Forum for kitesurfers
breathe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need a tip for getting higher jumps

Postby breathe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:35 pm

I am getting good air (4-5 meters), but I think that I'm traveling too far downwind in my jumps which leads me to believe that a lot of the energy in my jumps is spent laterally rather than vertically. When I send the kite back I think that it is not traveling over my head enough, but I'm sure that there is more to it than that.

Any tips on how to jump higher, without excessive lateral (downwind) flying is much appreciated.

Thanks

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:41 pm

ask pachito. he goes big

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:45 pm

are you sure you hold the edge unil the very last moment ?

mat
Frequent Poster

Postby mat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:46 pm

wat kite and board are you using ???????

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:48 pm

mat wrote:wat kite and board are you using ???????
Different stuff, but mostly Naish Boxers and a Jimmy Lewis board.

I try to hold my edge and lean back as I send the kite back, and when I feel the lift I try to jump into it.

mat
Frequent Poster

Postby mat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:24 pm

well any naish users may be able to better reaply to this but from what is read the boxer is not exactly a jumping machine just a realy good al round performer. what are the other people using that you are comparing you self to, if they are on high aspects then it is not all that supprising that you are not geting as much verticle lift as them, it could also be your board, what is the board like flexi, stiff, lenght etc.... what lenght lines are you using???
as far as what you should be doing, in theory any way, aproach the jump at a fairly high speed, genraly the faster you ride the higher you will jump, if however you are very overpowered you will not get as high a jump as if you where "perfictly" powered. so aproach the jump fast and the same with the kite the faster you redirect the kite the higher you should get, try to have the kite between 11 and 12 and send it to the oposite side but probably not as far or you will tend to come of you axis, there is also a difficult balance to master as far as power in the kite when jumping, if you fully power up the kite before sending it wil slow the kites traviling through the air, reducing the aparant wind and giving you a more horizontal jump, but at the same time if you fully depower you will simply not get the hieght you want, you have to balance it, not to much depower but at the same time dont power the kite up to much , there is a very fine balance.
as far as jumping toward the kite i really dont think in my opinion it is nessasery to "throw" ur self toward the kite this may actualy hinder you in gettin maximum height, i think that depending on the wind strenght obviously, you should simply edge untill your kite rips you of the water. also jumping of a wave will vastly increase you height. things that may help without having to buy a new board or invest in the latest hig aspect jumping monster are; bigger fins to help hold an edge, or widen your stance on your board, i.e. move you foot straps out as far as possible, if possible. and iff your lines are shorter than 25 meters get longer lines and if they are longer than 30 meters get some shorter ones, the longer the lines the more hang you will get, the shorter the more height, i think 27 meters is about right. hope this helps and hope its all correct apoligies is im wrong :thumb: just enjoy it.

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:37 pm

mat wrote:well any naish users may be able to better reaply to this but from what is read the boxer is not exactly a jumping machine just a realy good al round performer. what are the other people using that you are comparing you self to, if they are on high aspects then it is not all that supprising that you are not geting as much verticle lift as them, it could also be your board, what is the board like flexi, stiff, lenght etc.... what lenght lines are you using???
as far as what you should be doing, in theory any way, aproach the jump at a fairly high speed, genraly the faster you ride the higher you will jump, if however you are very overpowered you will not get as high a jump as if you where "perfictly" powered. so aproach the jump fast and the same with the kite the faster you redirect the kite the higher you should get, try to have the kite between 11 and 12 and send it to the oposite side but probably not as far or you will tend to come of you axis, there is also a difficult balance to master as far as power in the kite when jumping, if you fully power up the kite before sending it wil slow the kites traviling through the air, reducing the aparant wind and giving you a more horizontal jump, but at the same time if you fully depower you will simply not get the hieght you want, you have to balance it, not to much depower but at the same time dont power the kite up to much , there is a very fine balance.
as far as jumping toward the kite i really dont think in my opinion it is nessasery to "throw" ur self toward the kite this may actualy hinder you in gettin maximum height, i think that depending on the wind strenght obviously, you should simply edge untill your kite rips you of the water. also jumping of a wave will vastly increase you height. things that may help without having to buy a new board or invest in the latest hig aspect jumping monster are; bigger fins to help hold an edge, or widen your stance on your board, i.e. move you foot straps out as far as possible, if possible. and iff your lines are shorter than 25 meters get longer lines and if they are longer than 30 meters get some shorter ones, the longer the lines the more hang you will get, the shorter the more height, i think 27 meters is about right. hope this helps and hope its all correct apoligies is im wrong :thumb: just enjoy it.

Thanks. I use 27m lines.

I guess this really came about when someone on the beach said that they thought that I was flying too far downwind when I jumped and was thus loosing height. The guys said to carve upwind at the end of the jump, sort of throwing the board upwind as you get pulled off the water. I tried this a few times, but couldn't be sure if it really worked. I know that when you get decent height that you will fly downwind, but it seems that more experienced riders fly more straight up and don't land as far down wind as I do. Going to keep practicing... but thought that there might be a trick for it.

mat
Frequent Poster

Postby mat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:44 pm

where are you flying the kite back from i.e. when you are riding along and go to d oa jump at what angle is you kite when you go to sned it back???

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:06 pm

mat wrote:where are you flying the kite back from i.e. when you are riding along and go to d oa jump at what angle is you kite when you go to sned it back???
I try to let the kite drift slowly up to 10 or 11, then set it there and get ready to send it back once I'm ready, then i pull hard on my back hand.. don't really look at the kite on the way back, but i think that it goes to about 1. The move is pretty quick, and I think that it might be a hair too low and may be across the window too much which creates the pull downwind. Thinking that maybe a carve upwind will get the kite to travel higher across the window, thus more vertical lift and less downwind pull...

mat
Frequent Poster

Postby mat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:19 pm

sounds about right, just try different things out, its mainly down to experiance i dont think anytone jumps high at first :D tho your first jump feels as high as your jumps two years into kite boarddig eveen if they are 30 foot higher or so. :thumb: have fun

Return to “Kitesurfing”