Transponder for finding lost board?

Forum for kitesurfers
tukyank
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Transponder for finding lost board?

Postby tukyank » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:34 pm

Lost my board yesterday :oops: ...if you want the story read below.

The loss got me thinking about safe ways to prevent losing another one, and what came to mind is those transponders that everybody wears when going skiing in avalanche country. They are small enough that one could be taped or strapped to a board and I believe the batteries should last a full day.

Has anyone tried this or had recent experience with these devices?
I've had to "search" for my board on many occasions but have always found it -however, I think some sort of transponder would be a great insurance policy and may also contribute to overall kite safety. For example: in kite mare situations, poor decions may be made if you are but worried about losing your board. To me, I like the idea of only worrying about my one safety and getting the kite under control...if possible.

...The story,

Freak november day here in Toronto, 20C and 10-25kts from the SW.
(its usually freezing this time of year).
Desperate for a final session of the season, I headed out with my x-bow 16. I was the only one on the water so I stayed within swimming distance. Had a great session for about 90mins (practicing the many tips on getting big - which BTW way - do work...but timing and technique are critical).
The wind started to get really gusty (5-28kts) and even the X-bow was having trouble, so I decided to come in. On my way in I tried on last jump and wasn't edging hard enough. I swung under the kite and it hindenberged down, rooling over a couple of times. After getting dragged for a while as I tried to figure out the tangle, I got seperated from my board. At one point, I contemplated ditching the kite as i was getting dragged away from shore (water was very cold) and I was not getting any depower. Fortunately, I realized that on of the lines was caught on the chicken loop and when I got it off - I had better control. The front and rear lines were tangled with each other but the kite was contrllable enough for me to body drag to shore. Once I got to shore and secured the kite I went looking for the board. The wind was side shore, with a slight angle on shore. I looked for 2 hours and combed over 5km of beach. Nothing. The wierd thing is that I was only 400m from shore when I ditched the board???? The wind is blowing the opposite direction today - so maybe it will come back...

At the end of the day - I'm happy I did not have to ditch the kite, which is worth much more than a 4 year old Wipika switcher. If I had a buddy to ride with, the board would not have been lost.
Also - I am not blaming the x-bow for the tangle as it can happen to any 4 line. It was my fault for blowing the jump. The x-bow, continues to impress as I doubt I would have been able to fly any othe kite in those king of gusty conditions.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Transponder for finding lost board?

Postby theflyingtinman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:39 pm

tukyank wrote:...what came to mind is those transponders that everybody wears when going skiing in avalanche country. They are small enough that one could be taped or strapped to a board and I believe the batteries should last a full day.
Good idea but the avalanche transponders I've seen have a pretty short
range (about 50m). Just tie a helium ballon to your board on about 6'
of string and velcro it to the back of your harness ... you'll be able to see
it from miles away with binoculars ;)

Of course it you happen to be the type that thinks helmets and life jackets
look dorky having a balloon hanging off your butt will be a big no-no ;)

Steve T

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:26 pm

tukyank wrote: Also - I am not blaming the x-bow for the tangle as it can happen to any 4 line.
I don't recall any other kite company suggesting that you can take a fucking 16m kite out in 28 knots wind!!!
tukyank wrote:The x-bow, continues to impress as I doubt I would have been able to fly any othe kite in those king of gusty conditions.
It is clear that you COULD NOT handle 5-28 knots "KING of gusty conditions" on a fucking 16m xbow. So keep yourself from becoming another Fokiten "shit for brain" factoid by using an appropriately sized kite... or be smart enough to go ice fishin!

So here's my open letter to Neil Pryde:

Isn't it time to end the stupid "100% perfectly safe 100% depower so save some money on a 3 kite quiver and buy only one 16m xbow for 5-28knts wind"... I believe you can make more money if loyal if incredibly naive customers live long enough to become repeat customers!

It is clear that some of your customers actually believe the marketing hype... poor decions by customers combined with UNSAFE marketing is a concoction for another RickI "it must be squally windshear" death statistic.
tukyank wrote:For example: in kite mare situations, poor decions may be made if you are but worried about losing your board. To me, I like the idea of only worrying about my one safety and getting the kite under control...if possible.

Desperate for a final session of the season, I headed out with my x-bow 16.

The wind started to get really gusty (5-28kts) and even the X-bow was having trouble, so I decided to come in.

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:37 pm

if you are looking for your board often it might help to get a board painted in emergency signal orange....
:wink:

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 pm

I agree, those avalanche sensors have a short range. They won't work. Best advice is to have a board in bright coulours. And if you're not riding alone and you notice you're getting too far away from your board, wave to another kiteboarder to rescue your board...

P

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:47 pm

Here's a dumb idea that I started using...

I bought a 9" (23 cm) diameter bouy from West Marine. The bouy inflates with air and has a ring for a rope. I tied the bouy to the handle of my board. Now the bouy makes the board visible so that it is spotted quickly when it gets away from me.

Looks pretty lame with a 9" red ball between your feet when you ride. Plus it flops around a bit while riding. It is far from an ideal solution. Most useful on those really gusty days.

kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m

Postby kitefrog » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:47 pm

Tuk,

Wear a short board leash on your harness tucked in. If you crash the kite with your board still on, then hook into your board then sort out your kite.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:58 am

kitefrog wrote:Tuk,

Wear a short board leash on your harness tucked in. If you crash the kite with your board still on, then hook into your board then sort out your kite.
The Oceanic Reel Leash is perfect for temporary after-wipeout use
while sorting the kite (provided you can get to the board after the
wipeout)

Steve T

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:18 am

easy viet...take a huge deep breath and let it out slowly.

go to the site for cabrinha and get back to me on the suggested range of the 16m xbow.

they don't even come close to 28 knots. actually, i just looked it up for you and it says around 5-18mph. way way lower than your inapropriately conjured up 28mph.

the upper ranges are coming in from riders, not the companies.

looks like they are actually ahead of you on the thought process since they don't even recommend their own kites for that range.

the anger is coming across way too agressive my friend.

glad i could clear it up though.

have a great day.

overboard
Medium Poster

Postby overboard » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:06 am

Losing a board sucks. After I lost my 142 Wavetray I got some labels made up by a sign company offering a reward to the finder and my phone numbers and put them on each of my boards. Then at least I have a chance of getting a board returned if I lose it. Worked when I lost my 120 SWT when I was carted off to hospitel after a kiting accident.

Return to “Kitesurfing”