Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Forum for kitesurfers
schmoe
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby schmoe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:08 pm

seastack1 wrote:bury the base in sand, tilt slightly away, knees hold in place, pump with straight back
Nice tip. My back thanks you. I never saw anyone do that, but it sounds good.

GreenPat
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby GreenPat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 am

How about find a position with your back nice and straight then pump with your arms, I'm pretty sure that's what I do. Watch me stand up in my office and mime pumping a kite to check... :pump: :crazy2:

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

pump with your knees

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:42 pm

every time i find myself hating the process of pumping up the LE of my old Lift Pro 18 meter, i think of how good it is that i am forced to warm up my knees. Try to do all your pumping by bending the knees and dropping your weight straight down on the pump. That way the low back doesnt get strained and you lube up the knee joints and warm up the quadriceps.

I agree with the posts on the intake valve screen, the periodic cleanup and lube (although i STILL havent decided what is the least messy, longest lasting lubricant that should be used...vaseline breaks down, WD40 just makes the whole shaft end up with a slimy black coating that comes off on the fingers and then gets transfeerred to kite and board and doesnt come off very easy)

also highly recommend the zip tie to keep the flex hose on the hard plastic "connector"..glue for this doesnt last long but a little zip tie lasts forever..also periodically just hack off the part of the flex hose that gets bent alot (where you get small leaks) and re-zip tie it

so, whats the vote? is a simple spray silicone the best thing to RE-lube your pump?

PUMP with your knees, not your back

AeolianKitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia
Style: Lazy Riding
Gear: Cabrinha, Aeolian Board, Mystic Harness, Triple Action Pump
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Kitesurfing

Re:

Postby AeolianKitesurfing » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Beachbum1236 wrote:
Cabrinha is going to have a new pump next year. It’s a one way pump, only pushes air on the downstroke. Sounds like a good idea for saving the back.

All I want is a real pump- the current ones are lame plain and simple- screw WalMart and the pumps they are selling. You would think some one would see a real chance to market a LEADING pump instead of all the followers on the market now. Ones with lifetime warrantees that are solutions to the problem not band-aids for issues like leaking hoses, broken handles, weak threads that the entire pump comes apart.....- I am a consumer that personally thinks if they sell a real pump made like the space shuttle then this would be a huge step forward and they could sell a high quality one to those of us that have better things to do like get out and kite - not do preventative maintence on a 7 dollare pump getting all greasy and full of duct tape in the process......This is a opportunity for someone in the industry to step up- I know guys would buy these.....

If they made Pumps Like the space shuttle, they would costa around what, 200$ per inch of hose? heh. and it's not like all the leading distrubutors, are going to put 800$ into R&D for just a pump,
Look at it this way, You could either have the pumps we have now, OR we could have those stupid little hand pumps they have millions of years ago.
but, I wouldn't not like to complain that they should make the pumps a little taller for peeps of 6'2" :D (now that would save my back). a few inches could do a lot...
:thumb: :bye:[/quote!

I am stepping up!

Here's my 22 Inch Tall - Triple Action Pump
http://youtu.be/EUrRaLlHOj0
www.tripleactionpump.com

Pump Smarter, Not Harder

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Re: Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Postby knot_moving » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 pm

$10 for high temperature seals and $10 for a cleanable high efficiency air filter, $15 for ither parts manufactured is relatively small lots (say 200 units). Add $15 a pump for the assembly and packing space & to pay for an assembler. That makes $50 at cost before paying for any marketing or distribution. Put $20 a pump profit and sell 1000 a year and someone might make $20k a year on it, but the pump will be over $100 to the end user. For that they will get a taller, thinner pump so easier on back and capable of higher pressures with less effort -- and it will last a few years. Plastic will still eventually break down under the loads generated. Not sure enough people would br that excited to make it wort it

AeolianKitesurfing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia
Style: Lazy Riding
Gear: Cabrinha, Aeolian Board, Mystic Harness, Triple Action Pump
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Kitesurfing

Postby AeolianKitesurfing » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:46 am

knot_moving wrote:$10 for high temperature seals and $10 for a cleanable high efficiency air filter, $15 for ither parts manufactured is relatively small lots (say 200 units). Add $15 a pump for the assembly and packing space & to pay for an assembler. That makes $50 at cost before paying for any marketing or distribution. Put $20 a pump profit and sell 1000 a year and someone might make $20k a year on it, but the pump will be over $100 to the end user. For that they will get a taller, thinner pump so easier on back and capable of higher pressures with less effort -- and it will last a few years. Plastic will still eventually break down under the loads generated. Not sure enough people would br that excited to make it wort it
$99 for the plastic version and there is talk of a metal PRO model.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:23 am

How about getting an inflatable SUP pump?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38042165?wmls ... 92&veh=sem

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:27 am

Ooohh! Does that SUP pump actually work?

Return to “Kitesurfing”