Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestion to kite makers!

Forum for kitesurfers
gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:02 am

One thing... the only thing that kind of sucks about red bars is that they're really pink after a couple of weeks in the sun. Do we really want pink? Okay, so maybe I'm a fashion f*** myself. Anyway, just pointing that out for people to ponder. Yellow/Green or Yellow/Blue would still look nice after it faded. Yellow/Black isn't really an option as far as I'm concerned (same with Red/Blue) because obviously the manufacturers don't want to crawl on their knees and accept a competitor's bar colors. So we need something new.

aahi
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby aahi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:29 am

I'm going with the red/left and green/right folks on this one....

In most waters that I know of we are considered to have the same right of way rules that windsurfers and sailboats have, thus are considered a watercraft... Red/left and green/right has for a very long time been an International! standard for airplanes and sea vessels, and aren't we a little mix of both?

for me this should be the only colors that we should consider... something the whole world is accustomed to...

(at least most manufacturers have the red/left part down, if we could only get them to agree on something for the right, green maybe? :) )

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 am

Hey guys, at eclipse all of our bars come with different grooves on the red side, and smooth on the black side.

This way you will always know which end your using without having to look at the bar. Also we put a big NO on the wrong side.
Attachments
bar.jpg
bar.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:32 am

eastcoastkite wrote:Hey guys, at eclipse all of our bars come with different grooves on the red side, and smooth on the black side.

This way you will always know which end your using without having to look at the bar. Also we put a big NO on the wrong side.
:thumb:

Nice job. Sounds brilliant, but I am curious: does it feel funky in your hands like that?

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:08 am

That's what I thought, but after we tried it we thought it felt good. Its nice a soft EVA and it makes the bar safer IMO

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:38 am

..........this should be a no brainer. A release that can be esily pulled by the left or right hand, depending on the circumstance of the incident.

Have witnessed a kiter being dragged. with the right hand trapped as she was being hauled down the beach.Of course she found it impossible to release with her left hand because the relaease was on the right.........

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Red - green bars are also super nice for simple right of way rules.

When you are sailing with the red end forward, then you have to yield. When you are sailing with the green end forward, then you have the right of way.

Red = Stop
Green = Go.

Very easy to remember.

F-One have a small red and green ball on either side of the bar, just underneath the stopper. I think that works really nice.

Flysurfer makes a nice bar. Green on one side, red on the other and a big red/white strip on the back side of the bar, so you can easily see when you grab it the wrong way.

/Marc
GoExtreme.dk

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 am

mmunzer wrote:Flysurfer makes a nice bar. Green on one side, red on the other and a big red/white strip on the back side of the bar, so you can easily see when you grab it the wrong way.
That sounds like the best design yet. That's what I've been pushing for.

gideonlow
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek
Favorite Beaches: Scott Creek, Waddell Creek, Santa Maria's (26th Ave)
Style: Surf
Gear: Peter Lynn Kites, custom TT and surf boards, custom bars.
Brand Affiliation: Monkey Air Kitesurfing

Postby gideonlow » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:03 am

You guys all crack me up. Why don't you just get some tape, waterproof marker, or whatever and just change the colors and/or touch-points to whatever you want? You can write me off as a kook or crank since I don't even bother with vendor bars (unless seriously modified), but this one just seems too easy . . .

Cheers,

Gideon

Psycho13NL
Rare Poster
Gear: FS

Postby Psycho13NL » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:30 am

mmunzer wrote: Flysurfer makes a nice bar. Green on one side, red on the other and a big red/white strip on the back side of the bar, so you can easily see when you grab it the wrong way.
This is what it looks like:

Works great for me

Return to “Kitesurfing”