turbo-launcher and figure as I let the kite drift either out or back to shore, I'll need both hands to control the bar and Turbo-launcher. Since I don't want the board to drift away also, I'll probably leash it to me until I get the kite water-launched and then disconnect the leash.

This is the only time I believe I'd use a leash - just to keep the board close when starting out from a drift launch.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:16 am

I always have my retractable leash on my harness.
I am using it less these days, but I will always have it handy.
Starting to ride strapless so I will be needing it more again.

I'll use it when I'm kiting large swell with not much wind.
It's a pain to body drag upwind in large swell.

As for using a helmet with a leash it's irrelevant.
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE A HELMET.

Nearly all kitesurfing fatalities were from head injuries that would have been avoided with a helmet.

Find a good attachment for your leash to your board so that the board does not nose dive underwater when pulled on the end of the leash or plane to fast back at you.

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Postby R a i n e r » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:00 am

YEP - I do!
But only NSI roll leash and only in waves :thumb:

coyoteboy
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:30 am

yup, reel leash and all the time, along with my helmet and vest (local spot is always wavey and has fast tides, 50% of the time in the opposite direction to the wind) Lost one board already, not gonna lose another!

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:36 am

Only in light fluky wind when there is a chance that a downed kite and separated board might cause a swim or lost board.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:49 pm

PHREE,

Is the RLI reel leash the same thing as the NSI Oceanic made reel leash?

I took a guy to the hospital who needed 14 staples in his head because of the board recoil from this leash. He wore no helmet, but it could have been a neck injury, even with a helmet. That was the day I dug out my old flyfishing reel and started experimenting with that.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:31 pm

I use the NSI reel leash (helmet and impact vest) 100% of the time. One thing that I did to reduce the risk of recoil is to attach a 4' bungee cord to my grab hangle and I attach the leash to it. With this setup the board never seems to recoil at me and I never break a leash because it has more run. Leashes attached to the end of the board (fin insert) seem to cause the board to come back fast. With mine attached to the grab handle I actually have to pull on the leash to get mine back over to me. I like it that way.

Also, put the reel on your harness, not on your leg. If it is on your leg you can get all tangled up - which is not good.

Ed

coyoteboy
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:53 pm

ed257 wrote: With mine attached to the grab handle I actually have to pull on the leash to get mine back over to me. I like it that way.
I got sick of the 'anchor' effect when you crash at high speed, especially bad if you havent noticed the leash round your leg - vicelike grip when that happens.
I've NEVER had the board come back at me with this leash http://www.kitesurfari.com/store/reelbeefy.html
with normal rope leashes I agree the board comes back with a snap. Most of the time with my reel I have to wait 10 seconds for the board to pull towards me, and thats with the attachment at the very tip.

J

Return to “Kitesurfing”