Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

RRD One Pump, help please.

Postby marekmk » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Please could any one explain to me, why there are not isolation clips on the struts? Or am I not understanding the advantage of no clips to seal each strut.

If a bladder is leaking any where in the system, the whole kite deflates.

Is this just lack of planning on RRD part or is it in small part the appalling lack of awareness, from many brands that user friendliness in terms of the product experience, is not relevant to them?

If they charge us big bucks we should be demanding user friendly products, and great customer service.

Have email RRD and not received a reply!

Thanks in antisipation.

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:24 pm

just a question but how may slingshot guys cilp off thier struts regularly
? R

redskykiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay State Park
Gear: All Slingshot...RPX and UFO

Postby redskykiter » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:43 pm

marekmk If they don't have any clips Slingshot sells a one pump repair kit that includes clips. They should work as long as the tubing is close to the same diameter.

I clip of the struts all the time. I never used to, but got into the habit of inflating the kite, closing off the struts (doesn't seem to need very much psi with splitstrut) and continuing to inflate the LE. Now I just pump the whole kite to 6 psi and still close them. Never had any problems either way but feel better closing them

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:14 pm

.... have just spoken to three Sligshoot riders in Munie. two always close of, the other sometimes......

it,s justt that we need twelve sets. Thanks for the suggestion, more than
I got from RRD!!!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:32 pm

ctkiteboarding wrote:just a question but how may slingshot guys cilp off thier struts regularly
? R
all the time. had a slow leak in my LE recently which I found after a long downwinder. the LE was a bit soft when i landed, but the struts all stayed stiff thanks to the clips. its also great when you want to leave the struts inflated on your larger kites.

didn't even know RRD had one pump this year, that's pretty cool! i'm guessing the lack of clips are an oversight or else they have another system Nick will tell us about any minute. without clips, there would be no way to inflate the bladders out of the kite to test for leaks, so i'm sure they have something in mind. be patient, wait, an answer is coming..... :)

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:07 pm

then if u crash the kite the air moves around instead of exploding the leadin edge

Dr. Bording
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr. Bording » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:08 pm

The reason for not putting the clips on the final version of the kites (were on the protos) were multiple. first the fact that nobody really used them. after a while riders did'nt bother to close the clips.

If you hawe a leaking forntbladder, there is more time to gat a shore with no clams and the kite wil reamin calmer for a longer period of time. If on the other hand, you have a leaking strut, get to shore when you notice that your kite is not 10-4. over 90% of leaks is from the front blader.

The crask factor has allready been mentioned. It adds dramaticly to the overall strength of a kite not having clips. Flatwater crashes as well as surf pounding.

... and some more, but this is the main lines. Sorry you didn't get a reply earlier, but hope this answers your question.

BRGDS
Mads

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:21 pm

I always clip em off, after the sesh. kite dries faster, pumps up faster next time, less wear on kite/bladders if you have room to store with struts inflated. Deflate em only when I have to pack everything into a small bundle. Good point about leaving the clips open for surf, crashes!

RRD North America
Medium Poster

Postby RRD North America » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:05 pm

Another major reason for not having the clips is that they are known to destroy the canopy in places where people leave their kites on the beach for extended periods of time.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25 am

Two bull shit reason. It,s the wind that destroys the kites, if left on the beach, not clips.

Why with all the other brands using clips does the air not need to move around the kite to stop the kite destroying itsef, during impact with the water??????

I,m not getting into a major post with this issue.
Mads at RRD, if you want to be in the first league, start coming up with better reasons.
Your research from my experiance is wrong. The majority of riders do use there clips. Have spoken to at least twenty of them in the last 24 hours. Enough said, do not get the reason, diffrent reality. respect!

Return to “Kitesurfing”