Dakine Storm

Forum for kitesurfers
tazzpowerup
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dakine Storm

Postby tazzpowerup » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:53 am

For those of you that have used the Dakine Storm harness how is it?

devin
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby devin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 am

i used one yesterday for an hour or two on snow. i usually ride an '03 pyro so this was pretty different for me. the hook position felt really low which was great for lax cruising, but when i unhooked i couldn't hook back in. this was partially because i'm so familiar with my waist harness, and also because my jacket was bulging out infront of the hook. i'm sure with some time on the harness it would work fine for me in that way.

another thing i noticed was that the bar was locked in place with Dakine's metal clip system (posi-lock?). the harness i was using was an XL while i normally ride a Medium waist, so it would fit over my baggy winter clothing. the fact that it was fairly ill fitting probably adds to it, but once i had the spreader bar (i don't ride with a spreader bar pad) pop out of the side of the hook that didn't have a screw to hold the bar locked in when a power spike came up.

also, since the bar is held in with clips instead of sliding on webbing like my Pyro, riding toeside was extremely difficult and caused the spreader bar to almost pop out again.

the harness was super comfy, though it was extremely awkward to walk around in.

overall i think it would be fine if i were just cruising around on my heel edge, but for much of anything more it wouldn't suit me.

i'm sure others can give you more thorough, well informed replies as i've only used the harness for 2 hours max.

.devin

abowman
Medium Poster

Postby abowman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:08 am

Hey tazz,
That's the harness I ended up getting this spring. Seems good so far for everything I use it for, but so far that's basically what was described above.. Cruising around heelside, jumping a bit.. I use it with the pivoting spreader bar and spreader bar pad. Did notice that a couple of the straps are fraying a bit at a couple points, which seems premature. Seems comfy while riding, although it's really the only harness I've used much.
Did you wear out your OR harness?

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

Dakine Storm

Postby tazzpowerup » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Hey Abowman

No the Ocean Rodeo harness is still going strong.

I'm just looking for a harness that will fit my 13 yr old son,this will be a christmas present for him.

The storm looks like it would work well around his skinny waist.

abowman
Medium Poster

Postby abowman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:35 pm

I see.. Sounds like a good plan.
Also wanted to agree with the comments about going toeside. Probably partially just that I haven't got my body dialed in to riding toeside, but the harness does feel pretty awkward when I try... Not a big deal for me at this point, and probably not a bid deal for you son at this point...
Overall, I think it's a good harness for the price. I'll trade ya mine for an OR harness :thumb:

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

Harness

Postby tazzpowerup » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:59 am

Ya I bet you would trade for the OR Session nice harness.

My young fellow waist is only 28" & as you said the Storms price is cheap good starter harness.

Darktanyan
Frequent Poster

Postby Darktanyan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:44 am

I've been riding one for two years. It suits me fine, except is has a flaw where the spreader bar pops out, as mentioned above. The fix is to thread some material (like a bungee) through the pieces. Search the forum and you'll see a picture. Once this is done, the harness works great, it's light and strong.

Return to “Kitesurfing”