Forum for kitesurfers
jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jimmyc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Rueben Lenten, Andy Hurdman, Shannon Best step aside. RICK DUNN is the new hero! The only person reported on Kiteforum 40 or older to be landing dangle passes. Go Rick! :thumb: Thanks Stacey.

ozbuggy, it's the CHALLENGE! I know you understand that. Cuz if you're not challenging yourself and learning, then why bother? Anything gets boring if you're not continuing to learn (IMO). Luckily kiteboarding provides almost limitless things to learn. :thumb: :bye:

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm

5 of us braved the cold waters at Cherry Beach in Toronto yesterday, all over 40. No dangle passes but having a blast just the same. This was 2 weeks after our first snow kiting session less than an hour away!

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm

I think this is the best thread on kiteforum in a long, long time (still amazed some people on here that I thought were 16 are close to or over 40...) and it's given me motivation over the last few days and yesterday, I landed my first flat 3 off a little kicker/wave. I'm a year away from 40, but I gave up on trying to make a pass after a month of trying all types of handlepasses and mobes including kiteloop handlepasses last year. Then I got injured this year and never pushed myself after I was back on the water. So thanks to all those who are my age or older but, like me, still 20 at heart.

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:07 pm

Nice Gumball. Mind sharing some pointers on what allowed you to land the flat 3?

I'm going to take the high road on your other comment, except of course mentioning it here. Some of us do learn from our mistakes...

Congrats on the flat 3 though, that is quite an accomplishment..especially after the injuries and time off the water. Go team 39. You'll have to travel to the cold white north and show us your skillz next summer.
:thumb: :bye:

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:04 pm

going to be 41 next year so add me in
there is no age when you kite, we all turn into a rather primitive form of life when we hop on that board...
the moves, the style and how much you charge is all so relative
as for me, this is one of the few "groups" i'm happy to be part of...
getting comfortable with blind riding this year.....I plan to learn dangle passes when my 2 year old daughter will finally start to kite with me in a few..or when Stacey shows me how it's done :wink: which ever first
enzo

Thermal
Medium Poster

Postby Thermal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:24 am

Great thread.

I'm 46, however certainly is just a number (other than the time it takes to heal and reading in dim light). I think I stopped counting around 30, it even seems weird to write it or say it. Anyway still going strong, surfing, snowboarding, mountain biking and yes... my fav, kitesurfing for the past 4+ years.

No handle passes, just kite loops, back loops, and will take off on any wave that has come through my home break to date ;) Also just plain fun to catch some serious old school air.

I'm stoked to be alive and living in the moment!

Keep on keeping on all, and happy holidays.

peace

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:17 am

In Delaware where I kite 40 is considered young. I am 51 or 52 not really sure. We got a couple guys in thier 70s and a lot in thier 60s. They are really getting some air on thier bow kites. Damn I wish I was 40.

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:59 am

what does this say for the future of the sport? These are pretty messed up demographics.....How many guys under 25 are there at the beach?

I think there is a bulge in the number of kiters that came over from windsurfing in the 80's when that sport was pretty big. Perhaps a lot of the guys that got into windsurfing at that time were sailors who discovered there was something faster and more fun than a laser or 505. These same guys are a bunch of this over 40 kiting crowd, if my guess right. The problem is there is not a group of youngsters following us old guys...

Who knows....but the same thing goes in music...ever notice that most of the working musicians at company parties or clubs are guys who grew up with the beatles?

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 am

This is good. It's finally becoming clear to you guys that anyone born between 1950 and 1965 was blessed with an extra dose of testosterone. You know, the aquarian age. Big muscles and big brains and the souls of budha. We's all special limited editions. And it bled over into longevity and the pudding is in the pie. Move over all you young peeps cause we's out and about and kicking creme pies right and left. (gotta run now and empty my leaky bladder)

Still kind of split on this issue though. Half of me wants a young doe and the other an understanding, mature woman.
Attachments
split.jpg
split.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 766 times

kiteingdude
Rare Poster

Postby kiteingdude » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:52 am

I'm 62 and having a great time. I've had my time in sports when I was young and I'm still having just as much fun now, even at my age.

Return to “Kitesurfing”