Forum for kitesurfers
constantino7491
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

TANGLES IN MY LINES!!

Postby constantino7491 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:19 pm

last time i went to the beach i spent maybe about an hour untangling my lines and i see other people setting up their lines perfectly and getting out in 5 minutes ! i put my lines around my bar in the 8 figure and everything does anyone have any tips?

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: TANGLES IN MY LINES!!

Postby mx5alan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm

constantino7491 wrote:last time i went to the beach i spent maybe about an hour untangling my lines and i see other people setting up their lines perfectly and getting out in 5 minutes ! i put my lines around my bar in the 8 figure and everything does anyone have any tips?
Check out the Line-Crawler thread.... :thumb:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2334745

or http://www.kitelobster.com

another helpful tip is to Larkhead the front & rear lines together on each side of the kite when you disconnect to wind your lines.

BizB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Gunpowder, Matapeak, Triton
Style: Freestyle/Big Air
Gear: Slingshot RPM/RPX/SST/FUEL
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby BizB » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:41 pm

• Keep the lines tight between your fingers when you're wrapping them up.
  • Try to keep them from crossing as you wind them up
  • Walk toward the kite as you wind. that way the ends don't drag and get wrapped around each other.
  • When I disconnect the kite, I larks-head the end of the steering line to the end of the power line so they stay together.
  • When You unwind, make sure you're holding the bar the same way you were when you were winding the lines.
  • Walk away from the kite as you unwind the lines, but don't drag the ends
  • When you're walking your lines and you are getting close to the ends, don't lift the ends off the ground where the wind can tangle them

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:16 pm

I say after you unwrap the lines, pull the bar a few feet to pull out any slack in the lines. Any slack is what becomes a pain when you are walking the lines out. Same thing after disconnecting the lines from the kite and getting read to wrap the lines around the bar. Take out the slack first by pulling the bar a few feet to stretch the lines out.

When walking the line out, try a combination of these two methods:

Walk them out with the two center lines running between your legs and then one through each hand. Your side lines should be running around the outside of your body and through your hands. That way if you drop one, there's still no way they could have crossed. Keep your arms spread wide to auto-detangle as you walk forward.

When the lines don't want to slide because they're twisting around eachother, place all of the lines in one hand, resting in sequence in the spaces between your fingers. That way you can use your other hand to work through the tangles while still keeping them separated.

Also, get multi-colored lines if you don't already have them. It's a sin that some manufacturers wrap their bars with four white lines.

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:37 pm

try to untangle the outside lines first and then go back and do the inside lines. (separate the outside lines from the two inside lines, lay them away when you are done separating them, then go back to the bar and separate the inside ones)

and attaching your bar to something, or burying it in the sand so you can tug on it helps me.

:bye:

InMezzoAVoi
Frequent Poster

Postby InMezzoAVoi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am

BizB wrote:
  • Keep the lines tight between your fingers when you're wrapping them up.
  • Try to keep them from crossing as you wind them up
  • Walk toward the kite as you wind. that way the ends don't drag and get wrapped around each other.
  • When I disconnect the kite, I larks-head the end of the steering line to the end of the power line so they stay together.
  • When You unwind, make sure you're holding the bar the same way you were when you were winding the lines.
  • Walk away from the kite as you unwind the lines, but don't drag the ends
  • When you're walking your lines and you are getting close to the ends, don't lift the ends off the ground where the wind can tangle them
Right!!.. and i add another important thing:
before unwinding the lines fix all 4/5 ends of the lines at the board or another fixed point near the kite .....stick the board on the sand and then begin to unwind the lines ...when they are unwinded, pull the bar and put tension on the lines..done!!...they will separate.Usually it works. :)

bye

IMAV

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 am

if you do have a birds nest, work on one line at a time....

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:16 am

twist the lines as you wrap it onto the bar 180 degrees, this stops the lines front twisting over each other and makes them lay flat

you can also seperate left and right sides with a finger and this further reduces line tangles

when walking lines out fix CL to something so you have tension

ps line crawler works good

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:12 am

And an obvious suggestion:
If you think you might have tangled lines, straighten them out on some nice grassy lawn on a no wind day .. don't show up at the beach and waste valuable kiting time dealing with this kind of thing.

:wink:
CG

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 am

wrap the lines when there still connected to the kite and then once you cant wind anymore disconnect them
also always keep tension on the lines
and wrap your bungy leash around the bar to make sure nothing can slip. if its still getting tangled maybe your lines are all bent and old and kinda have a curliness to themthen it might be time for new lines?

i once pulled my safety with a slingshot bar that had all white lines when i was learning since i couldnt relaunch( i was only like 200 feet from shore) and it took me 2 hours to untangle them. the ironic thing was the wind was onshore and woulda just blown me to the beach in a minute but i was a scared newbie lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”