Forum for kitesurfers
MrGusty
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in big surf

Postby MrGusty » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:47 am

Hi there, Mr Gusty here wanting to open a discussion on things to watch when kiting in solid or big surf.

As you all know with kiting things can go so wrong so fast if your not wary of some important things to look out for.

Here are some things from my own experiences in the last few months, feel free to add some so we can all learn from each others experiences!

- Unhook when dropping in on a bomb. U need to release quickly if you get wasted.
- Unclip your safety quickly (or dont use one if you have lots of kites) if your kite goes down. Trust me you dont want to be dragged 50 metres underwater if your kite gets hit by a big wave (doesnt have to even be big sometimes). This happened to me and I thought that was it - The kite dragged me backwards (had the safety on a rope on back of harness) through the water so fast that I couldnt even move my arms to unclip - I had to wait until the wave was finished, and this was only in about 3ft of surf.
- Be wary when using big kites in surf - they get ripped up much easier as their strength to size ratio decreases.
- Think about wearing a helmet, especially if kiting solo. When you come off your board your kite may pull you very fast in the direction of a fin.... SMACK!! lights out....
- When you come unstuck make sure you put your kite above you or in the direction of the oncoming surf (if small). If you have your lines the same direction as the the wave coming you may get washed into your lines and tangled up. If its BIG surf I reckon just chuck your kite and dive!
- Be wary if you try to drag behind your kite when its in the water - the mass of water may tear your kite in two. Unless its real windy and u can relaunch easy best off letting it go and swim in.

Anyway thats enough for now.
If someone has any info on using a legrope on your surfboard in the surf let me know - Im scared the thing is going to bungee into the back of my head when I fall off!

Peace -

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:09 am

Re Board leash,

Ive always used one , the waves are heavy and there are usually heaps of rocks on the inside so if you lose the board its gone and you probably arent going to be able to drag and get it in most of the places I ride.

I make my leash out of tubuler webbing about 1.5mtrs long and put 3mm shockcord inside, keep it short and clip it to a shackle that runs on a line from one side of the spreader bar round the back to other side, because I jibe/switch feet on the surfboard .

With a leash as descibed clipped to your spreader bar Ive never been clouted, but wear a helmet for extra saftey.
You can use 6mm climbing rope for a leash it has just enough give, to not rip out the leash plug. Never use spectra cause it will tear out leash plug.

If the leash goes to your ankle and is to long, as your legs fly around when you get rag dolled, the board is going to take you out big time.

Ive used the leash descibed about 4 years now , and when you get caught on the inside in big ugly closeouts with rocks between you and the shore, you can keep both hands on the kite bar and drag out/dive under, then grab the leash, jamb the board on and bail before the next set lands on your head.

I consider the leash a safty feature where I ride, its nice to know your going to have the surfboard to get back in with if every thing gets ugly, there are alot of rips around the points and outside reefs I ride and Im often out there alone or with a couple of others so you need to be able to self rescue , and having both hands free without losing the board has proven its value on a few occasions.

Cheers Kevin

MrGusty
Rare Poster

Kiting in Big Surf

Postby MrGusty » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:47 am

Hey Kevin - thanks for the insight on that. Never thought of attatching it too anything other than my leg! (well a mate of mine once attached it to his arm... but he really wasnt the sharpest tool!)
Im still a little lost though with this setup - perhaps if you could take a photo of your setup?.. can you post photos on this chat thing?
Anyway id like to try it as Im sick of dragging in after my board and im keen to try some rocky point breaks.
Does your home made rope differ much from the surf ones you can buy as far as dangerously bouncing back? Im not too familar with the materials you listed. About the only thing I make around the home is burnt toast...

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:31 am

Hows it Mr Gusty

The leash is like a kite leash (infact you could use a kite leash) the trick is to keep it short so it doesnt drag in the water,... and keeps the board close to you ( about 1.5mtrs extended).

A regular surfboard leg rope is very stretchy and long, with a lot of recoil,...where as the webbing leash with light shockcord inside has minimal recoil in comparison.

With the board close it never gets up enough momentum to club you hard,...and with the clip to the harness your legs are free and the kite pulls the harness and board leash at the same rate,... vs your legs flying around and yanking a stretchy surfboard leg rope.

6mm climbing rope is the same as normal yatch braid which is different from spectra.

The disadvantage of rope is it will drag in the water and will cut in to you and the board more than webbing if you get any wraps.
Attachments
Leash.jpg
Leash.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
Last edited by Kevin Salter on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:33 am

doesn't this kill?

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:43 am

Hey Toby , ...... only if you exceed the recommended dose......

I know board leashs are a contraversal subject, but if the leash is setup properly no problems.

In waves if you loose the board in a top turn without a leash it could come down ontop of you any way, especially if your looking at it to see which way its going.

If you have a leash setup properly and wipe out big time you can use the kite to pull you through the wave, out to sea, with both hands on the bar and the board will just tow behind you.

Cheers Kevin :thumb:
Last edited by Kevin Salter on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larpy
Frequent Poster

Postby Larpy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 am

Let’s face it. Big surf is risky stuff; it's about minimizing the risk in my opinion. So while I normally don't use a leash I can see why you would want one in big surf where the inside is all rocky or super dangerous for what every reason. I got a small taste of some big stuff this summer and I have to say I’m pretty hooked and can’t wait to do it again.

The thing is if you are super careful and lucky and don’t lose your board you don’t need a leash but if you lose your board and it washes up on the rocks with cliffs or whatever then you can be in serious danger. I think what Kevin is saying is that with a non elastic leash it can be safer than no leash, both have risk, of course.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:29 am

Hi,

When it is big, i simply take no risks. If in doubt, don't do it. In those conditions, i only ride with angle enough to literally fly body dragging to the beach. It is the situation where i always use a floating vest.

OT: Kevin, those straps look very nice. What are they?

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:45 am

I make those straps myself,... get some 10mm eva foam, some webbing and some contact glue. The good thing about these straps is you can twist your front foot easily,... and you can walk on them,... or paddle,... also good for feet switch. :thumb:

Often when its big here its cross offshore and light on the inside,.. windy out the back,...if you loose the board it usually goes out with the rips,... same way a kiter goes if kite and board is lost, so having a board to paddle back in on could save your life.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:17 am

great thread.... presonally, I used to use a similar leash to Kevin, but now prefer not to, as I dont like getting tangled when gybing.

Also, when the surf is big, a rare occurence in the UK and mostly I only get to ride in decent waves overseas, I just tend to allow a greater safety margin, ie getting off waves well before they close out

Return to “Kitesurfing”