Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board Size. Is it too big for me already?

Forum for kitesurfers
wnfaknd
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, Belmont Shore, CA
Gear: 16m '05 Cabrinha Xbow, '05 139 Slingshot SX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board Size. Is it too big for me already?

Postby wnfaknd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Yesterday was my fourth day in the water. Initially I bought a Slingshot SX 139. I'm 6'0" and my weight is 175lb. I also have an Xbow 16m.
Now that I'm getting more confortable and going upwind and what not, I feel that I can not edge enough. It seems like either the board is too big and floats me up, or the kite is too large and pulls me out of the water too much, or both. The winds here are rarely ever over 15mph, so I dont think is the kite. Anyway, I just get that feeling that perhaps I could be doing better if the board was smaller.

Would you think that after just four days I've already outgrown that board?

What size would you recommend?

Another thing, how snug should the footstraps be? Should they be rather loose so the foot wiggles around a bunch or tight so there is little foot movement?

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:00 pm

try edging harder.. more weight on back foot and point even more upwind. keep the kite not higher than 30-45 degrees. ride a bit slower :thumb:

if this does not help, get a smaller kite. i think the board should be ok. i am the same weight and height and 135-140 board works fine for me at almost any winds.

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster

Postby HelldogBE » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:17 pm

ride with the kite lower so u can dig your back foot in more...

maybe u are trying to ride too comfortable :lol: keep it lower (but not too low or its pointless that u edge upwind)

wnfaknd
Medium Poster

Postby wnfaknd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:26 pm

I cant edge upwind if the kite is too low?

kiterfreak
Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfreak » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Body position is very important.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Not the board, your kite is to big.... a 16 bow is equal a 19 m C kite and with 15 miles you must be pretty powered up....big kites pull like hell no matter if they are C or flat

I have a 136 x 43 board and ride with my Instinct 11 on 12 miles very nice and can do some jumps.... ( 160 lbs weight )

You should try a 13/14 bow... they are much nicer...

Saludos

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:57 pm

WOW! That's the first time I heard Panchito give bad advice. Your 16m does have the low end of a 19m but also the high end of a 12-13m. 15 mph for a 16m bow is perfect. You can ride that kite just fine till @20. Your board is fine too but your technique or posture may be off a little. It's only your 4th time in the water so you have just started. Give it more time. I'm your weight and height and ride a 138cm board. PERFECT!!! Keeping the kite low in powewred conditions should help you go upwind but with a bow there is really no need to. Sounds like more back foot pressure is needed.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Problems with Cabrinha Crossbow 16

Postby Clew In » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:16 pm

Hey,

How is your Cabrina Crossbow holding up? I purchased a 2006 Crossbow 16 two months ago and I have a small tear developing on the seam of the middle strut. Also, my impact vest harness has torn near the zipper and the valve inside my pump keeps falling out and causing my pump not to work. I was just curious if you or anyone else is having quality problems with Cabrinha products?

Thanks

wnfaknd
Medium Poster

Postby wnfaknd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 pm

I dont have their impact harness so I cant comment on that.

The kite has been holding up just fine. No signs of tears or damage (cross my fingers).

The pump hasnt had any issues yet either. I hear from other threads that you can buy the same pump at walmart for $7.

wnfaknd
Medium Poster

Postby wnfaknd » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:57 am

You guys were right, I wasnt putting enough pressure on the back foot.
Today I made a point of putting more pressure on the heels of my feet and I was leaning back like mad. My ass was almost touching the water.

What a difference that made!!!! I no longer have to walk up the beach. I'm very confortable going upwind now.

Transitions from going upwind to downwind are fairly simple. I'm almost there. However, I'm having problems with going downwind and changing to upwind. I seem to always go under water when I do the turn. I then have to bring the kite up and dive it in so it picks me up again. Any tips?

Return to “Kitesurfing”