Friend loses small toe

Forum for kitesurfers
DSQ
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Friend loses small toe

Postby DSQ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 am

A friend went kiting on Saturday (15 Oct 05) where he encountered a bluebottle. In his attempt to remove the bluebottle from his arm he dropped the kite. The lines got wrapped around his leg and he managed to free himself except for his small toe. A wave took the kite and with the line being wrapped around his small toe and the force of the wave the line cut his toe clean off. He is now recovering at home with his pride severely dented.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 am

sorry to hear this. But it could have been worse, he should have this in mind.

What is a bluebottle?

Toby

DSQ
Rare Poster

Postby DSQ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 am

Here is a link that describes the Bluebottle or also known as Portuguese Man-of-War.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/bluebottle.htm

El_Gran_Extractor
Frequent Poster

Postby El_Gran_Extractor » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:12 am

Toby wrote:sorry to hear this. But it could have been worse, he should have this in mind.

What is a bluebottle?

Toby
Asking myself the same question :lol: , and were does it stick onto ? :?: :-? :o

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:17 am

ok, so kind of jellyfish, but I think pretty nasty once in contact with your skin, isn't it?

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MrBonk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:24 am

El_Gran_Extractor wrote:Asking myself the same question :lol: , and were does it stick onto ? :?: :-? :o
Wherever it wants to! They have barbed tentacles, which makes them very efficient at attaching themselves to skin :thumb:

They're rather unpleasant if you get stung, particularly if it's anywhere near a lymph node. I got one up inside my boardies earlier this year when I was kiting at Eurimbula and it stung me high on the thigh. When the toxin reached the lymph nodes in my groin.....oh man.....talk about uncomfortable :o

DSQ
Rare Poster

Postby DSQ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 am

Basically the Bluebottle just drifts with the wind and if you are in the water and it drifts into you the tentacles will stick to you and sting like hell. During summer we have a lot off bluebottles here (Durban - South Africa) if the north-east winds have been blowing for a few days.

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 am

DSQ wrote:Basically the Bluebottle just drifts with the wind and if you are in the water and it drifts into you the tentacles will stick to you and sting like hell. During summer we have a lot off bluebottles here (Durban - South Africa) if the north-east winds have been blowing for a few days.
Same with us. If the northerlies have been blowing for a while, loads of them can get blown in close to the shore. I've seen them like carpet on the beach here sometimes.

Bummer for your friend about his toe! Did it actually take the entire toe, bone and all? Nasty :o

DSQ
Rare Poster

Postby DSQ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:37 am

Yes it took the whole toe bone and all. Imagine the line was still wrapped around his leg. If you cut through the main artery in the leg you will bleed to death.

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:40 am

Very interesting ideas on treatment, such as not relying on vinegar or even helpful lifeguards, but using gloves or even no treatment at all:

http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/alstin ... portuguese

Return to “Kitesurfing”