Forum for kitesurfers
coyoteboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coyoteboy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:36 pm

kitezilla wrote:Don't get me started!!
You must have exceptionally sharp fins to do that without crumpling the paper at the impact edge, hell, you can barely do that with a razor blade without crumpling the impact edge.
If you arent leashed to it it could float off and do just that to someone else. Everyones been sliced by a fin, ive been sliced by a fin when i had no leash on, ive almost been sliced by someone elses fin when their board came out of the waves at me - fortunately just clonked me on the helmet. I have not been sliced by a fin since my board remained tethered 10ft away from me.

wabisabi
Rare Poster

Board leash injury

Postby wabisabi » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:18 am

I just started kiting in June and used a leash. I didn't wear a helmet because I need to feel the wind on my ears. I never worried too much about getting hit because it didn't happen, even with my beginner floppings around.

However, once I started actually RIDING with some speed, one day I got a nice hint from the universe, a serious slam on the back of the head, that it was time to lose the leash. A helmet would NOT have helped, the board recoiled diagonally up from under the water and the board's corner hit me right under the hairline and made a gash. Nice.

Next day I lost the leash, and realized I really didn't need it. It forced me to concentrate more on not wiping out. No more lazy kiting! I got better at body dragging upwind to fetch the board, but those episodes are getting less frequent now. Good luck and be safe!

Angela

drbill
Rare Poster

Postby drbill » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:19 pm

wabisabi - I don't like my ears covered either. Thats why I use a helmet that dosen't cover my ears! I really like these (no affiliation)
http://www.gratefulheads.com/
Bill[/quote]

wabisabi
Rare Poster

Helmet

Postby wabisabi » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:45 pm

In reality they should invent something like baseball catchers use, but covering your whole head. Except you'd look like an idiot on the beach! Guess you gotta take some risks out there :P

wabisabi
Rare Poster

Slowing getting rid of the leash and helmet

Postby wabisabi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:34 pm

An update since my last post: I'm finally staying upwind!

I am a girl with long hair, and before I used to put my hair up in a ponytail so I wouldn't lose my Sea Specs. But then I got hit under the ponytail with the board. So for a short time, I kited without a leash. I was so frustrated wasting time and energy chasing after my board. I would get uptight worrying about losing the board, my performance really went downhill. So I decided on my own to start wearing a helmet and the leash. Then I could concentrate on refining my riding.

Once I started going upwind, I stopped wearing the helmet because I noticed I wasn't wiping out as much. Instead, I leave my hair completely loose with the Sea Specs on tight, and if the board does hit my head, I'm hoping my hair will deflect some of the blow. So far I have not lost the Sea Specs either.

It feels so much better not wearing a helmet, you can feel and hear the wind more, and my Sea Specs don't fog up as much. The helmet is one less thing to bring to the beach. I have to admit I don't feel like such a dork now!

I will probably wean myself from the leash too, then I will feel like I am going commando!

ericthekiteflyer
Rare Poster

bahama crossing

Postby ericthekiteflyer » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:30 pm

For all those heroes out there....

For the Bahama Crossing I bought the Reel spinning leash
Greatest invention, no body dragging in the Gulfstream, No worries, leash goes out, and slowly pulls board back in. Don't spend time playing fishbait over deep waters, or trying to fight the current while lying there in the water tired from riding now trying to find your board in 10 ft seas. Just bring the kite up and no more drag, the leash will deliver.
Tx a million who ever came up with it, I'll be their spokesperson.
Made a big difference in time and in mind !!

Eric

Team Windjammers

http://public.fotki.com/EricKite/bahama_crossing/

:thumb:

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Always use a reel leash Never had a problem in 4 years. Helmet and impact vest required when using a leash. Requires fuse on board attachement (50lb tie wrap works perfectly). Recomend 3' leader from reel leach to board with bungy loop and plastic clasps.

The leash has saved me may hours of body dragging and very likely saved me a couple of lost boards as well. Like with all things there is a danger involved but the danger can be mitigated with a good set up and a helmet and impact vest which you probably should be wearing anyway.

Chris

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 pm

With the minimal pull of a bow kite the problem of the kite digging in then snapping back at you is greatly released.

In the old days I lost blood and had the board fling itself over me and through the lines on more than one occasion.

kiteboard9097
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL
Gear: CABRINHA

Postby kiteboard9097 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:40 am

OZBungy wrote: With the minimal pull of a bow kite the problem of the kite digging in then snapping back at you is greatly released.
Are you saying that it is not neccesary to use a leash with bow kite[/quote]

windyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windyboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:48 am

I think the bigginers need to use board leashes and helmats and life vests. Because when I was a begginer I used board leashes because after a fall you need you board back it is too hard body dragging up wind every 3 minutes. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”