Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wanna show my surfer buddy how cool kiting is

Forum for kitesurfers

gdorfman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gdorfman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 am

i don't know. i like kiting, but honestly whenever i see a surfing video now, i think it looks like a much much better sport and makes me inclined to move somewhere good and devote myself to that. damn. i figure that maybe kiting is just easier, less crowded, less dependant on perfect conditions, but still, surfing (of the sort that justifies inclusion in a video) looks way further ahead and much more worthy of obsession.

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spork » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:25 am

gdorfman wrote:i like kiting, but honestly whenever i see a surfing video now, i think it looks like a much much better sport...
To each his own. But I have no interest in the waiting and paddling. When I kite for 2 hours I kite for 2 hours. If I surf for 2 hours I'm on a wave for about 90 seconds. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but one is definitely better to me.

Now tow-in surfing on 50' waves looks like a lot of fun (if I didn't think I was gonna die).

gdorfman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gdorfman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:16 am

exactly, but this is a practical point about what is most convenient, not what is a higher quality. i could also say cross country skiing gives more time per session than hiking for backcountry snowboarding, but different levels of peak performance obviously. that's a bit drastic though. anyways, if you appreciate waves, expressive carving, flow etc. then it's pretty hard not to think that surfing (at its peak) is way better at the moment. i watch kite videos to learn new things, but when i see top surfing i am absolutely transfixed.

or we could all just close our eyes to what pros do, what people outside our local duck pond do, and what people in other sports do, and live in blissfull ignorance thinking that we are athletic rockstars of the most bad ass sport in existence. apparently a good approach for many here, but not really a path to truth and personal progress.
spork wrote:
gdorfman wrote:i like kiting, but honestly whenever i see a surfing video now, i think it looks like a much much better sport...
To each his own. But I have no interest in the waiting and paddling. When I kite for 2 hours I kite for 2 hours. If I surf for 2 hours I'm on a wave for about 90 seconds. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but one is definitely better to me.

Now tow-in surfing on 50' waves looks like a lot of fun (if I didn't think I was gonna die).

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spork » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 am

gdorfman wrote:or we could all just close our eyes to what pros do, what people outside our local duck pond do, and what people in other sports do, and live in blissfull ignorance thinking that we are athletic rockstars of the most bad ass sport in existence. apparently a good approach for many here, but not really a path to truth and personal progress.
My kites have little to do with the path to truth. I just like to splash around in the wind, water, and waves, and I don't like to wait or paddle (but I have nothing against people who do).

Return to “Kitesurfing”