Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LE Bladder Removal Problem

Postby mobettah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:42 am

The end of my LE bladder on my 16m Naish Boxer 3 just let go on the beach. I've watched the video on the Naish site on bladder repair and they suggest tying a line to end of the bladder to pull it back through once you've repaired it. It appears the end of the bladder is about 10" up from the end of the leading edge. Any suggestions how to snag the bladder to put the pull line on?

Also does it make sense to take out both sides of the LE bladder when I know the problem is on one side?

Thanks
Last edited by mobettah on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:03 am

get a set of tongs or something that'll fit in the access hole to grab the bladder. fish it up in there and get ahold of that rascal and gently pull 'er out.

10" doesn't seem so far that you couldn't use your fingers. stick your thumb and index finger in there and push the LE down onto you fingers like you're putting a condom on... :o

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB

Postby mobettah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:20 am

tweekster wrote:get a set of tongs or something that'll fit in the access hole to grab the bladder. fish it up in there and get ahold of that rascal and gently pull 'er out.

10" doesn't seem so far that you couldn't use your fingers. stick your thumb and index finger in there and push the LE down onto you fingers like you're putting a condom on... :o
Thanks that helped. I've got the bladder end out.

mobettah
Frequent Poster

Re: LE Bladder Removal Problem

Postby mobettah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:41 am

mobettah wrote:The end of my LE bladder on my 16m Naish Boxer 3 just let go on the beach. I've watched the video on the Naish site on bladder repair and they suggest tying a line to end of the bladder to pull it back through once you've repaired it. It appears the end of the bladder is about 10" up from the end of the leading edge. Any suggestions how to snag the bladder to put the pull line on?

Also does it make sense to take out both sides of the LE bladder when I know the problem is on one side?

Thanks
Now that I have the end of the bladder out I can see that the hole is right on the seam of the end of the bladder. I can pull 3-4" of bladder out the end of the leading edge at the end. What are folks thoughts on just doing the bladder repair with the bladder out the end? Here are some pictures...
Attachments
bladderhole1.jpg
Note the red circle. That's where the hole is.
bladderhole1.jpg (245.75 KiB) Viewed 753 times

mobettah
Frequent Poster

Postby mobettah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:42 am

Also could this damage be caused by pumping the leading edge up too much?

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:30 am

doing the repair right there should be no problem. seeing as the bladder was 10" up into the sleeve that hole was more than likely caused by the bladder not being secured properly when it was last installed. make sure that it is seated correctly and also that the bladder is folded over with (inside) the extra bit of LE that gets tucked in to close off the LE end.

mobettah
Frequent Poster

Postby mobettah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:06 am

tweekster wrote:doing the repair right there should be no problem. seeing as the bladder was 10" up into the sleeve that hole was more than likely caused by the bladder not being secured properly when it was last installed. make sure that it is seated correctly and also that the bladder is folded over with (inside) the extra bit of LE that gets tucked in to close off the LE end.
Thanks.
I've patched it and will see how it goes tomorrow afternoon when I pump the kite up....

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:05 am

I see this kind of bladder repair all the time. It is caused by the bladder falling away from the end of the kite and leaving a void. Next time the bladder is inflated there is nothing to encase it there ..so it pops.

A piece of Tear Aid self adhesive tape should fix this quickly. Or just reseam the bladder an inch shorter .. all bladders are a bit longer than than they need to be.

Be sure to have the bladder folded in the kite fabric tube when you reinstal it so it does not slip away from the end again.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Darktanyan
Frequent Poster

Postby Darktanyan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:46 am

Use an iron to seal the end of the bladder. Takes just a few seconds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”