Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby smokey » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Hey lesbo livestock

Speed and pop are the key!

50% pop what the f*** is that?!!!!

Look You need all the speed you can get considering the kite will be just off the water, there for no vertical lift from kite. with out max pop how are you going to get high enough to do the rotation and pull legs in for the landing.

You also stated that

"His kite is at a good angle but he is going for to much pop (hey most people go at it pussy, this guy went at it too hard, props there). What this does is loses the power out of the kite and its not pulling him when he is in the air, this makes him unable to get layed out flat. Less height more power more speed is required."

The only thing effecting him getting layed out flat is him kicking up his feet behind him or not. too much pop(if there is such a thing?)which could effect pull of the kite has nothing to do with getting layed out in the air. in fact the more pop the more momentom(sp?) the board has to help get it up higher

Personally I do them this way

-Bear off wind to pick up speed
-hands in the center of bar with kite sheeted well for unhooking
-kite low and locate take off (flats, kicker, waves)
-unhook edge and load hard
- pop as much as you can!
-extend arm's and kick up legs behind you
-throw leading sholder and head, down and forward
-come throught the rotation looking ahead to spot your landing
-Suck in you legs and pull the bar down and in to your waist.
-Land going with the kite and absorb to impact with legs

Smokey

LOL 50% pop that's a good one!!!!!

sir slingshot
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sir slingshot » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:16 am

this is my kinda railey
50% pop you know, those new pop O meters, i thought everybody had those?
Attachments
air.JPG
air.JPG (25.92 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Nice!

I think your pop meter need some calibration, if thats 50% then show me 100%

Smokey

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Yo lesbian. WTF??? Are you on foils? Kite loose power when you load up the pop???
No need to say more.

i say..

GO CABLE!!!

You cant cheat..
(Cheating =Kite high, not enough pop, not enough speed and not enough commitment!) 8)

Stone
Medium Poster

Postby Stone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:58 am

Just ask Shannon Best, it's named after him.

If you can't track him down (it's pretty hard) then do this:

1 - Powered. You have to be powered up good to do this trick. Off a wave not so much, but the more power the better it'll look.

2 - Speed. Goes with the power thing, but having a powered kite and board speed sometimes don't go hand in hand. You know how to go fast. Go fast first.

3 - Edge. Because it starts as a railey, you need to get a good edge. You should be doing raileys already if you want to learn this move, so I'm not going to go into detail.

4 - The first few times you try it, don't worry about your kite being too high. It'll save you the back slaps. Keep it at about 45-60 degrees, edge into a railey, and get the full pop. Think about keeping your body extended and straight. Straight arms, straight legs. Try to let your head go between your arms.

5 - Throw your weight forward. I think about it like I'm throwing my front shoulder down towards the water.

6 - Rotation. This is the trick. It's pretty much impossible to OVER rotate this trick BECAUSE you will only rotate as long as you stay extended (back to the straight arms, straight legs thing). Let yourself rotate. If you pull the bar back too soon, you'll stop your rotation, and from the sound of it, that's what you're doing. Pulling the bar in too soon, and you land on your back. Depending on the height and the speed of the rotation, you can judge when to pull the bar back to your hip.

7 - Pull the bar to your hip. I covered it in the previous step. It's always a good practice to pull it to your hip. Once you get it down, you don't have to, but pulling it towards your hip will get your prepared to move onto the next move, s-bend to blind. It's just pulling it to your hip then around your back.

8 - Spot your landing. You should have started doing this when you were judging when to stop your rotation. Focus on where you're going to land. Practice is the key for this one. It's obviously easier when the kite is higher, but then you might dangle a bit (not good).

9 - Practice. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable. Once you have them pretty dialed, start bringing the kite lower on takeoff. You'l have to rotate faster, but the style meter will go up. If you're really lit, you should be able to do it with the kite 5-10 feet off the water, and you'll be completely horizontal. That's when you know you've got it down.

Jason

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:03 pm

There you go! Nice to here tips from a pro!

Got any tips for grabing while unhooked?

