Forum for kitesurfers
Arizona
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Beaches in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico

Postby Arizona » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Appreciate any info on Kite-friendly beaches in Rocky Point, Sea of Cortez (4 hours south of Phoenix, Arizona). Any kiteshops in or near Puerto Penasco?

Anybody kite there recently?

Thanks,

Ted Rhoads
Cave Creek, Arizona
ted@techted.com

pacifichigh
Medium Poster

Postby pacifichigh » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 am

I've never kited in Rocky Point, but we spent a week in San Carlos, Sonara last winter. The kiting was pretty good at the beaches on both ends of the old club med. I know that people kite the estuary in rocky point and ???. Good luck.

Mgraham
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen
Puerto Penasco
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach Turks and Caicos
7 mile grand caymans
Gili islands Indonesia
Isla blanca playa del Carmen mx
Mission beach San Diego
Echo beach Bali
Puerto Penasco mx
Style: New at kiting
Gear: None yet. Want to purchase gear soon.

Re: Kite Beaches in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico

Postby Mgraham » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Ted,

I live in Scottsdale most the year and go to puerto Penasco pretty often. I’m in playa del Carmen now learning to kite. Do you kite In puerto Penasco regularly? How is it?

Thx!

Michael

curt0116
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rocky Point MX
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana Mx
Style: Beginner
Gear: Liquid Force Kites and board

Postby curt0116 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:11 am

Ted,
I am a beginner kiteboarder and have just spent a couple days in Rocky Point. Had good wind the last two days but only got to kite one day, using my 12 M Liquid Force had plenty of wind. I went out at Las Conchas beach but today found a place on the estuary south of here that looks great for beginners. It is shown on the attached map towards the south called La Pinta Kite Camp. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 1692041019

I am looking for someone else who kites to join me. If you would like to discuss email me at curt0116@gmail.com.

Curt

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 am

The area looks fantastic!

How often is the wind? How strong? Main wind season?

Do you have any picture to share! Would love to see how the flat water spots look like

curt0116
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rocky Point MX
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana Mx
Style: Beginner
Gear: Liquid Force Kites and board

Postby curt0116 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 am

I was down there in December and again last week, both times had good wind a few days of the week. If you look at the internet wind data April to Sept seems to be the highest winds with an afternoon thermal from the west/ south west.

Here are a couple pictures from the estuary near the point on this map marked as "La Pinta Stone House". https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 1692041019
It is a nice sandy stretch of beach on the estuary protected from open ocean but windy. The picture is at mid - tide and you can see where high time marks are. did not see any rocks in the area and there is a boat launch right in front of the house.
Version 2.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3494.jpg
Here is a picture from Los Conchas beach which is on the open ocean. The tide was high for the picture but on low tide there are a lot of rocks, still pretty good but for me being a beginner the flat water on the estuary is ideal.
IMG_3904.jpg

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I’ve been kiting Puerto Peñasco for 20 years as it’s my “local” beach, about a 3.5 hour drive from my home in Arizona, USA.

Most of the beaches on Peñasco are south or southwest facing, and they get great thermal (south) winds from about March through September. They include Sandy Beach, Playa Bonita, Playa del Oro, Playa Elegante, Las Conchas, Playa Encanto, Playa La Jolla, Estero Morua, Playa Dorado, Mayan Palace and the nice big estuary/bay called La Pinta. Really fun stuff. Sloppy wind swell with south winds that won’t please a person used to excellent glassy surf, but lots of fun for a wind and water loving desert dweller who is in love with wind and water and warmth. The south facing beaches occasionally work well in the winter, but generally with approaching storm fronts and may be accompanied by rain. Most often the sloppy swell is thigh to chest high, but it can get to overhead and even double overhead on big days when a small kite is needed (and this isn’t rare). During the winter, north winds are the usual from Las Vegas down through Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu all the way down the Sea of Cortez from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Cholla Bay (the part of Peñasco that we all love in the winter months) to Kino to San Carlos Sonora all the way down to La Ventana and Los Barriles. This is from high pressure systems in the northwestern USA following storm fronts. Cholla Bay is a real joy during the months of north wind, starting in September or early October and going until March and occasionally April.

Happy to help if any details needed. I usually ride at PlayaBonita in south winds and Cholla Bay in north winds.

Mucha aloha,

John

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 pm

curt0116 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 am
I was down there in December and again last week, both times had good wind a few days of the week. If you look at the internet wind data April to Sept seems to be the highest winds with an afternoon thermal from the west/ south west.

Here are a couple pictures from the estuary near the point on this map marked as "La Pinta Stone House". https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 1692041019
It is a nice sandy stretch of beach on the estuary protected from open ocean but windy. The picture is at mid - tide and you can see where high time marks are. did not see any rocks in the area and there is a boat launch right in front of the house.
Version 2.jpgIMG_3497.jpgIMG_3494.jpg

Here is a picture from Los Conchas beach which is on the open ocean. The tide was high for the picture but on low tide there are a lot of rocks, still pretty good but for me being a beginner the flat water on the estuary is ideal.
IMG_3904.jpg
Cool looking spot! I've got it on the map now!

Return to “Kitesurfing”