Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Would you like to see the return of the HELLFISH?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:01 pm

i couldn't handle trawling through the crap on this forum for months during and after the "hellfish" drama.

"HellfishGate"

"BestGate"?

lol

you americans always have the best cockups!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windrider » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Patrickm86 wrote:I think the question is should they call this new kite the Hellfish. It's all marketing. Personally I think there is so much negativity associated with the name any comeback would casue some confusion.
I agree wholeheartedly. The HellFish name has too much bad baggage associated with it. It would associate the new kite with a previous fiasco and cause confusion. No benefit to the idea. Lot's of negative potential without any gain.

SlimShaddy
Frequent Poster

Postby SlimShaddy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Jesse,

Get a clue, the horse has long since been dead..
Your only making yourself out to look like a sadist by beating on what is clearly a dead horse

GET A FARGON LIFE!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Patrickm86 wrote:The hellfish did return in 2006 as the nemesis pro.
I think you'll find that that was just a hastily done CAD drawing just after the Crossbow was announced. (I seem to remember Best claimed it was an actual photo and came out with some ludicrous "we did it first" bollocks - so obviously a fake though.)

:lol: It still makes me laugh. Best claiming some ground-breaking change in kiting whilst Bruno/Takoon/Cabrinha/GK quietly get on with actually doing it. What a bunch of tools.

Patrickm86
Medium Poster

Postby Patrickm86 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:59 pm

FredMurphy wrote:
Patrickm86 wrote:The hellfish did return in 2006 as the nemesis pro.
I think you'll find that that was just a hastily done CAD drawing just after the Crossbow was announced. (I seem to remember Best claimed it was an actual photo and came out with some ludicrous "we did it first" bollocks - so obviously a fake though.)

:lol: It still makes me laugh. Best claiming some ground-breaking change in kiting whilst Bruno/Takoon/Cabrinha/GK quietly get on with actually doing it. What a bunch of tools.
\

the 2006 nemesis pro was a full production kite. It was a high aspect C kite. I am aware of the Phantom bladderless flat kite you are refering to. I think best made a mistake with the whole name thing. The nemesis pro C kite confused some people. I really don't think many people bought that kite, the yarga pro was more popular.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 am

yarga pro and nemesis pro were full production Cuben leading edged C-kites. the Yarga was much closer to the original Hellfish in shape than the Nemesis.

and the name for the next kite is already decided, and it's not Hellfish...

tiger20
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tiger20 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:18 am

sq225917 wrote:and the name for the next kite is already decided, and it's not Hellfish...
Devilfish?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 am

tiger20 wrote:Devilfish?
Reliable sources have indicated the new kite will be called the "BlowFish"

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 am

spork wrote:
tiger20 wrote:Devilfish?
Reliable sources have indicated the new kite will be called the "BlowFish"
ClownFish? FlatFish?

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Tue May 01, 2007 3:59 am

or potentially "the suckerfish".

While I agree that Best did what they had to in refunding buyers kites the whole incident revealed a lot about the company. For those that came late, as I recall it:

They made claims about kite size and weight which were found to be inconsistent with kites sold to the public

They accused one of their manufacturers of being a "rogue seamstress" and sewing dodgy stitching when a couple of kites failed (when AFAIK the problem ended up being design)

They claimed to have developed a special cuben laminate just for the application and then later admitted it was just off the shelf stuff (see gumball's posts)

They claimed it was thoroughly tested and super tough and then found that almost every kite self destructed because the method of joining material together wasn't correct which infers that the amount of testing done on the kites actually sold was minimal (less than the short life of the production kites).

Now I think Best have come a long way since then (though their marketing still grates) but I don't think that refunding dissapointed buyers investment exhonerates them of all their sins during the hellfish episode. They set themselves up for a fall by fabricating hype and deliberately misleading kiters with misinformation. While I'm sure there are other instances of that happening in kiting the hellfish debacle was bigger than any I can think of.

Return to “Kitesurfing”