Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Len10´s words about bowkites

Forum for kitesurfers
JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby JS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:18 am

surfingwithkites wrote:Keep an open mind. One fact is that no one is going to win the pkra or kpwt on a bow.
Ok, I'll follow your example and keep an open mind.

surfingwithkites wrote:Trying to draw an analogy between C kites and 2 line kites is stupid.
Following is a quote from an old thread. Read it once. Then read it again, but substitute "bow" for "4-line" and "C" for "2-line". Sound familiar?

"4-line kites may offer more range and control than 2-line kites, but I think 4-lines are just a fad because a lot of pros were not quick to adopt them. Also, those extra lines are dangerous because they can get tangled and twisted. I know lots of people that have witnessed this, and some lives were clearly put in jeopardy. And another thing: If you have good skill, and edge really hard, you don't need the depower ability of 4 lines, so these kites are probably just a benefit for beginners. But come to think of it, it's dangerous for beginners to learn on a 4-line kite because they will be a danger to themselves and others when they try to fly a 2-line kite. Also those 4-line bars are too complicated and they compromise the direct kite feel..."

thesteef
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby thesteef » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:06 pm

I think eventually it all boils down to marketing. There's a group of kiters out there that would never ride a bow. So we just give them an excuse by calling it an sle or hybrid. That way they can still say they're on a C.

Take the rebel for instance. You'd have to be completely blind to call that a C but lot's of people do. It saves them from some embarrassment .

As far as I'm concerned, when you have swept back wingtips and any type of support for the leading edge (bridle or 5th) it's more an SLE than a C.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:03 pm

JS wrote:
surfingwithkites wrote:Keep an open mind. One fact is that no one is going to win the pkra or kpwt on a bow.

surfingwithkites wrote:Trying to draw an analogy between C kites and 2 line kites is stupid.
Following is a quote from an old thread. Read it once. Then read it again, but substitute "bow" for "4-line" and "C" for "2-line". Sound familiar?

"4-line kites may offer more range and control than 2-line kites, but I think 4-lines are just a fad because a lot of pros were not quick to adopt them. Also, those extra lines are dangerous because they can get tangled and twisted. I know lots of people that have witnessed this, and some lives were clearly put in jeopardy. And another thing: If you have good skill, and edge really hard, you don't need the depower ability of 4 lines, so these kites are probably just a benefit for beginners. But come to think of it, it's dangerous for beginners to learn on a 4-line kite because they will be a danger to themselves and others when they try to fly a 2-line kite. Also those 4-line bars are too complicated and they compromise the direct kite feel..."
JS ... you are the MAN!!! :mosh:

That quote you found sums up the whole truh about what's going on. :thumb:

And thesteef is spot on as well in noticing that some companies are calling their SLE/bow kites "hybrids" so their riders can feel as though they are still riding a "C" kite!! :roll:

Anyway you both can see through the mist! :bye:

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm

JS I did exacty what you said and replaced the two line and four line remarks with C and bow! :thumb:

It's really funny as the second paragragh is pretty much identical to many of the arguments some people use when trying to discredit bow/SLE kite designs! :roll:

"4-line kites may offer more range and control than 2-line
kites, but I think 4-line are just a fad because a lot of pros were not quick to adopt them. Also, those extra lines are dangerous because they can get tangled and twisted. I know lots of people that have witnessed this, and some lives were clearly put in jeopardy. And another thing: If you have good skill, and edge really hard, you don't need the depower ability of 4-line, so these kites are probably just a benefit for beginners. But come to think of it, it's dangerous for beginners to learn on a 4-line kite because they will be a danger to themselves and others when they try to fly a 2-line
kite. Also those 4-line bars are too complicated and they compromise the direct kite feel..."

"bow kites may offer more range and control than C kites, but I think bow are just a fad because a lot of pros were not quick to adopt them. Also, those extra bridles are dangerous because they can get tangled and twisted. I know lots of people that have witnessed this, and some lives were clearly put in jeopardy. And another thing: If you have good skill, and edge really hard, you don't need the depower ability of bow, so these kites are probably just a benefit for beginners. But come to think of it, it's dangerous for beginners to learn on a bow kite because they will be a danger to themselves and others when they try to fly a C kite. Also those bow bars are too complicated and they compromise the direct kite feel..."

KRW_fi
Rare Poster

Postby KRW_fi » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:34 pm

OK This thread is never ending story..

-but still, If you live place where you dont have stable wind -never Then the BOW (or hybrid or SLE or..) makes a difference.
At least in northern europe and especially on lakes it's normal that wind speed changes a LOT..

But ok, you can continue..

By the way; I prefer Canon over Nikon..
:lol:

nemoz
Medium Poster

Postby nemoz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:06 pm

In Italy some person said :"facciamo a gara a chi ce l'ha più lungo!" that may sound like :"Hey man my dick is longer than yours" that may sound like:" yes I use C kites and my dick is longer than yours, yes I'm man more than the others that use a BOW or SLE" it sound pretty funny from a boys of only 18(probably 19 I don't know) years old ( I'm sure he is one of the best kiter in the world, but I heard a lot of stupid things from 18 years old boys)...

I like to ride both C than bow or sle, but I'm sure that in some days with phoen in the north italian lake with gusty wind from 15 to 35 knots or over I'll ride only bow or sle, not C.... but probably I'm too old ...

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:41 pm

ScottM wrote:
JS wrote:

JS ... you are the MAN!!! :mosh:

That quote you found sums up the whole truh about what's going on. :thumb:

And thesteef is spot on as well in noticing that some companies are calling their SLE/bow kites "hybrids" so their riders can feel as though they are still riding a "C" kite!! :roll:

Anyway you both can see through the mist! :bye:
Also, does the marketing behind the "convertable" SLE /5 liners like the SS Link kind of remind you of the marketing behind the old 2-line /4-line convertable C's to get the rest of the 2-liners on board.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Yeah marketing seems the same! :D

Funny thing is I see a picture of the new Flexifoil kite and think nice SLE. However I think they refer to it as a hybrid?!? So I think if you make a SLE but wish people who want a C kite to be pursuaded to try it call it a hybrid.

However I just think call it a C kite and people will buy it! Why stop at hybrid and make it sound like a bastard design? Call it a C kite and even when customers say but it doesn't look like one, tell them to shut up and buy the thing!! :thumb:

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 pm

It's not only pro's that like c's....for me it's a personal preference. I rode several bow's but still prefer the more exact feeling and constant pull through the turns... If a bow/SLE can offer me that I'd be more than happy to comply but untill so far....I'll keep on riding my C's...just as there are people who prefer bow/SLE's...

The kid below has the choice and rides big waves with ..... C's

http://www.kevinlangeree.com/f_index.html

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Hey Xray.... yeah if you dig a C that's great! :thumb:

Just notice that those who prefer bows/SLE's get told they are kooks because they ride less hardcore kites! :roll: It's a bit like when 4 line kites came in and the macho guys called the 4 line kiters chicken .... with their chicken loops!

I'll be the first to admit that surfing through reefs with a C kite is not my idea of fun, way too much risk if you loose an edge! :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”