Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Still Don't Believe in Global Warming...

Forum for kitesurfers
Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Scribbler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 am

Mulland,

Do you agree the planet is warming?
We may all disagree on the causes, natural or man-made...

But hey,

Is it happening?

Will sea-levels rise? Will we lose land mass? (bye-bye Mauritius and a legion of other coastal communities) Will eco-systems be destroyed? Will PEOPLE lose their homes and livelihoods?
Mulholland wrote:'in fact much research would suggest that global warming is the best thing for an ever-growing population'
Now tell me that's a 'good thing' again. Or is that your God's plan to cleanse the planet?

Answers on a postcard please...

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:43 am

JS wrote:
Mulholland wrote:Sporky, sporky sporky...You have some real issues buddy boy...The in context quote not only suggests Al Gore ABSOLUTELY DID claim to have invented the internet, but he claims many other equally momentous and brilliant ground-breaking ideas.

1. "I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
Is this statement untrue? Please provide credible references. Your opinion is worth nothing in this context.
Mulholland wrote:2. "I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."
Again, is this untrue, and if not, who cares? Credible references please.
Mulholland wrote:He is saying that not only did he "create the internet", but he is such a superstar hero that he also moved forward the moon, stars and set the planets ever so perfectly to rotate around the sun.
He is? Again, credible references.
Mulholland wrote:He is FOS, plain and simple...he is worse than a simpleton, is a deceptive self-serving propagandist who is actively attempting to rip the country in two with his opportunistic alarmism.
Why should your opinion on this matter be taken seriously?
(This one is a rhetorical question. Don't bother making a further mockery of yourself by answering.)
Excerpts from Mulholland's reply:
Mulholland wrote:Yes, Al Gore did not...most rabid leftist...typical lying politician...personal puffing...Everybody in America...state of the...over-taxation...growing the poor...inner city fiefdoms...high-murder rate quagmires...pffff...Mine is much greater than Al Gore's, for sure.
Mulholland, I asked you four clear questions (one rhetorical).

You did not answer even one of my questions. (If it is a reading-comprehension problem, I suggest that you read my questions again carefully, one word at a time.)

Although I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, you simply reinforced that communication with you is an utter waste of my time.

I can think of few better examples for the declining global public opinion of the USA than the sentiments represented by you, Mulholland, regardless of how correct you believe that you are. Right or wrong, your comments reinforce a very challenging sterotype.

Goodbye,
James

Mulholland
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mulholland » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:42 am

Scribbler wrote:Mulland,

Do you agree the planet is warming?
We may all disagree on the causes, natural or man-made...

But hey,

Is it happening?

Will sea-levels rise? Will we lose land mass? (bye-bye Mauritius and a legion of other coastal communities) Will eco-systems be destroyed? Will PEOPLE lose their homes and livelihoods?
There is one and only one solution to stop naturally occurring global warming; if I am to accept the alarmist scare-premise that the globe warming is bad. We will need to increase particulates in the atmosphere...Yes, indeed, the only solution to global warming (BOOOO!) is for us to increase pollutants...Do you see how ridiculous you people are?...30 years ago it was settled, beyond any doubt, science that pollution would surely create another ice-age. Therefore, if we take a little old junk science, and mix it with some new junk science, we must assume that the only solution to global warming (BOOOO!) is to INCREASE pollution.

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Hey, sporky...This time, please don't disconnect from the facts I present. Don't put your fingers in your ears and chant "na na na na na...I can't hear you...na na na na na"...I am, once again, providing evidence to back up my argument, for the 38th time.

Yes, indeed, it is settled environmental orthodoxy that particulates, pollutants, would contribute to a cooling globe...Now, go and pollute...do it for the children!

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 am

Mulholland wrote:Hey, sporky...This time, please don't disconnect from the facts I present...I am, once again, providing evidence to back up my argument, for the 38th time.
These scientific facts are right on par with your "facts" that the earth is 6000 years old.

Whoever is reading this thread to you needs to read slower and more loudly.

Incidentally, this is a bit off-topic for our off-topic thread, but I must know... do you own any kite gear?

harakiri
Medium Poster

Postby harakiri » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:30 am

Scribbler wrote: I'm worried: Will sea-levels rise? Will we lose land mass?
Don't worry, sea level would not rize. Basically, there are two components to sea level change:
1. Ice melting/accumulating
2. Thermal expansion.

