Rare Poster
Local Beach: The gorge
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in the BVIs

Postby snmhanson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm

I am planning a trip down to the British Virgin Islands with a friend or two of mine who kite. While down there I am also interested in getting into kiting more (I am a windurfer living in the Gorge and have taken an introductory kite lesson but never have the time at home to get out and try it). I am a boat sailor and we will be on a boat for a week while down there. I was hoping someone could provide some insight on where to kite (which islands/beaches) and when the kiting season runs down there. I have been sailing down there several times but never for kiting so I never paid much attention to launches, etc... However, the wind always blows a steady 15 mph every afternoon so I know the wind is good down there, I just need to figure our where to go. Also, any hints for launching and landing kites from a boat (or if it is even possible or worth trying)? I though it would be fun for the kiters to be able to kite while I am sailing the boat. Thanks for any input.

Matt

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 am

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2332451&highlight=

It includes a Guide for the BVI. If you are experienced the Turbo Launcher is a good way to launch from a boat but otherwise stick to the beach. It's tough to blow up and launch a kite from a sail boat. Too many lines, stays etc.

goddles
Medium Poster

Postby goddles » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:10 pm

You best bet for kiteboarding in the BVI is the Bitter End Yacht Club.
They have gear and instructors.
Otherwise contact Kenny on Sir Richard Branson's Necker Island.
Anagarda is also a very good spot.
Winds are beginning to kick in this time of the year however over Xmass and new year they get the traditional xmass winds.....

Jimbud
Medium Poster

Postby Jimbud » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Matt,

I just got back last night from the BVI. We did a 10 sailing trip.

We had light winds for half the time and the other half was great. I only got 3 days of kiting, but we had some great snorkle days.

As long as you can stay up wind, you can go to Vixon Point in the North sound, they say the owner does not like kitters, but we bought alot of drinks from them, so they were happy to see us. Just be smart about it.

3 great spots in Anegada,
Any where in the main anchoring sounds is good.
Cow wreck bar,,,,,the best,,,,it's on the North side.
Also in is Jack bay,

they say there are more, but they all have to many stickers. You really have to watch out for them.

Then off of Jost, is Green Key, just north of Sandy key,,,,great spot. It's better then Sandy, both will work.

Then White Bay on Jost Van Dyke is good, just be sure to body drag through the boats before you start.

Those are the best, the rest had to many stickers.

Have a great trip,

Jim :thumb:

Jimbud
Medium Poster

Postby Jimbud » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Lauch from the beachs is the only way to go.

But, it is not hard at all to have you dingy hang off the back of the boat with someone in it to catch the kite, they then pull the plug on the leading edge and roll the kite up, then release the lines, at that point you wind your lines up, works great.

emmandkev
Medium Poster

Postby emmandkev » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:31 pm

Deleted
Last edited by emmandkev on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiterfreak
Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfreak » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you meant by "to many stickers"?

snmhanson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The gorge
Gear: North

Postby snmhanson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like the trip is on for the end of February. If we don't have wind EVERY day it will be ok since we will have plenty of other distractions like diving or, worse case, spending the day at the Willie-T drinking Painkillers. In any case it should be fun.

I am going to try to get a one kite, one board setup before I go which I will obviously use down there but also here in the Gorge on light days when I don't want to windsurf. I know I will need to use a different kite initially when learning but I'm pretty sure I can borrow my buds older small kite for that or else I will rent a small kite for learning on. So, anyone want to recommend a good kite (model and size) to get for my needs? Also how about a board? Thanks again.

Matt

Return to “Kitesurfing”