Forum for kitesurfers
blowhard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HAWAII

Postby blowhard » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:12 am

We went all around the Big Island when I was into windsurfing in the 80's the one spot mentioned would have been a chore to windsurf there .
On RickI's note I bid on the radar staion on the south point a couple years ago ,I think it went for $235k,
I believe it was 7 acres, what a location,! right at the end of the earth ,with some big drop-offs to the sea.
Boat launching into some heavy seas and I would imagine after a long ride to shore ,we saw some scary looking stairs along the cliffs ,
but there was a lot of wind

five
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby five » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:07 pm

Yeah...seach the forum as this has been covered somewhat. Winter is not the best time for kiting...summer is much better as we get fairly consistent thermals. Nobody really kites on the windward side due to very difficult launches/sketchy wind/no wind where there is good places to launch. Trust me...people have tried. Kona side during Kona winds can be sweet...but that is fairly rare. Some sporadic thermals in the winter as well. If you are a kiter on the BI in winter...you surf or travel to other places to get your adrenaline fix :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”