Boxer SLE Vs Waroo 07

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:10 am

Dax,
great you tried both. Good feedback, but a few comments I do have...as usual. I think the sliding turns is something you can modify on the boxer by changing settings on the pigtails. Also, if you do crank it hard for the transition, I have not noticed any significant sliding, in fact it flips around really nicely for super powered turns. Of course you need to hold the bar with power, other wise it will behave more like a SLE. I think the bar is the bomb, you really have to test the kite in different conditions (wind and water) to really understand why being able to choose between 1:1 and 2:1 is so good. That is topped off with a grip that conforms to your hands...If you threw the kite far over, I don;t think you have gotten the jumping potential out of the kite, but the fact that you can throw it like a c kite and not fall out of the sky like some other SLE's I have tried only makes me more positive to the boxer.

You also commented on the seams, now I am no seamstress (male version), but while comparing the 06 waroo to the Boxer, I thought the boxer seemed way tougher built. I will not comment on the 07 except that it seems that either there has been issues with the 06 waroo that they have corrected or they have listened to people on the forum complaining about it...
;-)

Still the stoke is the best part of kiting.
a.

Dax
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dax » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:29 am

Alex - you need to check out the 07 Waroo seam, its really a great thing. The 06 seam problems are not just a Waroo thing, check out the threads going on about the seams on Cab's. You can also call Airtime repair shop in Hood River and get there take on it. Its specifically that type of seam and flat kites that is the problem, no particular brand is to blame.

Though I should say that there is nothing proving the 07 Waroo seam will be better (yet), it just looks and feels much better and cleaner. Adding the webbing was an extra step in the construction process for them to go through to improve the durability, so I don't think they would have done it if it doesn't matter. Webbing can be some damn strong stuff...

Sliding through the turns - I keep my hands in the center on any bar, so I don't think I was oversteering the kite. There is something to be said about putting all your weight on the bar even and still getting power. Makes for neat one handed downloop type manuvers and what not.... That's how C kites work and its the same with the 07 Waroo w/ direct rear bridle.

I think you might be right about playing with pigtail settings though, I didn't do that.

Next time I am in Oahu you should coach me on my jumps, but I think I was doing alright on the Boxer. ;) They were very high jumps and hung very long. I have seen the local team guys and they send the kite far too, they usually just kiteloop it back in front of them to account for it. Like I said there is nothing wrong with the jumping on the Boxer, it jumps great.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:48 am

Dax wrote: Next time I am in Oahu you should coach me on my jumps, but I think I was doing alright on the Boxer. ;) They were very high jumps and hung very long. I have seen the local team guys and they send the kite far too, they usually just kiteloop it back in front of them to account for it. Like I said there is nothing wrong with the jumping on the Boxer, it jumps great.

Hey dax, I don't think I could coach you in anything, and it does seem that you did well on the jumps, what I meant was more that you can jump the boxer SLE either way. Either like other SLE's by throwing it less, and sheeting in, or more like the c-kites by throwing it more powered and agressively . It depends a little on riding preference, and conditions. :-)

I haven't doen any big kiteloops with that kite yet, I am sure it works well though. :-)

I might come by your neck of the woods sometime this spring...

A.

gdorfman
Medium Poster

Postby gdorfman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:49 am

nonsense. alex has expressed his view at least 30 times. you can't dispute that global consensus.
Dax wrote:Alex - you need to check out the 07 Waroo seam, its really a great thing. The 06 seam problems are not just a Waroo thing, check out the threads going on about the seams on Cab's. You can also call Airtime repair shop in Hood River and get there take on it. Its specifically that type of seam and flat kites that is the problem, no particular brand is to blame.

Though I should say that there is nothing proving the 07 Waroo seam will be better (yet), it just looks and feels much better and cleaner. Adding the webbing was an extra step in the construction process for them to go through to improve the durability, so I don't think they would have done it if it doesn't matter. Webbing can be some damn strong stuff...

Sliding through the turns - I keep my hands in the center on any bar, so I don't think I was oversteering the kite. There is something to be said about putting all your weight on the bar even and still getting power. Makes for neat one handed downloop type manuvers and what not.... That's how C kites work and its the same with the 07 Waroo w/ direct rear bridle.

I think you might be right about playing with pigtail settings though, I didn't do that.

Next time I am in Oahu you should coach me on my jumps, but I think I was doing alright on the Boxer. ;) They were very high jumps and hung very long. I have seen the local team guys and they send the kite far too, they usually just kiteloop it back in front of them to account for it. Like I said there is nothing wrong with the jumping on the Boxer, it jumps great.

JeffD
Rare Poster

Postby JeffD » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 pm

So what is the range of a Boxer SLE 12m for a 88kg person using a 133 06 Sol? I've got a Boxer 1 14m and a Boxer 2 10m and I was wondering whether the 12m SLE would cover these 2 as I REALLY think it is time for an upgrade before the museum tries to poses my kites.

JeffD
Rare Poster

Postby JeffD » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:12 pm

So what is the range of a Boxer SLE 12m for a 88kg person using a 133 06 Sol? I've got a Boxer 1 14m and a Boxer 2 10m and I was wondering whether the 12m SLE would cover these 2 as I REALLY think it is time for an upgrade before the museum tries to poses my kites.

cisco86
Medium Poster

Postby cisco86 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:55 pm

here;s the wind range of the boxer
Attachments
rango de viento -2007-Naishboxer.jpg
rango de viento -2007-Naishboxer.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 870 times

so-crates
Rare Poster

Postby so-crates » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:22 pm

Well I think the conversion in the boxer is just more like a marketing thing. Personally I haven't seen anybody yet kiting with the 1:1 config. Even thought the bar pressure on the boxer is actually more than on CB1 with the 2:1 config.

If the price is important to you I would go for the boxer. If not I would go for the Switchblade 2. It is an more expensive kite, but it is far better then both. The SB2 bar system is also the best of the two worlds if you ask me.

The Ion seems also to be a nice kite. Everybody seems to like it. Haven't tried it though.

Tautologies, do you have any deal with Naish?

Return to “Kitesurfing”