Forum for kitesurfers
tommen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

weight of SS SRT for surfing

Postby tommen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 am

anyone tried the SS SRT for regular surfing with no kite? i hear it's a bit heavier than a regular surfboard? anyone know how significant it is? looking at the SRT 5.11 as a wave-kiteboard AND my new shortboard.

peaceout
tom

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:17 pm

I don't have an exact wieght of the board, but its still pretty light. It is heavier than a normal surfboard because it has to be built stronger to not break when kiting.

I haven't tried surfing one yet, our waves are frozen around here right now.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Tom,
It's pretty light.
The construction is honeycomb sandwich which I know because mine's taken quite a beating in storms this winter and is already showing it's guts. Don't know how much longer it'll last.
Awesome board, never been down a wave so fast in my life or had so much range out of anything.
Never loses it in the bottoms unless you're litteraly leaning on the water, tops great if you have the rear strap all the way back so your foot's over the thrusters.

I haven't tried surfing without a kite on it yet but I'm certainly going to. It's not a fish though, a fish will start sooner on small waves. Unless you're really light it'll have to be a decent wave to drop a board under 6' down. But if how it handles with a kite in the waves is anything to go by it should be great without too.

Straps full forwards and full back for a wide stance, big deckpad for gybing, jumps real high but don't screw up the landing.

Takes a while to get yer foot in. First session you'll probably hate it.

tommen
Medium Poster

Postby tommen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:46 pm

hm, doesn't sound too bad.
i have a pretty fat 6'6 surftech which i normally use for surfing. the 5'11 will mostly be for the days when it's too hard to get outside with the 6'6, as it's pretty buoyant.
my weight is 67kg, so yeah, the 5'11 is as small as i can go for a short-board. hopefully it's not too small or too heavy...

Return to “Kitesurfing”