Flying with crossed lines?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Flying with crossed lines?

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Water relaunch, kite flips inside out, lines get crossed...

How long would you fly like this? Is this just a "get yourself back to the beach" situation or can you stay out for an hour without damaging your lines?

I was out over the weekend and this happened to me. I was perfectly powered on my 17M and 128 board...but was unfortunately in a really crappy place to easily land my kite and fix the lines. I did end up erroring on the conservative side and it was a pain in the butt to deal with...would have much rather kept the kite up. Thanks for any tips!

kiterMD
Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2006 North Vegas 16m, 9m
2006 North Rhino 12m
2007 Flexi Ion2 14.5m
2006 LF Element 140, 2007 Escalades
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterMD » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:28 pm

When your lines are under pressure, they'll slice right through each other, or at least fray from the rubbing. Taking a few minutes to rerig beats ending a session early with broken lines!

stiffingandshifting
Frequent Poster

Postby stiffingandshifting » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I have the same question

I was at the very start of a 20mile downwinder on a 9 sle - Within the first 5min I underjumped my kite and it fell down and flipped thru the lines - In lighter wind I think it would've been easy to just pass the bar thru the Y at the top of the depower strap - It was blowing 25-35mph and there was absolutley no where to get out of this lake - Since a 20miles self rescue session didn't sound fun, I just kept on keeping on - It made me nervous for sure, but there was nothing different I noticed

Now the cross in the lines will move up and down - Sometimes it was close to the bar and others it was half way to the kite of further - I thought there could be some friction between the 2 lines rubbing, but they held up and don't look worn

Whats the verdict on crossed lines?

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Hey Todd,

So you're talking about the rear lines crossing the front lines once, right? I've always been a bit curious about this also. Personally, I've accumulated a few hours over the past few years of flying like this with no apparent trouble. The rear lines tend to have a bit of slack most of the time anyway, so there really doesn't seem to be much friction involved between the two. Unless a landing and reset is relatively easy, I would finish out the session without any major worries. Might not be the time to try kitelooping though.

-Cape Charles dude

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:16 am

Any time your lines are wrong get back in quick and fix them. The twist can make many things go wrong or break. The twist can work its way down and affect steering. You may be ok, but why would you want to chance it. Also on some kites a twist in the lines can really kill the safety system.

stiffingandshifting
Frequent Poster

Postby stiffingandshifting » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:20 am

Can you just grab the depower strap and throw the bar thru the Y?

With a kite that sits at the edge of the window depowered it might not be that hard

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:46 am

if the winds too strong to easily, (and I mean very, easily) pass the bar through the front line v to clear the tangle. dont worry bout it, its happnd to me numerous times on ocean downwinders where my crappy surfing abilities got the kite in the drink and flipped through the lines. it dont matter. wear, sure it will happen (very slightly if at all) but as someone said above, (especially with SLE) the rear lines arnt under much pressure, so the likelyhood of them cutting your front lines is slim.

conversely, do you freak out when your front lines are crossed after too many rotations? they are under alot more pressure... after the first twenty minutes youve forgotten all about em and ride for the next four hours with themcrossed 10x over

all the same, maybe play it safe and ride a little conservatively if you got a line cross

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:14 am

I generally would just get straight into safest spot and put the kite down for a fix. I get really irritated when lines are not perfect and just have to change them.

Even after doing rolls I spin the bar back immediately I land it or even as landing it as I hate to think that my lines are rubbing together.

I have also noticed a few different kites seem to place more or less tension on the main lines when steering lines are twisted on them.
yes I also don't like any twisting up of main lines or now 5 th element, I try to do equal move in both directions to keep this to a minimum.

Daz :thumb:

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:23 am

You can fix this on the water with a SLE kite by just putting your kite down on the water, and then passing your bar through the V formed by the two front lines. At least it my buddy reports that it works with the new Boxer SLE.

Obviously don't try this in strong winds.

:wink:
CG

wallyman
Frequent Poster

Postby wallyman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:18 pm

I've had this problem on several occasions especially when i was learning, I used to come to shore and untwist it. However if it happens now i just continue to sail, have inspected the lines and no sign of wear, this is after 3 hour sessions. I don't believe that the lines will cut through as it's only the front lines that are taught, the rear ones easily slide around them. There is very little resistance on good quality lines and would take alot to damage them.Although only superficial, more damage will be done sailing after a spin without untwisting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”