Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why np pro's on the Bows? Genuine question?

Forum for kitesurfers
the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby the_lone_wolf » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:13 pm

just do it wrote:Competitions are going the same way as windsurfing did by alienating the consumers with tricks that are pretty much anachievable for 95% of all kiters and tricks that only work properly with kites that Mr. Average finds harder to use.
isn't that the whole point of a pro tour? if they were only doing things that 95% of people can do then what would be the point? 99.9999999% of people will never drive an F1 car, and would find it very difficult, but is doesn;t stop people from racing them

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 pm

the_lone_wolf wrote:
just do it wrote:Competitions are going the same way as windsurfing did by alienating the consumers with tricks that are pretty much anachievable for 95% of all kiters and tricks that only work properly with kites that Mr. Average finds harder to use.
isn't that the whole point of a pro tour? if they were only doing things that 95% of people can do then what would be the point? 99.9999999% of people will never drive an F1 car, and would find it very difficult, but is doesn;t stop people from racing them
It sort of is and it sort of isn't. If the stuff that the pro's show isn't what inspires Mr. Average then it is bad for the industry which supports the Pros.
Outright Bow kites are currently pretty unsuited to win competitions but the normal guy on the beach gets on very well with them.
He would love them even more if his idol would use the same. Currently the Pros do a bit of riding on Bows for the photoshoots and then go straight back onto their C-shape.
F1 is an extreme cenario and at the pinnacle of development. Some things still filter through to the consumer though.
Kitesurfing comps. actually use a backward thinking design with the c-shape for the simple reason that is loops the best out of all kites.
So because of one feature(turning speed) all pros have to use this kite.
If it was about big air and massive jumps they'd definitely choose something else.
Of course competitions should feature the top level of modern kitesurfing but I believe it has been going into the wrong direction for the past 3 years.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:16 pm

waveslave wrote:Simple answer to your question:

Bow kites are a soft ride and C-kites are Core.
That's Core with a capital C.
I think this was the same when 4line kites first came out. people who rode with depower where chicken, hence the name chickenloop.
2line was rad and 4lines was for wimps.
Fact of today is that 4line is king and 2line is dead.

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:18 pm

You can't compare kiting with motor racing...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:36 pm

You can't compare kiting with motor racing...
Are you trying to tell me nobody in kiting gets paid $40m a year? :-?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:40 pm

you will see more and more bows..but depending on the conditions and disciplines.

I talked to some Naish teamriders, and they pretty much all use the Shockwave in the waves...

But I assume we will have more hybrids for freestyle in the future.

It will be interesting to follow the development, that's for sure!

RPatrick
Medium Poster

Postby RPatrick » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:09 pm

This is just a guess, but I think the pro riders do not get to choose what kite they will use. They must ride what they are given.

I could be wrong.

piedroporto
Very Frequent Poster

Postby piedroporto » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Give it a while. The current pros are all used to C kites and taking time to adjust

it´s not about time to adjust! it's about performance! C'shape kites are being developed for pro riding where as bows are being built for safety and relaxed riding.

pro riders will only change to Bows when they performe better in freestyle.

try a Torch2 , matrix06 or Yarga Pro or any C-shape competition-oriented-kite, and then any bow at all, then you'll now what i'm talking about !

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:57 pm

Isn't the current speed record for kites held by a bow and the Florida to Bahamas race was won by bows!

Hansel
Rare Poster

Postby Hansel » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:58 pm

First off - I don't think its a fair statement to include Cabrinha pros in this discussion because they are unique in the sense they don't have a choice what they ride. The big question would be - if Cab MADE a C kite (or a couple) - what would their pro riders choose to ride this season?

Re: speed records etc - thats says nothing about the versatility/performance of bows. Windsurfing boards that are good for speed runs were crap for freestyle. Skis and snowboards that are made for racing suck for freestyle and freeriding.

If I could have as many kites as I wanted I would include a small bow for waves sure - but thats pretty much all I would want it for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”