Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:19 pm

High jumps : Bow and C Equal height.

Highest jumps : Bow.

Hangtime : Bow, no doubt at all.

I have been riding a lot with both types for more than a year now.

The height when everything is perfect, is just as high with a C, as with a bow.
But you can jump high much more consistently with a bow.

And the reason why I has the bow as a winner in highest jumps, is simple:
In real life, the highest jumps we make are done in gusty and unstable winds.
These winds are so much better and easier to ride with a bow - control :thumb:

And these are the conditions where you get the "sickest" high jumps 8)

If the air was stable, I would say they are pretty even, if you have good technique. But jumps not as high as when out in more "rough" conditions, and often only managable with a bow.

I jump A LOT !
Love big air and hangtime (flying - have flown planes and gliders and hanggliders and everything that can "soar" are the best)

So I am not in doubt when comparing - I have video and pics so I know for sure....

Because of above statements, and because I love waveriding and powermoves, I am using the Nova2 7, 9, and 12m2 now (third generation bow kites) :greenlaugh:

But 1'st and 2'nd generation bow has the same jumping capabilities, compared to a C.

Kindly, Peter Frank

PS: "Land" hangtime jumps are ridiculous to talk about and compare with "water" - I think we all can agree on that :-?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:41 pm

PS: "Land" hangtime jumps are ridiculous to talk about and compare with "water" - I think we all can agree on that
Peter,

So you like to jump, but you think it is ridiculous to talk about and compare land and water. Why???

I too love to jump and I like to boost big. I love boosting big on the water, but I have to tell you I really like the incredibly long jumps on the snow. Like I said before, I am surprised by the dismissive attitude of some water-only kiteboarders. A good comparison is for a kiter that only has kited on flat water to dismiss waves, "Oh, you can't count big jumps off of waves, the ramp of the wave is helping you get additional boost."

uncleneil
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby uncleneil » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Bows will deffinately give you higher and floatier airs due to it's projected area, flat area and depower/power available. I did not witness but saw a vid of Best Team rider Noel Jambor boosting 50-70 ft. on a 9m Waroo in Ft. Pierce, Fl. in @40 mph. winds last winter. I think @ 15-20 peolple witnessed it including GK and Sir Slingshot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 pm

fernmanus wrote:
PS: "Land" hangtime jumps are ridiculous to talk about and compare with "water" - I think we all can agree on that
Peter,

So you like to jump, but you think it is ridiculous to talk about and compare land and water. Why???

I too love to jump and I like to boost big. I love boosting big on the water, but I have to tell you I really like the incredibly long jumps on the snow. Like I said before, I am surprised by the dismissive attitude of some water-only kiteboarders. A good comparison is for a kiter that only has kited on flat water to dismiss waves, "Oh, you can't count big jumps off of waves, the ramp of the wave is helping you get additional boost."
Because we've seen so many posts regarding long hangtimes on land !

And many of these has been with slope upwinds, or even "ridge soaring".

You could take a good Flysurfer kite, jump out in onshore ridge wind - and have a hangtime that will last as long as you manage to stop falling asleep...

I've flown 5 hours straight, high above a ridge, in my hangglider, and the same could be done with some kites, if one wanted to....

It is these comparisons that are ridiculous IMO.

And everything else on land, are often due to slope or tree effects, or even thermals.

I am kiting a lot on snow - and love the big air and hangtime, because of your increased apparent wind (less drag = more speed).

But would never compare to water - it is like apples and oranges to me 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:36 pm

uncleneil wrote: I did not witness but saw a vid of Best Team rider Noel Jambor boosting 50-70 ft. on a 9m Waroo in Ft. Pierce, Fl. in @40 mph. winds last winter. .
Where would one find the vid... any links? :D

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Peter,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I agree that there is a point where jumping ends and gliding begins. Clearly, I have an agenda. I think all water kiters should at least try the snow. My experience has been that some water kiters dismiss the snow the same way some wakeboarders and surfers dismiss kiteboarding. The big air, gliding aspect of snow kiting is amazing. Maybe the correlation with jumping on the water may not be direct. Jumping behind a boat on a wakeboard does not correlate directly with jumps on a kiteboard. However, big air is big air.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Is snow kiting more dangerous?

Oh... and I want to give it a try...

but never really snowboarded... :-?

and well snow is never an option! :(

I'll have to make a trip to Norway I suppose!! :thumb:

fernmanus wrote:Peter,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I agree that there is a point where jumping ends and gliding begins. Clearly, I have an agenda. I think all water kiters should at least try the snow. My experience has been that some water kiters dismiss the snow the same way some wakeboarders and surfers dismiss kiteboarding. The big air, gliding aspect of snow kiting is amazing. Maybe the correlation with jumping on the water may not be direct. Jumping behind a boat on a wakeboard does not correlate directly with jumps on a kiteboard. However, big air is big air.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 pm

Is snow kiting more dangerous?
Good Question - it depends on the snow surface and how high you go as well as the wind quality where you are kiting. Some people have made the blanket statement that snowkiting is more dangerous. I don't agree. I think it is as safe as kiting on the water. The dangers snowkiting are similar to the water (obstacles, poor wind quality, squalls). Squalls are more difficult to see coming on the snow. However, they are far less frequent.

Norway looks like a snowkiters dream. If you don't know how to snowboard, skis are easier for learning and work great. Around here we teach people on the snow and then move them to the water. Snowkiting is easier to learn because you don't have the water start.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:36 pm

I guess the best part is no need to pump your kite up if you use a foil! :clap:

I just wondered about the safety thing as hard objects are what takes out water borne kiters!

During my one brief foray during a snowboarding lesson, quickly found out you have no brakes on icey snow!! :o

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:07 am

The Right Stuff wrote:
mobettah wrote: Me, I'm a beginner looking to do that first boost before the summer is out! :lol:
So do it!

The first one doesn't have to be pretty. Go left, keep going in a straight line, pull with your right hand. Do a couple pulls slowly, if you wish, then pull hard and leave the Earth. It's unavoidable, really, and feels great. Once you're up there, pull down on the left hand. Smile, and repeat in the other direction.
lol! I can't wait. Maybe this weekend if there is wind. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”