Kiting on Martha's Vineyard?

Forum for kitesurfers
SkiBum
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting on Martha's Vineyard?

Postby SkiBum » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 am

Can anyone tell me, are there any kiteboarding schools on Martha's Vineyard?
I've only had one kiteboarding experience, in Aruba a year ago, but I want to keep going. I'll be going to MV this August.
Any info. you can provide is most appreciated!

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:00 pm

there is http://www.skyhighkite.com/school.htm

but MV is not very windy in august. Enough to fly a kite around but not often enough to get out on the water.

So if you are there look them up. but if you are traveling specifically to kiteboard look elsewhere

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ed257 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59 pm

I agree with Peter. August is probably the lightest wind month up here. Lots of maybe 10 knot days, so if you are light and bring a big kite (20 meter) and board you might get some riding in. Spring and fall have a much higher probability of stronger winds.

Ed

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:45 am

What are the good launch spots up there?

Will probably get up there this Spring. Never been there before but a relative has a house up there and invited us. So, if its a kite destination and the wife wants to go, sounds like a plan!

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:09 pm

toddjb123 wrote:What are the good launch spots up there?

Will probably get up there this Spring. Never been there before but a relative has a house up there and invited us. So, if its a kite destination and the wife wants to go, sounds like a plan!
If you go before the beach season begins, you can kite in lots of places, after that there are lots of restrictions until lifeguards go home. Try Poge Bay.

Ed

skyhighkite
Rare Poster

Re: Kiting on Martha's Vineyard?

Postby skyhighkite » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:19 pm

The only certified and locally recognized kiteboarding school on Martha's Vineyard is Skyhigh Kiteboarding which has been operating on the island since 2002. Check out the recent article in the Boston Globe titled, "Wind Riders": http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... nd_riders/

Actually August is one of the best months of the year for wind! We have frequent SW trade winds in the 15-25 knot range, the water is warm, and the skies are sunny. Check out iwindsurf.com's historical data for Horseshoe Shoal, which is a great indicator for winds on the island. It's no surprise why they want to build our nations first off-shore wind farm here... Martha's Vineyard is truly a world class destination! Come and enjoy the east coast's best location.

I Like Ozone Kites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Napeague bay baby
Favorite Beaches: nappy
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Ozone sports

Postby I Like Ozone Kites » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:27 pm

octobber and november is pretty good august could be bad or it could be good.. over here in LI its usually the worst month.. unless u get a lot of thermals.

laxman8689
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite in greater boston area + cape cod
Favorite Beaches: nahant, chapin beach, west dennis beach
Style: just fucking awesome
Gear: North 14 M vegas, Slingshot 8M, Slingshot Darkslide 132, mystic harness

Postby laxman8689 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:03 pm

There is a new kiteboarding school on Martha's Vineyard offering kiteboarding lessons: www.nlwatersports.com

These guys started on Nantucket in 2016 and have since expanded onto Martha's Vineyard. They do a really good job (read their reviews) and teach you what you're doing so you know how to kitesurf the right way. Most important, they do boat support for every lesson and only have 1 kite in the sky per instructor so you always have a boat by your side as you learn which is awesome. Definitely check them out if you want to learn to kitesurf.

The wind is good on MV during the summer. There is a SW breeze that generally fills in the afternoon all summer so Cape Poge gets 15-25 and is great for kiting...only challenge is that you need a boat to get to it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”