Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what is THE super-boosting-kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:35 am

wow, thx a lot for all your feedback.

By the feedbak here it looks like all the companies have good products. I don't think that most kites are that dissimilar C-kites vs flat vs foil all have medium aspect and high aspect qualities....

I would like to try some of the flat kites, but I am afraid I will get some immediately....

Flysurfer seems like an interesting choice also, however nobody really flys them around here so I can't really test them or even see them live. I do think however that I will wait until I have to go kiting on snow for that. I don't know it doesn't natural to me that a foil can be relaunched from water....

Damn this is going to be the hardest choice ever. Maybe I'll be better off waiting for more reviews? It seems that there are many new kites just now, so I guess the reviews will start coming soon :-)
It'll be interesting to see what the Naish and Slingshot version will be like.
I'd also like to hear more from Windwing.

I am still a little hesitant about North after all the delaminating leading edges (in all fairness this was quite some time ago).

I actually have a Best Nemisis 10 meter, and I can tell you that it does not boost like the X10, but it does work better in the waves. I will try it in shorter lines...right now it is leaking so I will have to repair it...again..

in anycase I will keep looking, for sure...and this time I think I might have to do some testing....

Alex

GregW
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GregW » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:21 am

For hangtime and glide you want a flat kite. Either a Crossbow (or similar) or a bridled foil.

For rip-roaring balls to the wall go up really fast and come back down just as fast a conventional C-kite is the go.

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:02 pm

If you want hangtime, go for a speed for sure, no other kite comes close... for pop you problably want something a bit lower aspect...

http://www.flysurfer.de/images/Gallery/ ... AINING.wmv

:thumb:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:45 pm

tautologies wrote:wow, thx a lot for all your feedback.

Flysurfer seems like an interesting choice also, however nobody really flys them around here so I can't really test them or even see them live. I do think however that I will wait until I have to go kiting on snow for that. I don't know it doesn't natural to me that a foil can be relaunched from water....

Alex
Hi Alex

Don't be foooled into thinking that closed cell foils like the flysurfer speed
and Psycho do not relaunch.

When I got my Speed 17 I relaunched it within seconds on my second session with the kite, and I was not even using the right method!
There are some videos on the flysurfer website that show how you easy relaunch is. Relaunching the speed is a little harder than relaunching the other Flysurfer kites, but using the right method you will be in relaunch heaven. Remember a closed cell foil is very light and all of it floats on the surface of the water. I have relaunched both Flysurfer and Peter Lynn kites in wind to low to relaunch a heavy LEI.

Check out these videos to see how easy it is to relaunch a Flysurfer.
Ironically a Psycho relaunches pretty much like a Crossbow.

Check out these videos:
http://www.flysurfer.de/Gallery/view_al ... ngsvideos/

there is even one where a nut deliberatly fills a kite with water and with a bit of skill relaunches it anyway.

Check out this video too. It demonstrates how well the kite works in low wind, but the guy also relaunched and even though it was one of his first sessions and he did everything wrong just about the kite did not sink or get tangles up. Keep in mind how little wind there was when he relaunched:

http://www.radicalwaveibiza.com/speed17m.wmv

A lot of kiters keep away from Flysurfers because they think they are complicated and worry about relaunching. I was intrested in getting a flysurfer a year ago, but a bunch of people scared me away from them because of one rumor or another. Well I got the hardest one to fly and it only took me an hour or so to get aquainted with the kite. If you follow a couple of basic rules managing the bridel is no problem at all. Just never drop the bar into the bridel and the bridel will look after itself.

Don't worry about being the only guy out there with a flysurfer. I'm the only guy around here. Only saw one guy packing one up before I got mine, but the smile on his face left no doubt.

Cheers

Fred

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:08 pm

Jo Mac -
Re: Hi Alex,
I think the board makes a BIG difference. Just tried one with a shitload of pop the other day, jumps are like a whole nother world, more vertical too like on the spot, same kite.

What kind board were you riding?

SlimShaddy
Frequent Poster

Postby SlimShaddy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:41 pm

O C T A N E.......the one & only

:thumb: :thumb:
AGREED! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The octane's are like no other 06 kite coming our way.
If your an old schooler and want to boast sic air's the Octanes is the kite for you. No other 06 kite even comes close (based on personal testing in the gorge late fall)

slim

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:50 pm

Nukin wrote:Jo Mac -
Re: Hi Alex,
I think the board makes a BIG difference. Just tried one with a shitload of pop the other day, jumps are like a whole nother world, more vertical too like on the spot, same kite.

What kind board were you riding?
It's a whole different ball game

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:Hi Alex,
yup, I agree...but do you think that you might be better dialed in on one board? I mean my kiteboarding skills aren;t anywhere close to what you are doing...but I still feel that the right board for the right circumstances is important.

I also think I have to ride a lot faster to catch big bigger air...it is just hard to hold the edge while sending it, especially in the chop.

While we are on it..what techniques are people using to catch big air? I know take off from a wave, or head a little downwind to gain speed, before you edge and sendit...holding the edge for pop is a lot easier in flat water...but even so, some people consistently jump higher...partly equipment, mostly technique.

alex

jasevinda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jasevinda » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:05 pm

MUTANT + a Decent Hi aspect for height

Fast board + a Nova/Xbow/Sonic for hangtime

So SLINGSOT CIRCUIT + OCTANE it is then :wink:

Anyone can jump big with a mutant, Its easy!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:38 am

Hi Alex,
re:
do you think that you might be better dialed in on one board?
Jumping is a lot to do with control so a board that gives you more control in gnarly conditions will have you jumping more consistently.
It's not just about power.
This board really defined "pop" for me, it litteraly pops you straight out of the water, with a lot less power needed from the kite too..

You're right about board speed for jumps, the faster you go the better the jump, if you can keep control.
Also you want the right kite size and line length. Small kites jump higher and 25m seems to be a real nice line length.

About holding an edge while sending it, if the kite's too big there's more chance you'll get pulled off the edge and go fat instead of high, also big kites turn slower so you have more time to slow down during the sendit.

Holding an edge in the chop is board too, a flexible baord lets you jump anywhere, a stiff board you have to wait for a flat piece which may not coincide with the right gust. Pick up speed without edging too much, then give it the edge just as you want to pop. You can practice this in any wind or water conditions with the kite parked at the edge just using edging to jump.

If you're not overpowered wait for the gust to jump, if you're maxed out jump in the lulls and try to catch a gust in the air. Or put up a smaller kite, and you'll go higher.

Biggest jumps are off ramps, riding fast and sending it just at the right time. If you use waves properly the whole edging equation is much easier, but it can be hard to get the timing right. Like this you can jump riding downwind so with hardly any edge, just boost off the ramp.

Going high is really about the last few seconds before lift off and line tension, feel the power stored, let it build and explode.

A high AR kite can go higher if you stick it, but a Mid Ar will be easier to stick and give you more control in gusty stuff and be much better in the waves. High Ar in strong wind is like total power with tricky control, Mid Ar is chunky power and super control.

Return to “Kitesurfing”