CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:45 pm

ferrarista wrote:...

here is a link where you can buy them. I bought some and i can say they look almost like the ss clamps if not the same.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... %5Fid=2622
Hey, thanks for the clamp link! I was actually looking for some but couldn't find them. Similar clamps are used in the medical profession so if anyone finds some more links, please share. The SS clamps, I'm sure are just OTS from some other use, have deeper grooves to clamp, less of them (because they are wider) and they also have a raised ridge inside the clamp. The raised ridge is used to keep the clamp in a locked open mode. This is nice when storing.
ferrarista wrote:...

also about the tubing, why do companies don't use vinyl tubing instead of rubber. rubber gets crack over time. vinyl is much more durable and is also very flexible, lighter too in the right thickness. ...
With regards to the tube material. Yeah, I hear you and its a pickle. The black rubber will crack eventually, but can be easily replaced. The clear tubes that Flexi uses do require more straightening to inflate the struts. It seems harder and may maintain more "memory" than the softer black rubber hoses. I don't know though if it is the hose material or valve positioning. I know that my '04 one pumps never needed straightened and my '06s occasionally do. Like I said earlier, any UV protectant (303 or Armor All) will make them last longer.

Good info, thanks.

Darktanyan
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Darktanyan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm

I'm sure glad my one-pump valves were clamped off when my LE blew about 1 mile out! The struts held their air, the kite floated, and it was easy to self-rescue.

The RRD guy's argument is false and makes no sense.

ferrarista
Frequent Poster

Postby ferrarista » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:06 am

toddjb123 wrote: The clear tubes that Flexi uses do require more straightening to inflate the struts. It seems harder and may maintain more "memory" than the softer black rubber hoses. I don't know though if it is the hose material or valve positioning. I know that my '04 one pumps never needed straightened and my '06s occasionally do. Like I said earlier, any UV protectant (303 or Armor All) will make them last longer.

Good info, thanks.
No problem man :thumb: I think the tubing flexi is using is some kind of

vinyl tubing , but like I said earlier , vinyl in bigger thickness and I think flexi uses 3/8 inch OD do retain more memory. the fix for that would be to go with 5/16 inch OD wich is much more flexible and easier to pinch because of the reduced wall thickness . something like 0.79mm walls. It is much lighter, much more durable and will never crack like rubber. 5/16 inch is mostly used in medical application but can easily be found. The tubing I got is rated up to 100psi and only costed me 0.40$ Cnd per foot.
I know i'll never have to replace it.
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista
Frequent Poster

Postby ferrarista » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:15 am

Darktanyan wrote:I'm sure glad my one-pump valves were clamped off when my LE blew about 1 mile out! The struts held their air, the kite floated, and it was easy to self-rescue.

The RRD guy's argument is false and makes no sense.
I totally agree with you. one pump with nothing to cut off the air between chambers is plain stupid for the exact reason you said . If you are out very far you can rely on your kite to float at least.

Chris@sharkless
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Haven, Michigan

Postby Chris@sharkless » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Have you guys tried the RRD kite yet. The air goes into the struts, but it's not going to come out. To deflate this kite it takes more time, because you have to press out each strut. You can't hook up a pump and deflate this kite. I know I tried yesterday. It requires presure to deflate them. I'll grab a picture next time im out. You can deflate the leading edge and the struts stay inflated.

ferrarista
Frequent Poster

Postby ferrarista » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:30 pm

Chris@sharkless wrote:Have you guys tried the RRD kite yet. The air goes into the struts, but it's not going to come out. To deflate this kite it takes more time, because you have to press out each strut. You can't hook up a pump and deflate this kite. I know I tried yesterday. It requires presure to deflate them. I'll grab a picture next time im out. You can deflate the leading edge and the struts stay inflated.

ok cool so they use one way valves so the air goes only one direction. kinda like naish in their octopus system only they don't don't use tubing on the outside but directly in the bladder.

why din't the guy from RRD mention that earlier.

Foxyfly
Frequent Poster

Postby Foxyfly » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm

the Flexi tubing is a medical silicon tube

if it is an octopus system it should be mentioned in there marketing ?

definatly agree that you need clips to seal off the struts it takes no time at all

there is an argument that if you leave them open and you hit the water hard then the preassure increase would make its way to the struts and not blow your leading edge ? this is somthing i heard so dont quote me !

also if you do have a leak it is alot easier to find then with out for sure

and of course safty as mentioned before deep water pack downs are quite fun though, but how often do you need to do them ?

There is a need for clips on one pump thats my two pence also ibelieve it needs to be as simple as possible less tech the better :thumb:

Chris@sharkless
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Haven, Michigan

Postby Chris@sharkless » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:06 pm

Actually that's what it reminds me on is the shockwave setup. My nephew riders for naish and his kites you have to pushs the air out of too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”