Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel Reviews??

Forum for kitesurfers
Nukin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nukin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:07 pm

I rode a 10m a few days ago and the kite has super power for it's size. Felt like a 12 and jumps super long. I did not drop it, but from what has been posted here, the relaunch is a little disturbing. I am considering a 14M for my biggest kite. A guy on the UK forum seems to feel the opposite of what has been posted here (hard to relaunch / kite tumbles thru it's line set).
kiterdan

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saw a couple in tarifa a couple weeks ago....looked awesome. definately the most stable looking one out of te collection of bow/hybrid kites out there and looked to be the easiest relaunch. why is it that everyone with a waroo seemed to struggle to reaunch? prob a lot of people new to the kite i suppose. sick looking graphics too

kd

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sake » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:17 pm

AKA_KALLE wrote:
Dwight wrote:
AKA_KALLE wrote:im pretty into getting a rebel aswell, im 70kg and on a 128x36 board. You guys haveing experience with the kite think that ill do with a 10 as only kite? I currently use a Fuel 13 and a EH 9 as kites and im very pleased with the range they give me, could a 10 rebel replace these or am i better of with a 12? Thanks!
12m.
Thank you for the answer, still I wonder, do the rebel have wider windrange than the vegas 06? According to norths homepage it seems tat they have the same or even the vegas 12 have wider windrange than the vegas.
Check again. Indication of the windrange of Rebel has changed.
http://www.northkites.com/zms/content/e ... n_ger.html

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 pm

Dwight wrote:
uncleneil wrote:I like my bows for the reaon that when I throw down and miss the bar, the kite is still in the air when my head pops up with nearly no pull. If it hits the water (my bows) it just sits there ready to relaunch when i'm ready and if the kite is straight down wind on it LE, I just pull on a line and off it goes.
The Rebel will do the same. Just connect the leash like you do your bow. To the chicken loop, not the 5th.
I will try that next time. Didn't know. Though now now my question is why both?

AKA_KALLE
Rare Poster

Postby AKA_KALLE » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm

Sake wrote:
Check again. Indication of the windrange of Rebel has changed.
http://www.northkites.com/zms/content/e ... n_ger.html
kewl! still, im impressed by vegas windrange!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 am

uncleneil wrote:
Dwight wrote:
uncleneil wrote:I like my bows for the reaon that when I throw down and miss the bar, the kite is still in the air when my head pops up with nearly no pull. If it hits the water (my bows) it just sits there ready to relaunch when i'm ready and if the kite is straight down wind on it LE, I just pull on a line and off it goes.
The Rebel will do the same. Just connect the leash like you do your bow. To the chicken loop, not the 5th.
I will try that next time. Didn't know. Though now now my question is why both?
Extra level of safety for those who want it. We still hear about bowmares, so some welcome the choice. The kite is built for every style.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:00 am

dakz wrote:I picked up my new quiver this morning: Rebel 14 and Rebel 9
There´s no wind today so I´m bummed but have been inspecting the kites and am most impressed with the North quality, as usual!

I do have a couple questions for you guys:
1. Do the kites come with a manual? I only found a manual for the 5th element bar and the iron heart but no manual for the kites.

2. How does the stopper work? I tried sliding the bar against it but the stopper slided upwards. Is this normal? Will it work with more tension on it?

3. This is my 4th season and have always had C kites. I tried a few bows and tried to jump but it felt awkward. How different is the jumping technique for the Rebel compared to normal Cs?
1) Use the foward of the rear pigtail connections. This is the preferred team setting.
2) Under load it locks.
3) No difference. Technique like a C or Bow works.

Wheels
Medium Poster

Postby Wheels » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:41 am

Dwight wrote:
I second that Dwight. In fact, using this leash method (leashing off to the chicken loop) is actually safer on the Rebel than it is on some of the bows. With the Rebel, you get "stay-in-the-air performance" like other bows, but delivered in a different package.

I recently spoke with Ken Winner (North's kite designer) and according to some of their recent load cell testing, "the Rebel has less pull when depowered than either a Waroo or a Switchblade."

Cheers,
Wheels

dakz
Medium Poster

Postby dakz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:40 am

I picked up a Rebel 9 and Rebel 14 as well as the new 2007 bar as my new quiver for this season. I tested both of them yesterday and I have mixed feelings about the kites and am not so sure that the kite’s performance is what I expected.

Conditions: Very gusty between 16 – 25kts, 2 m waves, extreme side current
Other riders where on Waroos 7 and 9, Vegas 12 and C 12
This is my 5th season, always had C kites, never had bows. I can do board offs, kiteloops and unhooked S-Bends, Vulcans…etc

Rebel 14: I picked up the Rebel 14; with factory settings both on the kite and on the bar. I connected the back lines to the “innerâ€

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 pm

dakz wrote:...So what am I doing wrong? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Is the Rebel 14 a SLOW kite?
Do Rebels require a different technique for jumping than C kites?
Why do only the first 10 cm on the bar have an effect on the kite’s power?
Why does the stopper on the bar slide up?
Welcome to the bow world ;-) I bet that on the next ride you will love them.
You have to be much, much less agressive on the bar. Let it fly.
Good luck!

bern dogg
Medium Poster

Postby bern dogg » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm

interesting :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”