As you might be aware 90% of ice is accumulated in the Antarctic. The temperature recorded in the antarctic is hopelessly flat -- therefore there is not even a remote chance that antarctic could lose even 0.001% of its ice. In fact the alleged global warming would contribute to wetter climate and increased precipitation over antrarctic. Therefore, the antarctic would accumulate even more ice.

How about ocean's thermal expansion? Well the difficulty is to predict how the ocean would warm up, in particular, how temperature increase would be distributed by depth. If only shallow layer of water warmes up, then the effect is negligeable.

Not to mention that GW predicts more warming over the land then over the oceans. The recenly launced Argo sensor networks has only a decade long volume of data, but it failed to register any ocean's warming, let alone "accelerated" one.

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:48 am

Mulholland wrote: we must assume that the only solution to global warming (BOOOO!) is to INCREASE pollution.
Classic.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 am

Mulholland wrote: There is one and only one solution to stop naturally occurring global warming; if I am to accept the alarmist scare-premise that the globe warming is bad. We will need to increase particulates in the atmosphere...Yes, indeed, the only solution to global warming (BOOOO!) is for us to increase pollutants...Do you see how ridiculous you people are?...30 years ago it was settled, beyond any doubt, science that pollution would surely create another ice-age. Therefore, if we take a little old junk science, and mix it with some new junk science, we must assume that the only solution to global warming (BOOOO!) is to INCREASE pollution.

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Hey, sporky...This time, please don't disconnect from the facts I present. Don't put your fingers in your ears and chant "na na na na na...I can't hear you...na na na na na"...I am, once again, providing evidence to back up my argument, for the 38th time.

Yes, indeed, it is settled environmental orthodoxy that particulates, pollutants, would contribute to a cooling globe...Now, go and pollute...do it for the children!

Hilarious, you're quoting an article that says "what causes the onset of major and minor ice ages remains a mystery" and "our knowledge of the mechanisms of climatic change is at least as fragmented as our data" from a publication from 1975 as your evidence?????

By the way did you read it at all?

Not only is this article legendarily wrong, so wrong that newsweek actually found it necessary to revisit the issue and state how wrong it could have been October 23, 2006, 31 years later.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15391426/site/newsweek/

I tried to give a short run though of what scientific evidence is, but I doubt that you actually read it...maybe you should.... ;-)

A.
Last edited by tautologies on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 am

harakiri wrote:Don't worry, sea level would not rize.
Oh thank goodness. Then I can just ignore the entire global scientific community and go with your gut? What a relief.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:11 am

Yes, thank goodness. Please do just tell us what we want to hear.. Harakiri for president!!! The one percent of the people who control 99 percent of the USA's money should know what is best for the rest of us sheep....errrrrrmmmm.... Science, schmience... Lets look out for the big oil families and the blain bramaged guy showing up in the "short" limo at the Oval Orifice...

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it." - Governor George W. Bush

Darwin help us!!!!!!

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 am

My OPINIONS on climate change:

1. The climate is changing and the sea level has been rising, partly or largely due to substantial atmospheric changes caused by humans.

2. Localized weather events, such as the nasty 2005 hurricane season, are often mistaken by laypeople as meaningful evidence for climate change. Useful evidence is based on much more wide-ranging data.

3. Public awareness and concern in the developed world has reached a turning point during the past year, thanks largely to the widespread success of "An Inconvenient Truth", regardless of the degree of its accuracy.

4. Humankind's actual practical response to climate change will probably involve more adaptation than effective prevention, whether we like it or not.

5. The next stock market craze will involve "clean", "carbon-neutral" and "efficient" energy technlogies, as well as other climate change related ventures, for better and for worse.

6. Due to a growing global economy and peaking fossil fuel production, dramatically rising fossil fuel costs in the next several years or decades will help to promote renewable energy sources and energy efficient technologies.*

*Unfortunately, on a personal level, economics is probably a bigger incentive than ideology for actually changing consumption habits. I find it telling that two of the most persistent public/media issues lately, at least in Vancouver where I live, are 1) concern about climate change and 2) indignation over the high cost of gasoline. It's like living in two parallel universes.

BTW, I thought that one of the most important messages in "An Inconvenient Truth" was the reminder that energy/carbon conservation doesn't necessarily need fancy government-sponsored technology; it just requires us to remember to turn off the !@#$%^&* lights, air conditioning, furnace and stuff like that when we don't need them.

Cheers,
James

Return to “Kitesurfing”