Forum for kitesurfers
local
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby local » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:53 pm

For me it started after I began doing kiteloops. I guess the sudden load messed something up. I am trying to take it a bit easy, then focus on doing more pull ups and other exercises. Starting to get my kiteloos down, but it hurts like a mother several days after. Hoping the wind will be shit for a few weeks so i can recop. :-?

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:05 pm

I agree; people seem to be talking about two different types of injuries.

On the Bicep pain: Check to see if there is a sore spot on the top of your shoulder. To locate the area I am talking about; stand straight up with your arms straight down at your side in a kind of solder's position. Using the non-painful arm find the end of your collar bone where it meets your shoulder on the painful arm. Now work your way directly forward (not to the side down your arm) with your fingers about two inches so you are over the round portion of your shoulder on the same plane as your chest. Another way to find this area is to put your chest up against a wall standing up and move your shoulders forward so they touch the wall. The place where your shoulder contacts the wall is a good place to start. Feel all around this area moving pushing in and around. If you find a spot in this area that is particularly sore then that tendon needs to be put back in place. Often times a Chiropractor can simply use a spring loaded Activator to punch it back in place. I'm not a real fan of the Activator, as I much prefer the hands-on manipulation, but it does work pretty well for this type of misalignment. We generate tremendous forces on our bodies in pulling hard on the bar, especially when pulling the kite back overhead after a jump, and often times our muscles are stronger than the capacity of what the tendons are ready to handle. Stretching can help to avoid this type of injury, but once it had occurred you really need to get that tendon back in place. You can also rupture the tendon, but it is probably just out of place. Ibuprofen will help reduce the inflammation, and taking some an hour or two before seeing the Chiropractor can help make it easier to realign the bicep tendon back in place. Most medical doctors will only deal with bicep tendon ruptures and will give you anti-inflammatory drugs for what you are experiencing; but you really need to get it back in place or it will remain sore both in your shoulder and bicep. Once it is back in place you will need to give it some real rest so the ligaments that hold it in place can heal properly. Avoid any panic yanking on the bar motion even after it feels better. For me the key is in checking for the painful spot at the shoulder that I talked about earlier. Also the pain usually associated with this injury in relation to the bicep will be pain right in the center of the bicep radiating from the inside out (almost feels like the center of your bicep is going to tie up in a knot), and acute weakness on the arm. You have trouble even lifting you arm up when it has really been worked hard.

As far as the elbow injury: This is really common in kiteboarding, and deals with a similar tendon problem in the elbow. The muscles can over power the ability for the ligaments to hold the tendon in place. The elbow injury is usually an easy one to cure. Purchase a Velcro “tennis elbowâ€

Twister
Rare Poster

Postby Twister » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:10 am

Thanks for that post, the bicep pain you are describing is EXACTLY the pain I am feeling. As I have been off the water for a few weeks I can't tell whether or not I can locate the pain in my shoulder but I have a session planned for tomorrow so I guess I'll find out then!

Thanks again for your input, fingers crossed I can get re-alingned and put this pain behind me.

Cheers,

Twister

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:47 am

Hey Zenwind,

What about for the Tennis Elbow when you tried the bands, I even got casted, which was the worse mistake, and it still hurts like hell...

GOt PT, ultra sounds, massages, ice, strenghtening, very little amelioration maby 10%.
Strenghtening seems to be the more effectiv.
Glucosamine everyday,
Cortison shots, up to 3 a year
Even surgery better by 80 % after surgery, but when I kite a lot it still hurt a bit I would say 20% compare to B4 90%.
I have the same problem now with the other elbow but I am really hesitating about getting another surgery...

What do You thinK??

Thks...

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:24 am

Both my tennis elbow pain and deep bicep ache have gone since I got the GK Sonic. I am done with C-kites.

Ed

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 am

Fabjet1 Wrote:
Hey Zenwind,

What about for the Tennis Elbow when you tried the bands, I even got casted, which was the worse mistake, and it still hurts like hell...

GOt PT, ultra sounds, massages, ice, strenghtening, very little amelioration maby 10%.
Strenghtening seems to be the more effectiv.
Glucosamine everyday,
Cortison shots, up to 3 a year
Even surgery better by 80 % after surgery, but when I kite a lot it still hurt a bit I would say 20% compare to B4 90%.
I have the same problem now with the other elbow but I am really hesitating about getting another surgery...

What do You thinK??

Thks...
Fabjet1

What type of surgery did you have done, and did they find anything that was unusual?

Where exactly does it hurt, and what type of pain is it?

Does it hurt in all positions, or is it mostly when your arm is extended straight out and you are gripping tight.

Are there any other spots on your shoulder, forearm, or wrist that are painfull when you press on it?

Any spots other than where you are getting the pain in the elbow that trigger the pain there if you grab in that spot?

How long has this pain been going on?

speedreef
Medium Poster

Postby speedreef » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:35 am

when I broke my back (transverse process, L4 & L5)

in a good surf wipe out

the wise spine doctor told me

if what you are doing (activity) hurts your back, don't do it

sum bitch was right, back healed straight and fast

you can try all the ointments and therapy and if they fail you...

use the doc's advise

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm

Fabjet1

What type of surgery did you have done, and did they find anything that was unusual?

Right Arm, Epicondyle, basically if you are sitting and have your arm extended on a table laying flat, and you bend your RT elbow 90% angle with your hand in front of your chest, the scar lays on the top of the angle, where the tendon attach to the bone.
The tendon was super inflamated, they cut it in the middle longitudinaly to remove te inflamation.
Scraped around it the dead tissue due to the 3 cortison shots and closed it up.
Right after the operation it had relieved all pressure and pain and I felt much better. Surgeon said that operation was successful, did PT, and started kiting 3 months after, slowly.
Result much better than B4 but 3 years after surgery when I kite 2 or 3 days in a row problem reapears but less intense as B4.
In a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the worse pain, it is now a 3 as before was a 9.

Where exactly does it hurt, and what type of pain is it?

Where the tendon attach on top, and when I sarted after surgery and PT it started to hurt at the bottom also! Doc said that I was compensating, but went away after a while.
Unoperated left elbow the same symtomes, on top only, burn feels like my elbow as a small fire inside. If I press on it , it hurts.

Does it hurt in all positions, or is it mostly when your arm is extended
Extended and when I am gripping tight.

Are there any other spots on your shoulder, forearm, or wrist that are painfull when you press on it?

No.

Any spots other than where you are getting the pain in the elbow that trigger the pain there if you grab in that spot?

No I dont think so.

How long has this pain been going on?

Surgery 3 years ago for Rt arm.
Pain in left arm started 1.5 years ago....

Thks a lot, are you a Physio???

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:52 pm

Fabjet1

I will PM you, so check there for my response.

Just a word of warning to people. Your body doesn't lie, so if you start having any type of pain that keeps showing up again and again; do yourself a huge favor and take some action to fix the source of the pain. That action my be rest, it my be a visit to your practitioner, and it may mean you need to change the way your equipment is setup so you stop putting the same type of stress on the area in question. My suggestion is do not keep re-injuring your body by toughing it out through the pain. You will only make it worse, and sometimes cause a situation that makes it a chronic permanent thing. The pain is trying to tell you something is wrong that needs your attention.

daPolak
Rare Poster

Postby daPolak » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:01 pm

@Zenwind

.... isnt this exactly the spot I described? I agree and confirm that you have to put the nerve in place again or free it from whatever squeezes it and then I had to let it rest in peace for 2 weeks or so .......

Guys for the biceps: CHECK A GOOD CHIRO

Good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”