Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm

since Cumbuco is the furthest south, it has less wind than the beaches up the coast, with Jeri the strongest.

But in some month you rather go south because of toooo strong wind up the coast!

You pick your wind according to the month and beach. For me the wind is just fine in Cumbuco, since too strong winds will be much more dangerous and I hate small kites. I'm an old schooler, flying 12+16 all the time (while others ride 7-12).

Off season is more about 10-16 sqm.

But if you are interested in this area, fly to Fortaleza, stay in Cumbuco for some days to get into the life and see things, then drive up the coast and see where you want to invest. Simple as that!

Greets
Toby

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby just do it » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:30 pm

Fortaleza will be the Miami of Brazil. Keep this in mind and we will discuss this in 10 years again...[/quote]

In 10 years time we might not be allowed to fly away on holiday more than once a year, if at all. :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:02 pm

then you really need to change something! :wink:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:08 pm

Toby wrote:then you really need to change something! :wink:
Changing my carbon footprint. :idea:

How big was your footprint this year Toby?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:51 pm

I don't understand what you mean?

Golden Cobia
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Golden Cobia » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:10 pm

carbon footprint.... is the new hot talk by corporations. meaning if you went out of your way to reduce CO2 emissions (less flying around, ocean freighting product vs. flying cargo, smaller / fuel friendly vehicles etc.) then your carbon footprint is small.
In most cases is a bunch of bullshit, because by reducing the footprint, you reduce your expenses as well, which is generally the bigger motivation in corporate world. but hey! if you can keep the radical environmentalists happy that's an extra little bit of turd you don't have to swallow later.... or something.

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 pm

Be wary of the risks of buying property in foreign nations, especially 3rd world areas. At any time the government can decide that foreign ownership of land is illegal. It is happening in Venezuela right now. It has happened before in Brazil. A friend of mine (from the Netherlands) had an uncle who bought a home in Brazil a long time ago. It was taken from him by the government. He was given no compensation for his property, just asked to leave.

All real estate investment is risky...just be careful and don't count on appreciation...or even continued ownership.

Owning a waterfront home in a warm windy place with nice locals would be nice though. It's nice to hear some of you are able to do that and enjoy it. Good luck. :thumb: :bye:

Kite Adventures
Frequent Poster
Location: San Francisco, CA and Brazil (Kite Adventures tourism company)

Postby Kite Adventures » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:05 pm

Venezuela and Argentina are quite different with real estate laws. We made sure before we bought anything down there that there's no way this can happen... I'd be curious where this happened to your uncle in Brazil because I have never heard of this before down there...

nick bartlett
Rare Poster

Postby nick bartlett » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 am

Kite Adventures wrote:While Cumbuco is great for more popularity and the lagoon, prices are much less as you go up the coast. We are so happy to have picked Paracuru to buy a house, as the downwinders and kite spot there is a ton better than choppy Cumbuco. Toby, ya gotta give me that!

We were very lucky to buy a huge house there (it's on 4 lots of land, huge garden etc), bought it in February 2006 and this season we have been told by the locals that the price of the house has gone up 50% in just 1 year.

Go even further up to Lagoinha and Fleixeiras. All great spots even more wind than Cumbuco. Cumbuco has the least amount of wind of the 300K coastline.

Brazil is amazing and if you can get in while the market is still low, it's the best thing to do!
Bang on,

I hope Toby is right though as i would not want the much better riding spots further north being spoilt. For property Cumbuco may have it but not for kiting!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 am

no, further up the coast it will always be natural and nice and cosy.

Cumbuco also has a great lagoon, and the downwinder is nice and if you know the area, you know where the nice waves are...
So, for me it has it all.

If Brazil changes their laws, then Brazil will be history anyway...too many foreigners are here anyway...with money...which means a lot in Brazil...and there is not so much oil, meaning foreign money is needed here.

Anyway, we will see. I'm not rich, so if I loose something, it won't be much!

Return to “Kitesurfing”