poncex
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Austin TX

Postby poncex » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:32 pm

I´m going to Austin on the 8th of august andI´ll be there for a week or so,
is there any kite spots, I´ve heard of lake travis, how good is this time or he year, what kites to bring or is not worth it.

I can drive a couple of hours so please feel free to advice about nearest places.

Saludos

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 pm

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:05 am

I live at lake travis and kite there when ever possible. In the summer you would be very lucky to come when there is any wind. It is usually hot and calm in the summer, but occasionally we will get 12-20 in the summer, usually though it is around 7-10...not enough to kite. As for spots, you will either need a boat or hook up with me if its blowing because the only real place to kite is at a private park and entrance to the park by car is impossible unless you know a property owner in the neighborhood, just so happens my kiting cohort is a property owner. But you can reach the beach by boat, it is across the lake from windy point and down a bit. When are you coming?

ImagineParadise
Medium Poster

Postby ImagineParadise » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 am

Wind in Austin? Your joking right? Winds top maybe 10 with gusts to 12-15 on a lucky day. Your better off driving to the coast.

CharlestonKiter
Frequent Poster

Postby CharlestonKiter » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:47 am

Moving there in Oct for 6 months, heard good things about lake Travis.

h2oslider
Medium Poster

Postby h2oslider » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:48 am

I saw windy point about a week ago and since the lake is so low there is a nice little peninsula jutting out into the lake making the SE winds they get there pretty much side shore. Coleman is right baout the winds out there during the summer and the wind gods must hate imagine paradise cause I've been out on Lake travis on some nukin days and had my ass handed to me on a 9m......literally.

poncex
Medium Poster

Postby poncex » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:20 pm

hey Coleman, I´ll be there the 8th of August, visiting a good friend of mine.
So I´ll have plenty of spare time, and you know how a kiter is so I´m looking forward to kite at least one day. I´ll be great to hook up with you, because my friend she has no idea of kiteboarding.
Thanks

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:36 pm

hey h20,
we ought to get together in the fall and go kiting on travis. windy pt is ok but travis landing is a full on sandy beach right now which forms two lagoons that the NE and SE winds shoot right through. when the wind is strong there is no better lake to kite on in central texas. what is your name, maybe we have met out at canyon???

Return to “Kitesurfing”