Forum for kitesurfers
Darktanyan
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting and climbing

Postby Darktanyan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 am

I'm looking for a vacation spot that features good kiting (intermediate-advanced) and climbing (beginner-intermediate, indoor gym is okay).

North/central america, caribbean, Jan-March, would be ideal.

Thanks

TheCuban
Medium Poster

Postby TheCuban » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:45 am

Check out cayman brac http://tradgirl.com/areas/nonus/caymans/

But where ever you go do your self a favor and dont go climbing on plastic it will be way more rewarding on the real thing

sab
Rare Poster

Postby sab » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Squamish, British Columbia. One hour north of Vancouver towards Whistler you have the Squamish Chief to climb with hundreds of routes on a granite face as well as the Squamish Spit to kite with consistent 18-20 knot winds. Best in the summer months.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:09 am

The Eiger seems like the obvious spot: climb the North Face & then take in a little Speedflying... :D

<http://www.acro-base.com/fr/imgs/galeri ... s/eiger06/

(Can't resist - just love that video :thumb: )

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:08 am

If you cross the pacific you can have it all. 2 hours south of Sydney you can ride in any wind direction in and around Jervis bay and climb at Nowra (sport & trad, sandstone), Point Perpendicular (mostly trad, sea cliffs, sandstone), bungonia gorge (multipitch limestone) and ther is even a bit of granite not too far away. Climb in the morning kite the seabreeze in the arvo.

If you go the other way, Tarifa has some good trad and sport climbing 15 minutes west of the kiting beaches. Mosaic wall is something else.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:50 am

you could go to madison wisconsin and ride on lake mendota but theres usualy no wind unless its cold and then you could head north about a half hour and do some shit climbing on i think its called devils lake ok its not that bad its just not a mountain its like realy short or atleast the part i was was real short but i quess its better than an indoor gym for sure. or if you want some blown out waves and lots of big nasty chop and coldness head east and hit the big lake but becareful make sure you bring a mask since milwaukeee dumps all there shit litterally strait into the lake and its just rained alot so there probably dumping it right now as i type and then we all get sick and write them letters.

on a more serious note squamish BC would be awesome i was there but didnt kite and its so scenic and the snowboarding is awesome just the drive up to whistler is even awesome i'd definately go there again i loved that place.

later
-henry

Return to “Kitesurfing”