Kiter code

Forum for kitesurfers
Tommyboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tommyboy » Wed May 09, 2007 4:15 am

I was riding in sideshore conditions, and I understand that it can be difficult to grab a kite in conditions like that but at the very least he could have come back for me after he realized he couldnt get the kite.
The swim was not bad at all until I reached the inside. then it was hell. I should have realized that it was going to be bad, but i kept on swimming.
The thing is that he refused to drag me in. I told him to bring me in first and then get the kite second but he opted to let me swim with my board to shore while he got the kite. Fine, do it then. But he didnt.
I had my leash attatched to the chicken loop, so when the center line snapped the leash did nothing.
Oh yeah, and while I'm venting a bit. What's the deal with Flexifoil's Atom bar? This is the second chicken line that has broken, the first one broke while I was kiting among hundereds of sharks ("ohh this is just great"). This new one had like 6 sessions under its belt!

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Wed May 09, 2007 8:40 am

Tommyboy wrote: Oh yeah, and while I'm venting a bit. What's the deal with Flexifoil's Atom bar? This is the second chicken line that has broken, the first one broke while I was kiting among hundereds of sharks ("ohh this is just great"). This new one had like 6 sessions under its belt!
6 sessions!?! There must be something prematurely wearing the line. Have a look for any sharp burrs or edges around the bar hole. Also look at the chicken loop attachment to make sure there isn't anything sharp there either. That rate of wear is way too high!

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 am

Well In my opinion, It realy all depends on the circumstances. Was the Kite a potential hazard to others? If so, the the Kite comes first. You go into the water knowing the dangers, some dude on shore or downwind in the water getting hit by your loose kite does not. The safety of others not involved in the sport come before you every day.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 09, 2007 10:07 am

well, if he decides, it was too hard, you have to accept it. But if he didn't really try, it is pretty poor.

You lost the kite, not him...

speedreef
Medium Poster

Postby speedreef » Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 am

tommyboy be honest now
was it karma?
I was the guy that everyone helped while I was a newb
boards, kites, body etc.
I was never called upon to help anyone, and wondered how bad my payback was going to be
this dude was a mile out, early in a long overdue session, his kite was a wet blanket in the water and his eyes as big as saucers...
any one here drag in a kite when the LE has exploded and filled with h20?
forgot to clip the one pump so the struts are gone?
and your victim is panicked?
long story short everything got to shore in two trips and my reward, beside a debt repaid to my aforemention helpers, was this purple and yellow contusion where the victim had himself latched on to my bicep .
(before he mellowed a bit and got hold of the harness handle)
payback is a bitch

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Keeping an eye on fellow water users is a given I think, never know when you'll need help no matter your level. I remember a windsurfing mate of mine brought in a well know pro kiter (2 line days) after his gear got trashed in the waves, he didn't know who he was until he got in. Generally if I see someone going downwind a long way I'll go down and check on them and ask if they need help. Sometimes it's a new guy who can't find their board and just pointing it out can make all the difference.

Baboon

Postby Baboon » Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Tommyboy wrote:This is the second chicken line that has broken, the first one broke while I was kiting among hundereds of sharks ("ohh this is just great"). This new one had like 6 sessions under its belt!
Tommyboy.....this may be because you have a big likeing for pies if your avatar picture is correct. :D :D

blameing someone else for your missfortune serves absolutely no use and relying on someone else to drag you out the shit when you put yourself in the shit is not too clever.

Move on . On the plus side you may have learn`t something . Either way bang the mom if you can :lol:

Ero7
Rare Poster

Postby Ero7 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 pm

20-25 N 10-15ft seas in S. FL decide to do a downwinder with another kiter (an acquintance).
Isnt there a kiter code or something thast says when someone needs help you help them? WTF!!
The CODE says...
1. NO WHINING. If you come out of an accident in one piece be grateful, not bitchy. Accidents do happen and will happen, this ain't ballroom dancing. If you have a problem with that - stop kitesurfing and go practice waltz.

2. Whatever happens to YOUR gear is YOUR responsibility. Before going out make sure you can 100% rely on your gear and your "buddy". If you want to blame something/someone - see rules 1 then 2 again and again.

3. If situation becomes deadly/dangerous/way too sketchy/etc. - drop everything and help the kiter in trouble no matter what.

[Doesn't sound to me like you were in that kind of trouble. Self-rescue is part of the drill, if you didn't realize that yet - take more lessons.]

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:48 pm

original message expired
Last edited by tungsten222 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 09, 2007 4:21 pm

don't think a beginner would bring in your gear...that would be too much to ask! They shouldn't put them self into danger for your gear.

I also judge conditions if I should help rescuing gear. If it puts me into danger, I don't do it. It is just money, my life and health is worth more.

The situation changes, if other people are endangered, in whatever situation ever.

Return to “Kitesurfing”