Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rebel 9m2 line adjustments, any tips?

Forum for kitesurfers
poor relative
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby poor relative » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:16 am

I fixed my 9 up per Dazzas instruction on their website.

works perfectly now, no canopy flutter, nil inversions, nil implosions, tight nice fast, light bar etc etc etc

Great kite just go better. Am going to try the same set up now with my 12 which has some issues.

Evie_T
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Evie_T » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm

I've been reading this thread with much interest as am about to purchase a 9m Rebel. The question is will I have to make the same adjustments to my kite when I get it home or is this only necessary on some kites?

Should I be put off by the problems other people have experienced? I haven't made my purchase yet so would prefer to know the pros and cons before parting with my cash!!!

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 am

Just for the score, I have had several instances of my 10m 2007 Rebel dropping out of the sky from the neutral zone. Twice in Jericoacoara Brazil when we had strong consistent wind but I let the back lines go a little slack by bearing off as I came into the beach. Several times in Swansea Bay in gusty winds (say 12 - 20 mph) despite trying to keep pressure on the bar. I still like the kite and have had many good sessions on it, but I will be trying the tuning instructions on this thread because the whole dropping thing is a bit scary. I also fly a 12m 2006 Vegas and have had no such problems. No inversion problems.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:13 am

Evie_T wrote:I've been reading this thread with much interest as am about to purchase a 9m Rebel. The question is will I have to make the same adjustments to my kite when I get it home or is this only necessary on some kites?
Yes, my Rebel did not have the incorrect pigtails (length), and after changing the bar tuning and adding the extra knots to the front pigtails the kite flies much better.

I have given my kite to a friend of mine to have a go, who flies a SLE with pulley's, etc. He was stunned by the direct feel of the kite, like a normal C-kite! But it still has the depower characteristics of a SLE!

If you are interested in a Rebel 9m2, ask yourself what you like to do with kiting, and what you except from the kite. It is not an easy kite which you can recommend to beginners. In contrary! It is a fast flying, really fast steering kite (waveriding, free riding). For freestyle there might be better suitable kites on the market.
Evie_T wrote: Should I be put off by the problems other people have experienced? I haven't made my purchase yet so would prefer to know the pros and cons before parting with my cash!!!
Try one before you buy. But keep in mind that the factory default bar settings are bad! Also most people do not like to ride the kite on the factory default front pigtail. My first reaction after a session with the factory settings was: sell it back to the shop! That the difference of tuning your set-up for 5 minutes max. Complete other kite.

But relaunch is much more difficult than a Vegas or a SLE - flat. But since I saw the instruction video of North I manage to restart it every time!

And you have to think about keeping some bar pressure when walking towards the water, or back to the beach. With total depower the kite will fall forward (LE first) when total depowered. That is with all flat kites.

An option (if you like a more C-shape feeling like I do, with a lot of depower) is to shorten the depowerline to the yellow or green setting. This way you limit the depower, but you can trim that with the clamcleat like a C-kite. Since I changed this I love the kite, and it hardly fell out of the sky!

Charlier
Rare Poster

Postby Charlier » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:43 pm

completely agree with Mig 27, once et up this kite is great.

i Moved from Rhino 05's to Crossbows to the Rebel. the crossbow was great but i wanted more of a classic grunt, the rebel delivers that with the depower. The 9 did take me some time to tune and you do need to keep the pressure on the back lines. Its not the best kite in really gusty conditions, a bow will be alot better but surfing large gusts is never that fun anyway.

I was annoyed with it on the factory settings to begin with but I also have the 14 which is perfect on the factory bar set up so i persevered with the 9 and am now really happy with it

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board

Postby mig27 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Charlier wrote:...I also have the 14 which is perfect on the factory bar set up so i persevered with the 9 and am now really happy with it
Charlier, what is your weight? What kind of board are you riding? Do you like the small overlap between the 9/14 as a 2 kite quiver?

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:13 am

If anyone is interested who has been following this thread I have updated my rebel tune tips http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com click on the link in 'hot news' rebel tune tips.

I have slightly changed the advice re 2 points:

1. definitely harder pumping up of the LE in 7m and 9m (aware that any extra above 6psi as Manufacturer speci is at your own risk)

2. shorter steering lines as indicated for the 7m apply to the 9m in my tips

Daz

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board

Postby mig27 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:00 am

dazza5172 wrote:If anyone is interested who has been following this thread I have updated my rebel tune tips http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com click on the link in 'hot news' rebel tune tips.

I have slightly changed the advice re 2 points:

1. definitely harder pumping up of the LE in 7m and 9m (aware that any extra above 6psi as Manufacturer speci is at your own risk)

2. shorter steering lines as indicated for the 7m apply to the 9m in my tips

Daz
Thanks Daz, I have pointed some Rebel riders to your website. Good source of info! :thumb:

Indeed I had better performance and more stability when pumping both the LEI as the struts rock-hard! Especially water relaunch became much easier.

Morfin
Frequent Poster

Postby Morfin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Is you 2007 bar stopper working? mine isn't. It slides. Its like I have nothing there to stop the bar.
Do you have the same problem?

turboJerre
Rare Poster

Postby turboJerre » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Mine works perfect, adjust the stopper line inside the cleat so it fits better and the stopper can't slide anymore under tension...

Return to “Kitesurfing”