Real Kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
WhiskeyTango
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Real Kiteboarding

Postby WhiskeyTango » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Hey, just curious how many people out there have done some Real Kiteboarding courses. Does anyone think that the price is comensurate with what your getting? The facilities look awesome, and I'm probably going to make my way down there in the future.
Thanks for the input.
WT

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby 72kiteboarder » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Eveyone I know that has taken lessons or a camp from them has been satisfied,

However........

Read their policy on refunds very carefully.

Even if you are skunked by a hurricane they will not refund your money for lessons or camps. They will only offer store credit or rain checks for the lessons.

ONE
Rare Poster

Real Kiteboarding

Postby ONE » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:30 pm

You owe it to yourself to check out Ty Luckett at http://www.kitehatteras.net
He has the slickest set-up in Hatteras for training with his boat based lessons, I think he has two boats this year for training. These are not waverunner types but fullsize 24-30' boats with seats and shade for your families comfort while your in the water learning.
He is a great instructor and a very nice guy.

My 2 cents...

OBX Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Secret Spot, Virginia; Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, Garda
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Jimmy Lewis boards.

Re: Real Kiteboarding

Postby OBX Kiter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm

ONE wrote:You owe it to yourself to check out Ty Luckett at http://www.kitehatteras.net
He has the slickest set-up in Hatteras for training with his boat based lessons, I think he has two boats this year for training. These are not waverunner types but fullsize 24-30' boats with seats and shade for your families comfort while your in the water learning.
He is a great instructor and a very nice guy.

My 2 cents...
Ditto, not trying to pimp Ty, but he's the man. If you don't ride yet you will when he's done, and if you already ride he will elevate your skills. I worked with him a lot last season and exceeded my own expectations 10 fold. You also do not pay in advance, so if you get skunked your not out anything. He is running two boats this year. Capt Billy Stark is teaching the "Ty way", on the second boat, a great dude and instructor as well.

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:23 pm

I totally agree with what One + Obx kiter state.....your best option is Ty's set-up.

I did take a course with REAL (" EVolution")...super nice folks, they make you feel like you are the king, the set-up is nice. Hot showers + changing room...however, when I left, I was disappointed.. I got right back to my old bad habits...I didn't feel like I got any better...

The next Spring, I went with Ty on a "Tower-time "lesson ~~ that thing rocks the casbah....he'll be able to get you riding normal heel side , as well as toe-side...SWITCH....Jump...

He has a huge beautiful boat, so you not riding on a jetski getting wet ( sucks when it's cold out)...

And, I 'd say book now if your thinking about it..I booked in Jan for May, + when I was there~ tried to get extra time,,, but he was booked full.

And 72 is right,,, you will get NO refund on your money...they'll give you store credit for another lesson, gear,anything REAL has to offer... etc etc....

If that is fine with you __ cool.... but if you're expecting a refund..~~ won't happen

Just my opinion after I took the 2 camps

HAve Fun!!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Also try Jay Crawford at
http://www.outerbankskiting.com/

I have not heard complaints from people who have taken lessons with Real, however, Ty and Jay will definitely be more flexible around weather, budget, and your availability. Just the nature of a small operation vs. a large operation.

Large place has its benies too and you'll walk in Real and have friends for life, but Jay and Ty are both solid instructors.

Check 'em all out! :thumb:

dwb
Rare Poster

Postby dwb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:07 am

Hey... I took a few days of lessons at Real about 3 years ago. can't recommend it enough... the jet-ski is the way to go with lessons and everyone was real friendly.

Not sure the policy now, but when I went I had to pay in advance and if there was no wind, you could just postpone the lesson to when there is wind, or get store credit. So if you're there just for a day or two it might be tricky.

FNG
Rare Poster

Postby FNG » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Have not taken lessons from Real, have taken a lesson from Ty and lessons from other market shops.
I have met some of the people at Real time and again (just last week, one of the guys loaned my daughter his dry suit - BIG THANKS!) and the ones I've met are straight forward and go out of there way to help you. However, my take is a little different regarding lessons.
If you are new to the sport, you need a road map for progress with a realistic cost estimate otherwise you might be left a little hollow after a bad condition session, one in which your progress was so-so or one in which you get skunked.
Ty's operation impressed me because it is one-on-one and has the widest possible variety of options to answer poor conditions or your level of expertise. He is not going to be a spur of the moment introduction to kiting (unless you are lucky and he has an opening) which is what you can get from a Real. Ty and others like him are professional personal trainers and the better they are, the more fully booked they stay.
You should have a goal in mind when you talk to Ty so he can evaluate where you are and how to get you there.
If you are not sure what kiteboarding is and need an intro, go Real but go basic so if you do not have a perfect experience or get skunked, you're not out much. If you have a great experience, then consider talking to them about where you might want to go and what the Real(!) cost will look like in time and money. Do not settle for the zero - to - hero stuff. If the stars line up and you and the conditions make it happen, great. Otherwise, regardless how good the instruction, you are trying to force a left glove onto your right foot and the end results will be unsatisfactory.
It is a fantastic sport. Don't let bad experiences early on leave you crabbing about what a waste getting into it was. Like anything worthwhile, you just have to be prepared to get a little early on so you can get a lot later.

mbigger
Frequent Poster

Postby mbigger » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:16 pm

I have taken lessons from Windsurfing Hamptons(Long Island), Ikarus Kiteboarding (Mexico) and Real.

Overall, most instructors take their mission at heart. I can only say great things about these 3 schools.

In November, I took a full day of lesson with Sam Bell at Real to improve my tricks skills. He spent 6 hours on the jet ski while I was having fun on the water. It was really good.

Michael

hiway12
Medium Poster

Postby hiway12 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:35 pm

can't recommend Ty and KiteHatteras enough. I took a beginner lesson from Real and luckily got out before they had broken my wallet. their sytem of milking you for lesson after lesson before you even get in the water is legendary down there. One weekend with Ty and I was riding, every moment spent on the water with the best gear. Also he gave me with enough expertise to work on my own thru the following summer, then a year later I went back for advanced lessons (jumping, downloops, raleys). Ty's got a new boat this year and it rocks. These are defintely the best lessons on the the Outer Banks (or Miami in the winter months) :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”