4rno
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhino VII 16 or Assault II 16 ?

Postby 4rno » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for a kite with a powerful low-end, just to enjoy cruisin' and jumpin' in light wind (10-20 knts), and I thought about one of these two kites.

For unhooked stuff and stronger wind, I'll better keep my old 12 C-shaped kite.

I'm 200lbs - 95 kg.

Any other kite and/or size (not bigger than 16, anyway) suggestion welcomed.

Thanks

4rno
Rare Poster

Postby 4rno » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 am

Help needed here, please :bye:

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:34 am

4rno wrote:Help needed here, please :bye:
The Assult stinks for riding anything other than if your a beginner...
Easy waterstart etc...

But not half the jumping /power off the R7 or any other good kite...

b a n g i n i s
Rare Poster

Re: Rhino VII 16 or Assault II 16 ?

Postby b a n g i n i s » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 am

4rno wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm searching for a kite with a powerful low-end, just to enjoy cruisin' and jumpin' in light wind (10-20 knts), and I thought about one of these two kites.

For unhooked stuff and stronger wind, I'll better keep my old 12 C-shaped kite.

I'm 200lbs - 95 kg.

Any other kite and/or size (not bigger than 16, anyway) suggestion welcomed.

Thanks
The kites you've mentioned aren't comparable at all.. Assault it's just a begginer kite and Rhino advanced freestyle tool.

For light wind cruising try 15sq.m Atoms or even better 16.5 ION2. Caution Answer gives very good quality/price ratio.

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:28 pm

4rno,

Definitely the kites aren't comparable. The Assault is a true Bow whereas the Rhino is a hybrid. Both therefore have the characteristics common to their designs.

The Assault 1 was not that good but LF have made great improvements to it. The Assault 2 is the equal of any bow kite out there right now.

Anyway, I've ridden both of them and can comment as follows:-

The Assault definitely has the edge in light wind. However, get above 12 knots and you will boost higher with the Rhino. For gusty weather,very light winds or kiting in control at 17 knots+ then the Assault will be a better choice. If you're operating in the 12-18 range then the Rhino is going to deliver better performance.

Unhooked - the Rhino will sit deeper in the window and provide constant power. If you're hardcore unhooked then this is the way to go. But the Assault 2 bar is better than the North one IMO and for sure that nice big chicken loop is way easier for hooking in and out. If you aren't throwing KGB's and advanced unhooked stuff then the Assault will be good enough.

The Assault 2 is not 'just' a beginner kite. It's going to be a bit more flexible than the Rhino in wind range and wind conditions. But the Rhino will deliver a more extreme experience if you're in that 12-18 area most of the time.

My choice - if 50% or more of your time is going to be in 12-18 and it's not wildly gusty then go Rhino. If more than 50% of your time will be less than 12 knots then go Assault 2. Relaunch is a non-issue for either although the Assault 2 will get going faster. Waves are better with bows so if you've you're going to spend any time in waves then maybe you need to think about that.

Do you travel overseas? If you do then with the bow you can take one kite rather than 2 and have a greater range of kiteable conditions (wind range, gusts, waves or flat).

The same arguments apply to the Raven 07 as do the Rhino. The Raven 07 is what I use as I had to make a choice between it and the Rhino. Came down in the end to the support I could get from the dealer. I own an Assault 2 19 for really light winds but the 16 Raven gets the most use. I couldn't give a damn about the brands and am not going to say Naish this, North that and Liquid Force the other. If LF brought out a hybrid 16m kite that boosted as high as the Raven/Rhino then I probably would have bought that - again based on the local dealer. HE tells me the Havoc is stuck at 14M which is just too small. If I had only had the money to buy one kite then I might well have gotten an Assault 2 16 cuz I need that 10/11 knot capability. If the local North dealer knew his arse from his elbow then I might have gotten the Rhino instead of the Raven.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Horses for courses at the end of the day.

4rno
Rare Poster

Postby 4rno » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:35 pm

I mentionned these two kites because they're made by brands that I know I can trust in, and they seem to both have the low-end I'm searching for. You guys are right, they just share the same surface :)

Unfortunately, I can't try any of the new stuff here (small caribbean island) since there's only one retailer, working with Bestkiteboarding. So I tried the Waroo 16, and reading your comments, it looks near the Assault : I think I'd rather prefer a C/hybrid kite than a bow one.

frez, if I take a look at the average wind conditions here, 8-16knts gusty wind (20knts), the Assault may be the right one.

I forgot to mention that I spend some times in waves. What about Rhino's depower ?

Any idea about the Assault's bar pressure ?

I'm still a bit confused, but many thanks for your comments guys. :thumb:

b a n g i n i s
Rare Poster

Postby b a n g i n i s » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:27 pm

4rno wrote: Any idea about the Assault's bar pressure ?
If you compare Assault with any of hybrids - then bar presure is huge. If you compare Assault with another bows - then it's quite ok.

Return to “Kitesurfing”