Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windwing BatWing Demo in NJ Wed 04-18

Postby Xtream » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:14 pm

NJ & NY Kiters,
I have just been informed by John Chow owner of Windwing Kites and Sails the he is making a stop at LBI NJ on Wednesday 04-18 before they hit Hatteres for windfest. They will have the new radical design BatWing available for demo all day Wednesday.
Depending on the wind direction we will either be on the Ocean Brant Beach or James St. Anyone who is interested in demoing these kites can call my cell phone 201-456-0829 I can give you the exact location where we will be. I'm looking forward to testing these kites. :thumb:
You can see the kites here http://www.windwing.com/dnn/Kiteboardin ... fault.aspx

X
Attachments
7E7C4675.jpg
7E7C4675.jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI

Postby Xtream » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:27 pm

WOW, These kite's are radical, very different from anything I have seen or flown. The conditions were very low wind not even kiteable, (5-15MPH) however two riders rode in the Ocean briefly. We flew the kites on the beach to get a feel for them. We set up on the Bay (James St) and kited in light wind in the bay. (Much less current then the Ocean).
What's most impressive is how easy the re-launch is even in these light winds. Very Impressive. The Windwiing Team is headed for Hatteras and will be Kiting and testing the 15 meter Batwing till tuesday. If you in Hatteras you really need to fly this kite. Attached is some pictures taken by a local photo bug. Very impressive work:thumb:

X
Attachments
WW LBI Demo 4-18-07.JPG
WW LBI Demo 4-18-07.JPG (211.85 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Bullroarer Took
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bullroarer Took » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 pm

From the beginning Windwing was touting this as a light wind, fast turning kite. We still have yet to see ANY evidence of that. In previous demos "the bar we sent you out on was too small, that's why it was turning slow," or "the wind was too light." But "look how well it jumps!" (with a 140 lb pilot flying against a current). Even in the snow kiting video it was noticibly slower than the other kites, both in straight line and turning speed. I'm sure there was a reason for that too.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Xtream » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Bullroarer Took: Wrote
From the beginning Windwing was touting this as a light wind, fast turning kite.
Yes thats exactly what this kite is, I was there I saw it with my own two eyes. It was light wind, there was a strong current going the same direction as the wind. The current was actually stronger than the wind.
Yes the rider was 150 lbs he was jumping and riding, the kite was fast, and fast turning, kite looping was very fast. No excuses were made, just very impressive performance in very poor conditions.
Windwing has definatly put together 2 awsome kite in their line-up for this year the Rampage 2 and the Batwing. Go fly them for yourself.
This kite is a winner...

X

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:18 pm

As a former Garden State resident myself I feel compelled to ask, "Will there be a special BadaBing Bat-o-Wing Edition?"

:lol2:

CTPedro
Rare Poster

Postby CTPedro » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:13 am

I don't normally call people out but in this case I have no choice.

Xtream, how on Earth are people riding where the current is stronger than the wind and travelling in the same direction?

That being said I can see how the Batwing might be a good idea. It really does enable the trailing edge of the kite to breathe like the twisting block heads on modern windsurfing sails. The latest iteration with the giant cutout looks like it may have gone a little too far and removed that useful material from the spot with the most projected area. The original small notch made a little more sense.

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 am

how on Earth are people riding where the current is stronger than the wind and travelling in the same direction?
The current must have been 10-15 knots more than the wind speed :roll:

It would be interesting to kite in no wind with a 15 knot current - should work if you can get the kite flying....

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Xtream » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:47 pm

CTpedro Wrote:
The latest iteration with the giant cutout looks like it may have gone a little too far and removed that useful material from the spot with the most projected area. The original small notch made a little more sense.
I asked them about that. The new radical design cut out, I was told from the testing they have done it has made the kite faster and improved the overall performance, even the re-launch. The re-launch is something to see on this kite.
The Batwing 12 is fast and loops amazing, bar pressure and hook pressure is real light.
I’m looking forward to flying the kite in both low and high winds to get a real feel for it. I’m going to pick one up and give a try for 30 day, I’ll get as many sessions in different conditions after that I will post a review.
John told me they are still tweaking the larger 15.5 but I think the 12 are ready for production. From what I saw I don’t think I will need anything bigger than the 12?

X

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:19 am

just do a video with relaunch, turning and some big airs, then we can see what this kite can do!

And the bigger the jump the more likely people are interested!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:41 pm

windwing site actually has a video already showing the relaunch -I think it is the one at the HR sand bar. Looks good, although it twists around the skinny middle part a lot,
it does not invert or bowtie, and launches fast.
Need to see more "action, " though. :-?
I hope to make it to Hatteras to demo, will post if I do...

Return to “Kitesurfing”