Forum for kitesurfers
preda
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Type wave 5thn line bar question

Postby preda » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:03 am

I have a RRD Type wave - I also use this kite for handle passes, but I have to put my leash on the chicken loop as a "suicide leash".

I have had a couple of times where, after failing a handle pass, the kite has simply looped in the power zone, dragging and half killing me 200 meters over water, and then 50 meters over land - scary :o This looping has happened quite a few times now - and, no, it doesn't crash into the water - it stays in the power zone looping - weird :o

Has anyone got a system or seen a system that alloes you to do this with the RRD type wave bar.

I have tried attaching a line further up the fifth line, and running it down through the bar, but because of the pully system, the and of this line lengthens and shortens when I move the bar.

So I am looking for a good idea to improve the safety to myself here - or wanting to hear if anyone has used another bar (more normal type with fifth) on the RRD Type wave - I want to keep using these kites if I can, as I love the turning speed of them.

I am asking Simone (RRD Kite designer) for some ideas, but want to hear from anyone out there who is mybe hacing the same issues.

Any serious helpfull ideas would be appreciated.

Preda

Preda

Simone
Rare Poster

Postby Simone » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi Preda,

The TypeWave have been designed mostly for wave riding. Some riders like you, really enjoy the super fast turning speed of the kite to do more then wave riding with it.
The TypeWave bar features a Total Depower System that allow you to ride in any conditions depowering completely the kite by just moving the bar away from the body. The TypeWave bar was not designed keeping Handle Passes in mind. If you moslty like to do Freestyle with you TW, you'll probably ride better using the kite with a normal 5th line bar like the one for the new T7. This bar will help you more during crashes. You can put back on the WaveBar when ride waves or going out in strong wind to boost big air.
The new TypeWave2 bar comes equipped with more features and is less "waveriding only" oriented, give it a try if you can.

Aloha
Simone Vannucci

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:59 am

we have very much enjoyed the type wave both on flat and in the waves, but there is no solution on a failed pass with the wave bar. If you can get a hand on the bar, you can just push it away, which is great on a regular crash....but not a handle pass.

On the other hand, the type 7 bar is so nice that, on a lighter wind day, my kids were throwing mobes on the beach with the 5 type 7.....the release was so sure that there was no problems with letting go to the leash...they are stoked that the 7 is so stable, but still quick like the 6.

I do not know if Simone is going to check this post again - we met you when you came out to SF - but I have rigged the type 7 on the old wave bar. Worked quite well in the surf, but I understand that there is some sort of span line that will come out with the new type wave bar that might help the stablility of the kite when sheeted out and the kite is hanging on the 5th line. Can you give any pointers on how to rig that, as it might be awhile before you ship the new wave bar to Cabal? Simply tip to tip, or will the 5th line go through the span line like the type wave?

On another note, my wife, who also kites, would like to know if a styling Italian firm like RRD might have any clothing for sale? The type 7 is everything I hoped for....nice in waves, good boost, and great for unhooked and looping...just a very fun kite!

bob

preda
Rare Poster

Postby preda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:51 am

Hi Simone - Hope you got home from DK safe and sound.

In the message above, I could read that a span line for T7.... etc.

Having the wave, I know all about the span line of course :D

When you ride the type wave on a T7 bar, do you take the span line off - or leave it on?

I will get a couple of bars (new TW & a new T7 bars) from Mikael, and try them out.

See again some time soon mate.

Preda

fskite
Medium Poster

Postby fskite » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:54 am

Just an idea - but I removed the span line because I didnt like how it behaved when I had to dump it in a squall - it just floated upside down with a lot of power! Also you could move the stopper back to depower more a la the nova - I have been considering putting a front bridle on this kite to see if I can get the same depower as the new bow kites - but preserving the rediculous turning speed of this kite (which becomes adictive when you get used to it). Let me know if anyone has the ball to try it!!

rene q
Rare Poster

Postby rene q » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Hi Preda - long time no see :bye:
Maybe I have the solution to your problem.
I have the wave bar too, and just came up with this idea:

You mount a metal ring on the 5'th line between the bar and chicken loop/wheel (on the one that comes from the kite to the wheel).
Then you mount your handle pass leach to the metal ring.

Now you have your instant total depower, not dependant on the bars movement, but directly pulled by the leach/metal ring.

I mounted this today and will try it out next time on the water. This is still theory, but it must work.

Hope everything is well.

Se ya

René
Attachments
Handlepass ring on RRD wave bar.jpg
Handlepass ring on RRD wave bar.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Last edited by rene q on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 pm

that sounds like a pretty cool idea...Let us know how it works..

bob

rene q
Rare Poster

Postby rene q » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Hmmm - just thought of the problem if the ring gets caught by the wheel on the wrong side :-? . Maybe a wheel similar to the other instead of the ring would do the trick and not get caught. I will try that.

Minime
Rare Poster

@ rene q

Postby Minime » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:11 pm

Hi Rene,

did you already have a chance to try your idea

"You mount a metal ring on the 5'th line between the bar and chicken loop/wheel "??

Would be interested how it worked out..
do the lines regulate the tension in the system by itself while the kite is released?
do you need to use a stopper on the 5th?

Well, thanks in advance
Minimeee :bye:

Minime
Rare Poster

Postby Minime » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi again,
still nobody who has an idea?

thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”