monique
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cancun, here I come

Postby monique » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi all,

A beginner, with my own equipment, seeking for any information and tips that can smooth the landing...
Arriving to Cancun on Thursday, 19th of January (yep, very soon)
Recomended clubs, where to sleep (not too expensive), and any other relevant information you think may assist!

Thanks,

Monique

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Litewave Dave » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:05 am

Monique,

You should call Foka at Ikarus Kiteboarding in Playa del Carmen. He has a shop, is a super nice guy and good rider and knows everybody.

contacto@ikaruskiteboarding.com

I will be there then completing the Cozumel / Maya Riviera stop of the Litewave/GK tour of the Americas.

Let's hook up!

monique
Rare Poster

Postby monique » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey Dave,

I've emailed ikarus,
I'm still trying to do some home work, where to sleep and where to go (arriving alone and i'm a beginner, so I'm trying to make it a smooth landing),

I'll be happy to hook up,
I think that I'll arrive there friday morning (will know for sure tomorrow morning)
So you can email me or call me at monique@giant-steps.com 972545434341
Monique

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:43 am

You wont get much kiting in Cancun. Too be honest I wouldnt bother even going there..... go to Playa de Carmen , Tulum or Cozumel.
Kiteshop in Playa De Carmen is good and friendly.

have a read here....

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... ght=mexico

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

bigmark100 is unfortunately 100% wrong and uninformed about

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:00 pm

cancun. The absolute BEST place for a beginner/intermediate is the lagoon of "isla blanca" located 20 minutes north of the city of cancun. It is an absolute virgin paradise of super shallow flat water riding. The IKARUS IKO school of kitesurfing is there and are classes happening every day. It is the ONLY mainland site to be when the NORTH fronts hit as its offshore everywhere else (except island of cozumel of course) and for beginners still struggling with relaunch and upwind body drags to get their boards its absolutely perfect.

check the ikarus page: http://www.kiteboardmexico.com
for pics and directions to get there.

btway, weve had 5 days of nonstop 20 knot NEast conditions with 12 foot swell in the ocean and wed thursday is forecast another north front!

good winds

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:09 pm

I second everything Joe says and wonder why hes not riding now it is cranking what up Joe?

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Re: bigmark100 is unfortunately 100% wrong and uninformed ab

Postby bigmark100 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 pm

chirojoseph wrote:cancun. The absolute BEST place for a beginner/intermediate is the lagoon of "isla blanca" located 20 minutes north of the city of cancun. It is an absolute virgin paradise of super shallow flat water riding. The IKARUS IKO school of kitesurfing is there and are classes happening every day. It is the ONLY mainland site to be when the NORTH fronts hit as its offshore everywhere else (except island of cozumel of course) and for beginners still struggling with relaunch and upwind body drags to get their boards its absolutely perfect.

check the ikarus page: http://www.kiteboardmexico.com
for pics and directions to get there.

btway, weve had 5 days of nonstop 20 knot NEast conditions with 12 foot swell in the ocean and wed thursday is forecast another north front!

good winds
is this not a private area that you need to first get permission to kite at?

KRW_fi
Rare Poster

Postby KRW_fi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:53 am

Hello,

If you go to Playa del Carmen, please call Ikarus before to ensure that there is instructor presence.

I was in Playa del Carmen one week in November and I asked from Ikarus shop,Instructor, equiopment to rent and where is the kite beach because I couldnt find it by my own.

All instructors were in Cancun whole week, There where only kites to rent not boards (or vice versa), and they didnt know how to reach to the Ikarus beach.

Cheers

franck-IKS
Rare Poster

Cancun

Postby franck-IKS » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 am

I agree, I personnaly think that Cancun, and specially Isla Blanca is the best location in Yucatan.

20 minutes from Hotel Zone in Cancun, you can ride and all types of wind, sea side protected by a reef or lagune side.

I don't advice much playa, the beach is small ! 2 others places are nice, the beach of the "café del Mar", 10 KM after playa, and Tulum.

http://www.IKS-kiteboarding.com
Franck

franck-IKS
Rare Poster

Cancun

Postby franck-IKS » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 am

I agree, I personnaly think that Cancun, and specially Isla Blanca is the best location in Yucatan.

20 minutes from Hotel Zone in Cancun, you can ride and all types of wind, sea side protected by a reef or lagune side.

I don't advice much playa, the beach is small ! 2 others places are nice, the beach of the "café del Mar", 10 KM after playa, and Tulum.

http://www.IKS-kiteboarding.com
Franck

Return to “Kitesurfing”