Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Impact vest to prevent getting the wind knocked out?

Forum for kitesurfers
viktor
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Impact vest to prevent getting the wind knocked out?

Postby viktor » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:41 pm

I would like to know if a impact vest helps to prevent getting the wind knocked out when crashing in the water. Many impact vests have most of their protection over the spine but not much between the armpit and the upper rim of the harness. Had a not so nice experience by landing on my side after a jump on a wave getting the wind knocked out and then washed in the whitewater gasping for air, so is a impact vest of any use?

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby the_lone_wolf » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:48 pm

i use the Flysurfer impact vest which is a triumph of function over form, it certainly reduces the impact of big waves and big wipeouts, the downside is you look like a gimp but it also keeps you a little warmer in winter, the nice thing about this one is i can't tell i'm wearing it, some of the larger ones would probably reduce the impact severity further but you would notice them when riding? i dunno

bottom line is if it's cold or i'm going for anything heavy the impact vest goes on, i've been smacked around before and it can hurt, and getting the wind knocked out of you is scary :bye:

kite_n_rnd
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island, Folsom Lake
Favorite Beaches: LaVentana, El Sargento hot springs
Style: freeride
Gear: GK Sonic, Underground FLX 28

Postby kite_n_rnd » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:12 pm

I've come close to getting the wind knocked out of me
while wearing my impact vest, but it only lasted a few seconds. I agree with
'the_lone_wolf' that extra warmth is an added benefit.
It will also protect your upper body
in the unfortunate event of getting thrashed on land.

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:33 pm

I am almost positive my impact vest saved me from getting the wind knocked out. I was in the begining of a jump and a pig tail broke. I was never slamed as hard into the water as that. I almost had the wind knocked out of me with the vest on.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Gofer it. I've been using the Bare wakeboard impact vest for about 2 years.
takes a lot of the wack outta yer crashes and you won't notice you've got it on really. The buckles are bit of a hastle at first in a dry suit.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:58 pm

The answer is: NO. No impact vest will prevent it, but it will significantly reduce the likelyhood from it to happen.

It also offers great protection in other situations.

I have tested/looked at quite a few impact vests and have to say that the ones offered by kiteboarding brands are not in the same league as the ones offered in the wakeboarding range.

I therefore always look at their product range to find a suitable one for me. Note: I use a seat harness, so I don't mind if the vest is a bit longer...

Neil Pryde and Liquid Force make some outstanding ones for wakeboarders. As you know, these guys are often up for some hard impacts at decent speeeds.

Look for the ones with 'mesh' http://www.liquidforce.com/vests_impact.htm or http://www.neilpryde.com/product/wwear0 ... _fset.html

I've tried both and they really do the job.

P

kik128
Frequent Poster

Postby kik128 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:41 am

Guys,

The only impact / harness vest that I have used that is very good at limiting the wind getting knock out of you is the Cabrinha.

It is exactly the same as the http://www.neilpryde.com/product/wwear0 ... _fset.html Phillip suggests and is also a harnes. Great for Nuking days.

It has a mesh area around the impact zones to dissipate the force of the impact as well as cushion it. It does not simply pad you from the impact which is often the cause of the wind being knocked out of you.

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/products/impact_chest.php

It has high rib protection and also has a handle that helps where the wake ones don't.

One thing that it doesn't have is a knife pocket. This though can simply be rigged up if necessary

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:27 am

Not only do they help prevent the wind from being knocked out of you but they also give you a little extra floatation when sitting in the water. Not up to the same caliber as a PFD but they are better than nothing.

J.

VanSimms
Rare Poster

Postby VanSimms » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:12 am

Try the Wakeboarding Nevin Flak Jacket for seat stryle and the North Imact for Waist Both are awsome vests.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:56 am

I wear them kiting all the time. Gives you better endurance.

Except in light wind
When they get wet they get heavy and being too heavy sucks in light wind.
The lighter made vests are better, unless you want to float like a cork.

Return to “Kitesurfing”