kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leash a surfboard?

Postby kitingkt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:31 pm

hey forum,

i have been pondering whether or not to leash my surfboard and that debate was brought to a head with the photo of Sky Solbach on the march issue of kiteboarding magazine. i was surprised to see that he was using a leash. this was the first i have seen of a 'pro' leashing his board. not sure how often the occurrence is but, it made me think.

i am on my second year wave riding and will loose my board while out at some point. while a twin tip will just float in the water, a surfboard will skate across the water and wind up 30 meters downwind before i can even recover from the crash. i don't plan on jumping my surfboard. that was the real danger of leashing your twin tip that i can tell, if you lost the board in the air, when you landed you had a missile bearing down on your forehead.

i always where a helmet and the odds of my board hitting my head have to be outweighed with the chance that i will loose my board and get washed by a wave that could lead to the downing of my kite etc...

so, what to do? leash or not? what do you use?

thanks
kt

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 pm

I never use a leash.....

But if i where surfing a place like Sky was, where your board gets washed up on dry coral, then i would....

If your reef have an inside section where the waves will leave your board after a whip-out, don't where on.... If not, do like he does.. :wink:

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leash a surfboard?

Postby HelldogBE » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 pm

kitingkt wrote: i am on my second year wave riding and will loose my board while out at some point. while a twin tip will just float in the water, a surfboard will skate across the water and wind up 30 meters downwind before i can even recover from the crash. i don't plan on jumping my surfboard. that was the real danger of leashing your twin tip that i can tell, if you lost the board in the air, when you landed you had a missile bearing down on your forehead.
used to leash my twintip as a beginner, got rid of it when I started doing big jumps so when u kick it off your feet if won't come behind.
didn't want any leash again...

recently I bought an SRT 5'11 and lent it to my mate to go to a wavespot, lots of rocks (like at any good wave spot) at the beach offcourse, and it also ended up with the tip of the board against a rock.
He got it fixed and got me a leash, had a short ride on it yesterday in 35knots. I like it!
No more forever bodydragging to get to the board, no more having to stay away from the shorebreak (we got a forbidden military kitespot here where there's no beach at high tide, just one big rock wall. Definitely didn't want to get too close to there)

Negatives:
-when u loose your board the leash can get caught either behind your harness or around a leg, pretty annoying when u want to get up on the board and somethings holding u back (especially with a huge wave coming hehe)
-again the leash can get fiddly when jybing, but i'm still learning to jybe so drop it a lot. I think this won't happen often.
-u need to know where the board is after the crash! if its towards the wave, yank the cord so its either downwind of you. If you don't have time for that, either hold your hands/arms in the direciton the board is, or if u don't know at all just protect your head with your arms!
usually with the leash the board won't be too far and u can either give it a yank towards u, or it will already have drifted more downwind and past the wave of yourself... no danger!

Positives: no more loosing board at all, if it gets nasty near shore. Bodydrag out to sea with the board hanging onto your leg!
no more worrying about the board getting lost in big surf(I know how fast they go with the waves, not fun!!!), u can put all your focus at keeping the kite in the air while u get tumbled in the surf
Also even when it's not dangerous, I find in wave conditions its almost always impossible to bodydrag upwind because the waves and wind (and kite) pull u waaay downwind and the board usually only moves in the direction of the current and waves (wich is sometimes upwind).

PS. my mate got me an o'neill leash, I think the length is about 2 meters? I don't jump higher than about 3 meters either with it (not really jumping, just coming fast towards a wave and getting popped into the air. but always land it soft offcourse! no trix!!!) I think the chances of getting the board yanked towards yourself are minimal with the kind of jumping that happens on this kind of board.

Conclusion: big surf? a shoreline that u don't want to come close to? get a leash but be well aware that the board will be in your vicinity when u crash!
there's little risk of the board slingshotting against u since u don't loose it during jumps, but a wave can get it going towards u pretty fast :bye:

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Postby simonm » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:21 am

People have been killed getting hit by a leashed board. If the risk is worth the reward then go for it!

cRAZY Canuck
Frequent Poster

Postby cRAZY Canuck » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 am

If you where going to use a leash with your surfboard I don't think I'd use a stock standard surfboard leash there only 6' long even the longboard ones are only 11' or so. Plus their springy so they can have a tendency to come back at you, couple that with excessive leg movement and your going to get a good knock in the head.

Should see if any one is using a reel leash for surfboards not that great cause they always slap your leg but that said there 20' long and the coil in the reel isn't realy strong enough to pull the board through the water at you. I used to use one with my twin tip (stoped cause i started to jump) and i found that it rarely used to whip the board back at me except that one time it clocked me good thing I had the trusty helmet on.

Having just said that if your going to use a leash wear a helmet and impact vest it will only take one time of being clocked by the board to ruin your day.

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 am

I used a surf leash back in the day of no leash.

I had the board come back to me after the leash loaded up.

6 stichhes and a hole the size of a hand in my helmet, if i did hot wear the helmet who knows?

If you need to wear one, go for a very short one 1m no loading, or reel leash, and all ways wear a helmet.

Stick a nose guard on your surf board if its a pointy one.

russbates
Rare Poster

Postby russbates » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 am

macca wrote:I used a surf leash back in the day of no leash.

I had the board come back to me after the leash loaded up.

6 stichhes and a hole the size of a hand in my helmet, if i did hot wear the helmet who knows?

If you need to wear one, go for a very short one 1m no loading, or reel leash, and all ways wear a helmet.

Stick a nose guard on your surf board if its a pointy one.
Just wondering if this was with a real leash or standered surf board leash?

Neil
Medium Poster

Postby Neil » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 pm

I would never use a conventional surfboard leash but I sometimes use a reel leash. Never had it spring back at me as the leash is so long. The recoil on the leash is very slow as well and certainly not strong enough to bring the board back at you if you kick it off in the air. If i have a leash on ill always wear a helmet as well though.

russbates
Rare Poster

Postby russbates » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:13 pm

I use a reel leash (beginner see) and have never had any issues with it recoiling too fast, usually i have to pull on it to get the board to return to me if i lose the board.

If using a surfboard why not use a surf board leash, no issues with elasticity or reel recoil?

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:06 pm

hey fellas,

thanks for all the suggestions and info. i am still debating it but, might get a reel leash at least until i get really good at jibing the board. i always wear a helmet and the rubber tip on the point is a great idea.

kt

Return to “Kitesurfing”