Smokey

Stone
Medium Poster

Postby Stone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Luckily for you it's pouring rain here so I have nothing better to do except sit infront of the computer. (Better than the TV I figure, since it's "interactive.")

Grabbing Unhooked:

1 - Speed, Edge. I won't go into detail, just read up on it the post above this one.

2 - Hand placement. It's important. What grab are you doing? What hand will stay on the bar, and which one is coming off? Lets use a basic indy glide as an example. You're gonna let go with your back hand. So, I'd start with my hands dead center (harder for chickenloops), and then adjust a bit to compensate for the time when I'm going to be one-handed, so I'd get my right hand more in the center, left hand a little further out. For a chicken loop, I believe you can put your index finger on the opposite side of the rope as a translation for that. Remember that your hands aren't exactly centered when you edge and pop, so that the kite doesn't pull up (remember we're talking about an indy glide, so your back hand is coming off. Different grabs, different setup).

3 - Takeoff. However you're planning on doing it, the takeoff is pretty key. After you set your edge, tension your lines, and pop you want to keep the bar VERY close to you. I'd say to your hip, but the way that you takeoff on this move, it ain't gonna happen. Too much pull. Just really focus on keeping that bar as close as possible to your center of mass. I'd suggest leaving both hands on at first. Once you've popped and kept the bar close you should be moving with the kite, relatively, so there should be less pull on the bar. Don't worry about extension yet, it'll happen on it's own. There is a certain time when you'll have less bar tension. That's when you let go with one hand and go for the grab, whichever grab you're going for. Focus on getting that hand planted firmly on the board. Nothing is worse than a rail tap. Get a solid grab, it's good style points.

4 - The Grab. If this is the first few times you've done this trick, after getting the grab, I'd focus on getting your hand back and landing. If you're comfortable with it, hold on as long as you want.

5 - Extension (Optional). This is my favorite part. You get this right, you still look okay even if you miss the grab (it happens more than you think.) Once you have the grab, the kite will start accelerating downwind. It does even if you don't get the grab. As it pulls away, it's going to drag you out behind it. Better extensions come from stronger pop off the water, speed, and angle of the kite. Obviously if your kite is at 90 degrees you'll be extended, but you'll just be hanging. As you extend, you'll reach a point where you're as far as your arms are going to go. I like to look away from the kite (if it's an indy glide) because it makes you feel more exteneded. I think of it like a rubber band. The faster you get extended (it happens to you, you don't really do it) the faster you'll snap back. After a few trys you'll get the hang of it. As you start the rebound, get your eyes back on the water and spot your landing. It's better to come in tail heavy on this trick, so you don't break your legs when you land flat.

6 - Landing. It's going to be hard if the kite is low. No way around it. That's one reason I ride boards with more rocker, it's less of an impact on wake moves. Get the board under you. You want to land bearing off the wind a bit with speed. If you land with no speed, you're gonna land flat, smack, and sink after. Pretty painful. Though it sounds like a contradiction, landing with more speed = softer smoother landing.

7 - Practice. Yup, nothing new here. But more practice = better style and easier landings. Good luck!

Sidenote - This trick is much easier to get horizontal off a kicker (wave or manmade). So don't get frustrated if you can't get it completely horizontal on flat water.

Lirik
Rare Poster

Postby Lirik » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:43 am

Thanks, Jason!
They’re the best explanations I’ve ever read. Very much understandable. I appreciate for pointing the details I always pay attention to. Small things are so important!
But can you compare doing this move in bindings and in regular straps. Does it differ?
Is it harder to throw it in bindings?

XXX
Rare Poster

Postby XXX » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:23 pm

Why dont you just do a down loop S-bend, that will give you the height and will certainly stretch you out, not that hard just need balls.

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:10 pm

Oftentimes I seem to accidentally pull the trigger when I start rotating... when this happens it turns into a flailing forward with a dangly kiteloop...pretty ugly I'll admit. Any tips on keeping the kite in place while doing these moves...my kite always moves around a lot - no matter what my intention is.

Thanks. :thumb: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”