Forum for kitesurfers
kiteguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new rider needs help

Postby kiteguy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:01 am

here's the deal. i can't wait to kiteboard ever since my wife bought me a trainer kite last year. i've been researching like crazy and i think i'm getting somewhere.can't afford a lesson yet but i'm not yes NOT going to teach myself.i've done extreme sports all my life and excel quickly so i need a set up that i can learn on but believe me it won't be long til i'm needing much more advanced stuff.i'm kind of broke, livin in canada. i'm 210 lbs and will be riding in 8- 15 knts. i think a gk sonic 14 is the way to go but of coarse what do i know. i haven't even had my first lesson.i would like to learn on my own gear so i can be shown the safty ropes on it.thanks for the info on boards you guys gave me. you saved me from making the wrong decision.please help me find the right gear.what board? what kite?what harness?etc. i really can,t wait to kiteboard and would like to be fully riding by january because i'll be in mexico for 2 months at a sweet spot for kiting. thanx folks this is a great site,looking forward to your help.

xmech
Medium Poster

Postby xmech » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:16 am

Real has a $400 there sonics and hudge deals on other stuff.

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.c ... uctID=7693

if u want 2 spend 500-700 on a kite look at all reals deals
http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.c ... em&id=1075

make sure u get a lesson

AustinT
Medium Poster

Postby AustinT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:24 am

If you cant afford to take a huge lesson, then at least go to a local shop and take a 1-2 hour lesson to show you how to set up a kite, launch it, land it, and make safe decisions. This will make it so you wont trash your gear so badly that you have to buy new stuff (saves money in a way). 100-150 dollars is probably fair. Watch some dvds too.

Bow kites (like the GK Sonic) are great for begginers, but a 14m seems a little small for you. Go for a 16m so you can get the low end you want.

Kiteboarding is not like other sports where you can learn to do it after a few attempts. I have been doing extreme sports my whole life also and found kiteboarding to be a huge challenge. It takes commitment, especially after huge wipeouts. It is the most dangerous sport that I can think of because you can hurt not only yourself, but innocent viewers too. Just take the short lesson so you have a good idea.

Harnesses are personal preferences. Find a kite shop and try on the harnesses to get the right fit.

So board skills will be easier for you, but the kite is 80% of kiteboarding. If you dont take a lesson, then you will end up trashing your own gear and having to buy new stuff. Save yourself from this. Also, look through the forum for kitemares (use searh for it) and see a few things that you should avoid. And lastly, talk to the locals in your area and listen to them. 98% of them just want to help you. Good luck and be carefull.

So basically, you should:

-watch kiteboard instructional dvds.
-take a short lesson so you can trash someone elses gear and save money.
-buy gear after lesson
-have fun and stay focused.

Later,

Austin

AustinT
Medium Poster

Postby AustinT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:34 am

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.c ... uctID=7700

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.c ... uctID=8129

The first is a good deal on a 15m kite. The second is a bow kite for only $200 more. Both are completeThe first would be a great sized c kite if you cant afford a bow. It comes with a 5th line bar, so that adds safety and relaunchability. The bow would have and even larger windrange and also would help with ease of learning. Both would probably fill the windrange that you want. I dont know much about RRD or Liquid force, so someone else can help with that. Good luck,

Austin

P.S. No 20m for first kite. I was not thinking before.
Last edited by AustinT on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:32 am

Don't try to sell him a 20m C-kite for a first kite! He'll hate the sport before he gets anywhere with it. No bigger than a 16m and a bigger board. The 20m will probably be your second kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”