SWEATSHOP MANUFACTURING??

Forum for kitesurfers
raddog
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SWEATSHOP MANUFACTURING??

Postby raddog » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:30 pm

I just wanted to open this forum to give manufacturers a chance to assure us that we are buying from ethical corporations and the kiting industry is not taking advantage of overseas workers just to make huge corporate profits. I know that things like bars are being manufactured in China with the sale price of 10 USD with components add 10USD and lines probably 30USD. Therefore it surprises me to see a markup of 600% on these items in North America and raises the question if overseas labour is being taken advantage of? As it is almost impossible to research this without travelling to every manufacturing shop I thought that it would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth and possibly start seeing the fair trade certification on these corporate websites and product labels. I am not pointing fingers, and may be wrong on the bar pricing but thought some one should ask this question. Company reps please reply,
Thanks

k2ski3
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby k2ski3 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:05 pm

It is really the local government's responsibility to protect the rights of their citizens. Unfortunately, anyone can fake quality/ethics standards or have a flashy presentation to mislead customer's on their company practices. Therefore, I believe such statements are of little merit.

The cost of the required R&D to introduce new products on a yearly basis used to define your brand, is really expensive. Add in the issue of providing enough capital to support marketing efforts, & production growth and you need some serious cash to support your operations.

If there are excessive margins, the industry will continue to add more competitors trying to capture their share of the excessive returns. It will also eliminate the poorly managed operations that can't adapt to market changes. I have seen several US companies compete with offshore manufacturers. All it takes is strong management, value creation, & brand differentiation.

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am

Let me be the first to tell you that the factories used in the kite industry are not sweat shops. In fact, most of the factories I am aware of take very good care of there employees. For example A-lam one of the largest kite and sail manufactures provides rooming and farm land on the corporate headquarters for employees. A-lam is located in China.

In factories in Sri Lanka they also take very good care of the employees. In some factories you cant get a job unless you are friends or family with an employee, that way the work environment stays friendly and productive.

Here are some pics of factory conditions, not too bad if you ask me.

Also about the prices, they are not as low as you might think. When you factor in R&D, molds, tooling, and shipping it all adds up very fast. The reason prices are high has allot to do with distribution methods and the fact that the industry is relatively small so we don't have heavy volume discounts from suppliers. :thumb:
Attachments
A Lam Farm.jpg
A Lam Farm.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Alam 1.jpg
Alam 1.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
ALAM 2.jpg
ALAM 2.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: SWEATSHOP MANUFACTURING??

Postby Dwight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 am

raddog wrote:I just wanted to open this forum to give manufacturers a chance to assure us that we are buying from ethical corporations and the kiting industry is not taking advantage of overseas workers just to make huge corporate profits. I know that things like bars are being manufactured in China with the sale price of 10 USD with components add 10USD and lines probably 30USD. Therefore it surprises me to see a markup of 600% on these items in North America and raises the question if overseas labour is being taken advantage of? As it is almost impossible to research this without travelling to every manufacturing shop I thought that it would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth and possibly start seeing the fair trade certification on these corporate websites and product labels. I am not pointing fingers, and may be wrong on the bar pricing but thought some one should ask this question. Company reps please reply,
Thanks
Got to China sometime. What you think you know is so wrong.

Mulholland
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mulholland » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 am

Lets see. We use sweat shops, the sweat shop employees have jobs and can feed themselves, or we don't use sweat-shops, the people don't have jobs, and then we pay some corrupt union bums to produce second-rate product at inflated prices...hmmmmmm?...let 'em sweat.

Samio
Rare Poster

Postby Samio » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:05 am

Sweet, i just did an assignment on this at school, youll be happy to know that most sweat shop employees are payed almost 300% of the average wage in 9/10 countries, most of the highly educated people. eg. doctors, opt to work in "sweat shops" because they get a bigger pay packet. so check the facts before ranting. :roll:

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 pm

I've been sewing in the US for a whole bunch of years and the pics of the factory above show an environment a HELLUVA lot better than the former shirt factories run by the major clothjing brands that were formerly here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The people may make a lot less per hour, but their kids don't nag them (yet..) for $100 Nikes, $70. QUIK baggies and $3 snacks.

Besides, there's always going to be some failure-type here in the US claiming: "Over there: they have it soooo bad." ...porbably from the wi-fi connection at Starbucks.

Having said that, I think we should have a public hanging of the executives of Union Carbide and other companies that do things like Bopal.

Jim

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Re: SWEATSHOP MANUFACTURING??

Postby The Right Stuff » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:00 pm

If
raddog wrote:I know that things like bars are being manufactured in China with the sale price of 10 USD
and
raddog wrote:...and may be wrong on the bar pricing
then what are you basing this on?

spind
Medium Poster

Postby spind » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 am

Hey Raddog,

You need to put 'waroo" in the title to get any attention.

ie WARROO SWEATSHOP MANUFACTURING

I doubt Gumball, SQ etc would really reply honestly anyway....

Avery
Medium Poster

Postby Avery » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 pm

Are you guys sure kiteboarding products are not made in sweatshops that exploit workers? Check out this article from the New York Times:

The New York Times

December 29, 2003

THE WORLD'S SWEATSHOP: CAPTIVE UNIONS
China's Workers Unite, but the Bosses Run the Union

By JOSEPH KAHN

HENZHEN, China â€â€

Return to “Kitesurfing”